Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

yea, its hilarious. The kid is a Xavier boy, from a golfing family and grew up in Malvern.
has zero connection with the surf coast (except for the sweet property deal he's been offered down there )

So private school educated people raised in the inner-city can’t possibly enjoy the beach? Again - check his Instagram - he is pretty bloody fond of posting photos of him at the beach.

They were funny.

Bit of straw clutching there IMO.

A player letting their hair down at the Brownlow is about 175th on the list of worrying behaviour (as long as it isn't Fevola levels).

That sits on the level of 'club should cancel Mad Monday because they didn't have a good season'. The players are humans.

I'm not saying you were campaigning for us to pursue Cam Rayner, but having a jolly old laugh immediately after registering 7 disposals in a bitterly disappointing loss to a bottom 4 side is far more egregious behaviour.
I think the point is that the Brownlow antics may often be a reflection of other things going on which we don't see.

Similarly to when Burton left the Hawks, there were some passing comments from players about Burton rating himself, his obvious displeasure at not winning the Rising Star, and he appeared in a club video or two where he gave off a bit of an unpleasant vibe - nothing too extreme - but small signs. Next year he's shuffled off as part of the Chad deal and no one at the club seems altogether too unhappy he's gone.

It's rarely one incident, most of the time players and clubs fall apart there's so much to read between the lines.

I think the point is that the Brownlow antics may often be a reflection of other things going on which we don't see.

Similarly to when Burton left the Hawks, there were some passing comments from players about Burton rating himself, his obvious displeasure at not winning the Rising Star, and he appeared in a club video or two where he gave off a bit of an unpleasant vibe - nothing too extreme - but small signs. Next year he's shuffled off as part of the Chad deal and no one at the club seems altogether too unhappy he's gone.

It's rarely one incident, most of the time players and clubs fall apart there's so much to read between the lines.
I am not sure Ryan has embraced his new Club, perhaps he has matured and is well received, ask Sizzlesilk who will undoubtedly know better.

The cheap land is conspiracy-minded Hawthorn supporters who are so kindly letting Geelong live rent free in their head.

I mean, Bowes couldn’t possibly have wanted to join a premiership winning team who had just had a big vacancy open up in their midfield - must have been the land deal. Tanner Bruhn couldn’t have possibly wanted to return home - must have been the land deal. Jeremy Cameron being a country boy couldn’t possibly have wanted to join the only regional Victorian side - must have been the land deal. Dangerfield couldn’t have wanted to return closer to home and play for his boyhood club - must have been the land deal. Bazlenka couldn’t possibly want to join a side close to the ocean, which he clearly loves, in an area where his big corporate gig is located - must be the land deal.
Tanner Bruhn's parents purchased land just after he signed on at Geelong and built a new house. The land deals are real just ask Isaac Smith.

It's not just - here have some free land.
It's selling land for a discounted price - so land might be worth $1million and it's sold for $500 000.
The player still has to want the Geelong lifestyle which is not for everyone, but post COVID seems to be much more popular.

Last edited:
Geelong has alot of subdivision and land release happening. The good lots always get snapped up before the release goes to market, usually by developers or investors that are in the know. Also being first in might mean you get a good price before things start gentrifying around it.

It makes alot of sense that if Geelong have people in the know that opportunities are there for current players and recruits.

Edit: this is just my outside perspective looking in, and my opinion on the potential state of things.

Geelong has alot of subdivision and land release happening. The good lots always get snapped up before the release goes to market, usually by developers or investors that are in the know. Also being first in might mean you get a good price before things start gentrifying around it.

It makes alot of sense that if Geelong have people in the know that opportunities are there for current players and recruits.

Edit: this is just my outside perspective looking in, and my opinion on the potential state of things.
All of the above - the developers have had close ties with the Geelong FC for years and have been leveraging this relationship to lure players for quite some time. It’s real and it’s happening. It’s one big boys club and we are not in it…

Version I’d heard many years ago was that certain players would get the opportunity to purchase a few acres of agriculturally zoned land. Very cheap market rate, but can’t do much with it.

Then after a few years zoning would happen to change to allow for residential development and a developer would buy the land at a healthy market rate.

No dodgy gifting of house and land packages or anything off the books. Just the opportunity to invest in some property that will definitely increase significantly in value over the short to medium term.

yea, its hilarious. The kid is a Xavier boy, from a golfing family and grew up in Malvern.
has zero connection with the surf coast (except for the sweet property deal he's been offered down there )
Substitute Cotton On deal for Sweet Property Deal and you are on the money. That’s what’s made him turn his head and seriously consider them.

