Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's worth looking at 'something' like this for a bit of mature coverage. I haven't followed Membrey close enough in recent years to know if he is up to it, but I agree with the thinking behind looking at someone like him in the short term. With Lewis out our key position forward depth is non existent. Battle will help a lot as gives us a bit of flexibility, such as throwing himself or Sicily forward, but another one, someone like Membrey, who can at least fill in if injury to Dear or Choll occurs in would be useful. Scaife hopefully might be that player but is still so young. Good sides have that depth. Look at Brisbane, they wanted Ryan from us just for depth for their tall forwards even though theirs are stronger than ours.

I wouldn't do it. I don't think Membrey is a good fit. Getting on too. Unless Sam Mitchell is thinking Stuart Dew. Anyway, the way I look at the forward line is that Gunners most likely retires but we pick up Battle and have Serong too. Frees up Weddle who moves forward and plays the third tall taking Gunners spot. Weddle can play anywhere and there is midfield, wing etc. but I think we have plenty of fat in those positions.

I think it's worth looking at 'something' like this for a bit of mature coverage. I haven't followed Membrey close enough in recent years to know if he is up to it, but I agree with the thinking behind looking at someone like him in the short term. With Lewis out our key position forward depth is non existent. Battle will help a lot as gives us a bit of flexibility, such as throwing himself or Sicily forward, but another one, someone like Membrey, who can at least fill in if injury to Dear or Choll occurs in would be useful. Scaife hopefully might be that player but is still so young. Good sides have that depth. Look at Brisbane, they wanted Ryan from us just for depth for their tall forwards even though theirs are stronger than ours.
Membrey is over 30 and shorter (188) than Finn Maginness. Not the type we need.

Ramsden plays if Chol misses. If we get Battle, remember that Blanck is also returning, so plenty of tall defenders, allowing Sicily or Weddle can ram HF if Dear is out.

With the way this year has panned out (exceeding expectations) I’d think the club would believe were a chance at a flag next year with a healthy list.
List management decisions would then most likely also include covering gaps in the list for the shorter term.

At the minute we’re one Chol injury away from being very vulnerable up forward (asides from Gunston very inexperienced key forwards on the list).
It wouldn’t surprise me the slightest if we opted for a stop gap backup key forward for 12-24mths purely as a backup so if we did get injuries we could call upon that player so our system isn’t completely shot. (Can’t rely on a 19yo Dear / Scaife / Ramsden / McCabe to take all of the load)
We have the salary cap…let’s use it wisely
Who doesn’t have a contract for next year and would be tempted for the role?

With the way this year has panned out (exceeding expectations) I’d think the club would believe were a chance at a flag next year with a healthy list.
List management decisions would then most likely also include covering gaps in the list for the shorter term.

At the minute we’re one Chol injury away from being very vulnerable up forward (asides from Gunston very inexperienced key forwards on the list).
It wouldn’t surprise me the slightest if we opted for a stop gap backup key forward for 12-24mths purely as a backup so if we did get injuries we could call upon that player so our system isn’t completely shot. (Can’t rely on a 19yo Dear / Scaife / Ramsden / McCabe to take all of the load)
We have the salary cap…let’s use it wisely
Who doesn’t have a contract for next year and would be tempted for the role?
Completely agree. Lots of people arguing that we have enough fwd depth with dear/scaife/ramsden however these guys are still really unproven with scaife not even playing a game at afl level yet. We're better off signing/trading for a kpf who can walk into our 22 while the others keep developing.

Almost certainly a complete lie hahaha.

But I will dream for a second. Quaynor would be an unreal pickup. Absolute gun.
Find it hard to believe he would sign a 4 year contract extension in January and then want to leave for how they treated ginnivan in october the year before

I think I'll just repeat what I think we should do as I did late last night. Listen to Rob McCartney from last week, he outlines that we chasing a defender and a kpf even with Lewis been available.
So, the defender is battle . The kpf? I reckon lure the King brother from GC, big crowds, rivalries, big finals , bunch of frwds to take the pressure off from him and speed of ball movement should be enough to get him thinking! I honestly think he'd be a great get for us!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I'll just repeat what I think we should do as I did late last night. Listen to Rob McCartney from last week, he outlines that we chasing a defender and a kpf even with Lewis been available.
So, the defender is battle . The kpf? I reckon lure the King brother from GC, big crowds, rivalries, big finals , bunch of frwds to take the pressure off from him and speed of ball movement should be enough to get him thinking! I honestly think he'd be a great get for us!
He signed an extension this year.

He just resigned. I think he's pretty happy up on the gold coast.

A King brother would cost two firsts if they wanted to come (even the one who isn't kicking goals).

It's a short list of forwards who are worth it. Curnow, Darcy, probably Jamara, maybe Thilthorpe.

If we're talking a 50+ goal a year kpf who moves the needle, I don't see them out there. If we mean an experienced body to throw at teams or a young guy who sees more opportunity fighting for a spot at Hawthorn then I think things open up.

Quaynor is an average kick

Quaynor is a version of Blake Hardwick but in a more athletic and visually striking body.

I actually find him a little overrated. Strong in a contest and a good lock down defender, but the fact he has an All Australian squad nomination and Hardwick doesn't is actually a bit ridiculous.

at the risk of sounding like I only think Hawthorn make the right calls, since we arent in the rooms and on the calls with agents and other teams its simply way to easy to say they missed on this guy but they offered so much money. Never know where that is being leaked from. The one thing that seems to be consistent is that Hawthorn themselves dont leak so where else would that be coming from? My guess is either Geelong to try and make Port give up more or his agent to get more money out of it from Port. He was always going there and had been in talks with them for two years. Not saying Hawthorn didnt enquire but the reporting that they offered a lot of money only seemed to happen when the Port links seemed at their strongest late in the season.

Either way, he ended up there, Hawks didnt give the money to him that you cant get past and we as a fanbase are enjoying a fun season based a lot on recruits they did get in Chol, Ginnivan, Mass and Gunston
Well they did get picks 76 and 95! Although to be fair one of those they used to get Lawson Humphries who looks pretty decent value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back