All of the above - the developers have had close ties with the Geelong FC for years and have been leveraging this relationship to lure players for quite some time. It’s real and it’s happening. It’s one big boys club and we are not in it…
For a long time Geelong FC would have been the biggest business or close to operating in the region. That might not be the case any more or moving forward but the ties have been established between them and development.

Version I’d heard many years ago was that certain players would get the opportunity to purchase a few acres of agriculturally zoned land. Very cheap market rate, but can’t do much with it.

Then after a few years zoning would happen to change to allow for residential development and a developer would buy the land at a healthy market rate.

No dodgy gifting of house and land packages or anything off the books. Just the opportunity to invest in some property that will definitely increase significantly in value over the short to medium term.
That's how I would see it go down, but to be fair similar opportunities could be found elsewhere, clubs in the inner east of Melbourne, you would have been able to buy and live close by to you job and seen substantial gains over your career.

Being in the know for anything really is a massive competitive edge.

Would be good if we could get something like this at Dingley, is it a built up area or new development area?

And is it close to anything good that people would want to move there, how far is say to Phillip island or is that opposite direction?

I didn’t say he surfs - but a casual glance at his Instagram shows that he’s pretty bloody fond of being by the water.
If the surf isn’t an issue I know of plenty of beaches that also have sand and water that aren’t in or around Geelong.

The cheap land is conspiracy-minded Hawthorn supporters who are so kindly letting Geelong live rent free in their head.

I mean, Bowes couldn’t possibly have wanted to join a premiership winning team who had just had a big vacancy open up in their midfield - must have been the land deal. Tanner Bruhn couldn’t have possibly wanted to return home - must have been the land deal. Jeremy Cameron being a country boy couldn’t possibly have wanted to join the only regional Victorian side - must have been the land deal. Dangerfield couldn’t have wanted to return closer to home and play for his boyhood club - must have been the land deal. Bazlenka couldn’t possibly want to join a side close to the ocean, which he clearly loves, in an area where his big corporate gig is located - must be the land deal.

I enjoy making light of the conspiracy theorist around here, but the land stuff is legitimate.

Though I agree that these players have likely chosen to move to Geelong for the reasons you've outlined. Bowes in particular had a choice between a top side that had spent months longer trying to woo him and work out a deal, or a bottom side.

Smith will probably join them for the reasons you've outlined, plus he would get to be the key midfield centrepiece alongside Holmes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not usually one to join in on the nuffie conspiracies but I’ve heard enough of this one from sources close to the club that suggest that there is some truth to it. Maybe not as overt as it’s made out but definitely there’s some looking after.

Would be good if we could get something like this at Dingley, is it a built up area or new development area?

And is it close to anything good that people would want to move there, how far is say to Phillip island or is that opposite direction?

There is land around Dingley which is/was former market gardens, landfill from around the area.

Phillip island is not close, the Mornington Peninsula is an hour away, the St Kilda beach etc is 20/25 minutes away.

so basically we don't stand a chance against Geelong if they're ever interested in the same player ?

DEAL FOR NASHI GOES PEAR SHAPED

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

There is land around Dingley which is/was former market gardens, landfill from around the area.

Phillip island is not close, the Mornington Peninsula is an hour away, the St Kilda beach etc is 20/25 minutes away.
Mornington is 30 minutes away from Dingley. Approximately the same time it takes to get from Geelong to Torquay.

Edit: There are also multiple beaches all the way down to Mornington along the coast.

Are we able to offer any new recruits some land in the forward pocket of Training Oval Number 3 at Dingley? Might get the Smith deal across the line......

Tanner Bruhn's parents purchased land just after he signed on at Geelong and built a new house. The land deals are real just ask Isaac Smith.

It's not just - here have some free land.
It's selling land for a discounted price - so land might be worth $1million and it's sold for $500 000.
The player still has to want the Geelong lifestyle which is not for everyone, but post COVID seems to be much more popular.

The $1 pubs are also a thing. Dangerfield and Tex got one in Adelaide, so the idea that Dangerfield wouldnt have also been interested in something like that from Geelong is simply crazy.

Any club that can do an off-the-books deal will do an off-the-books deal. Im sure we have done similar things. Though likely not to the level of Geelong and Carlton.

Eddie and the Footy Show got Cloke a 6 year Footy Show deal which just happened to match his Collingwood contract. There is no way he would have ever been on TV if not playing for Collingwood. He was a shocker. Apparently it was $100k a year and he was only on a couple of times a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back