Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The only way Barrass gets done without a 1st round pick is if we give up someone like Ward or CJ.

Even then I'd reckon they'd want a 2nd rounder on top.

DGB won't get anything done, except make WCE laugh.

Barrass for Ward / CJ plus 2nd rounder is my guess for WCE price.

It's what we would ask if we were in their position.

I floated the idea of Barrass to Hawks on this board a couple of months ago and interest seemed lukewarm at best. Reading through the posts since Hawks were linked yesterday it seems most are supportive of the idea. An Eagle’s perspective for punters based on the comments:

English is a FA, it’s likely our offer to him is band 1 and I wouldn’t expect the dogs to match that given they would be given a 1R draft pick (currently pick 11) which they currently don’t have. We wouldn’t be giving up any picks for him.

Barrass’s spinal fractures have healed and are very unlikely to make any difference to his football output. His quality of life after football is a different story.

Barrass is contracted until the end of 2027 on a modest salary for his output and is one of the very few elite players on our list. Removing him from our defence would set it back years. I can’t speak directly for our list manager but I’d expect your 1R pick (currently 8 and expect it to blow out a bit with your excellent form) would be an absolute minimum. I’m not sure we’d even accept that given he’s contracted until the end of 2027 and there’s multiple clubs with interest.

We do need to find a way to improve our draft hand over the next couple of years and trading an asset like Barrass for the right price would be one way of doing that.
Would think if they moved off someone like Barrass it would be in an attempt to get assets to move into the position to get Bo Allen in the draft so they can pick at their pick and get Allen in as well and can then match the bid on Champion and suddenly they are walking away with 3 potentially first round guys plus getting English (if that happens) it would be the main reason I could see them being open to the move mostly because at the end of the day they dont actually have to trade him because of the contract. Think your asking price is pretty spot on for what WC would want its worth...not that many in here will agree with you

The only way Barrass gets done without a 1st round pick is if we give up someone like Ward or CJ.

Did CJ steal your girl?

It’s getting pathetic now.

Did CJ steal your girl?

It’s getting pathetic now.

Who else do you think will be suitable?

Or is he not good enough for WCE?

Is that what you are saying?

I've listed Ward as well, or in your rush to be the defender of CJ's manhood, did you miss that?

Who else then smartarse?

Henry? Harry? Finn?

Pretty short list of candidates really - but CJ is non-tradeable then?

Righto.

This is honestly where I think it ends up. Tom himself has been pretty emphatic that he wants to stay, he is contracted for multiple years and West Coast dont have a heap that will bring back serious assets I think they would be asking for a first plus sweetener and that isnt DGB and more importantly they are well within their rights to with a player of his talents in contract.

Think there is a better chance Mitchell has made the call to ask but the price will be too high and they move on
Agreed. I really think this is WC driving this similar to how we did when we were trying to move on Mitchell and JOM. Just like us they'll be hoping to get another team to bite for a ridiculous offer which they might or might not get. As good as Barrass is I think any club entertaining the idea of bringing him in will have there cut off point on what his value is.

As you say butlers hawks from what we know publicly there's a couple of teams throwing there hat in the ring BUT Barrass has openly stated he wants to stay at WC. This to me screams of WC trying to move him on. It will be interesting to see what they're willing to let him go for.

Agreed. I really think this is WC driving this similar to how we did when we were trying to move on Mitchell and JOM. Just like us they'll be hoping to get another team to bite for a ridiculous offer which they might or might not get. As good as Barrass is I think any club entertaining the idea of bringing him in will have there cut off point on what his value is.

As you say butlers hawks from what we know publicly there's a couple of teams throwing there hat in the ring BUT Barrass has openly stated he wants to stay at WC. This to me screams of WC trying to move him on. It will be interesting to see what they're willing to let him go for.
My mate has a theory that made me laugh

Was that Hawthorn are trying to drive up the price that the Dogs are needing to pay as payback for them not trading Bailey Smith last year

its nothing if not creative

We don’t!
We need a Finn Callahan or a Hayden Young!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We're struggling to find room for both Ward AND Mackenzie currently.

Either of them can develop into a genuine gun mid.

We won't get Callaghan or Young and look likely to miss out on Baz, but the development of both Ward and Frenchy is a very promising 'fall back option'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who else do you think will be suitable?

Or is he not good enough for WCE?

Is that what you are saying?

I've listed Ward as well, or in your rush to be the defender of CJ's manhood, did you miss that?

Who else then smartarse?

Henry? Harry? Finn?

Pretty short list of candidates really - but CJ is non-tradeable then?

Righto.

Your week in week out hate of CJ is getting boring.

Last edited:
If Barrass makes his way to Dingley, they are going to have to extend the trophy cabinet.

Barrass is 100% worth a 1st round pick if you equate it to Premierships
(Pay the price)
He is easily worth a first-round pick in the double digits. He's one of the competition's elite defenders and interceptors.

Whether Hawks should pay that price is up for debate. But in no world would (or should) the Eagles ask for less than a solid 1st for a contracted player on a reasonable salary. He will sadly never get over his back problems but watching him this year it hardly impacts his performance in-game.

Why would Ward or CJ agree to be traded away from Hawthorn and Victoria and move their life to play in WA for a team that will be bottom 4 for years to come?

He is easily worth a first-round pick in the double digits. He's one of the competition's elite defenders and interceptors.

Whether Hawks should pay that price is up for debate. But in no world would (or should) the Eagles ask for less than a solid 1st for a contracted player on a reasonable salary. He will sadly never get over his back problems but watching him this year it hardly impacts his performance in-game.
It’s a very similar position to where we were a few years ago with some of Mitchell, O’meara, Wingard, Breust etc.

Really need to regenerate the list but have limited assets, the older crop all happy. Do you push them out, do you hold them. It’s a tough situation to get right. I do wonder if the Eagles are giving him a gentle nudge behind close doors.

Why did we not ask that for Tom Mitchell then. He was under contract, won a Brownlow too.

Both had medical concerns that were alleviated.

If Ward or CJ are into the mix then will need their 2nd or 3rd rounder added in with Barass.

Why would Ward or CJ agree to be traded away from Hawthorn and Victoria and move their life to play in WA for a team that will be bottom 4 for years to come?

Why did we not ask that for Tom Mitchell then. He was under contract, won a Brownlow too.

Both had medical concerns that were alleviated.

If Ward or CJ are into the mix then will need their 2nd or 3rd rounder added in with Barass.
I agree with both of you.

I'm saying that's what WCE would want - not what we should give.

Ludicrous - but that's what they would ask.

Personally - a 2nd rounder is the max I'd give for Barrass.

It’s a very similar position to where we were a few years ago with some of Mitchell, O’meara, Wingard, Breust etc.

Really need to regenerate the list but have limited assets, the older crop all happy. Do you push them out, do you hold them. It’s a tough situation to get right. I do wonder if the Eagles are giving him a gentle nudge behind close doors.

The thing was, we were actually winning games with them here. Granted we weren't great but we weren't getting flogged week in week out. They've somehow managed to completely stuff up this rebuild. Barass should have gone 2 years ago in return for two firsts - having him around while they are this uncompetitive achieves nothing.

He wants a 5 year deal from West Coast
He's not getting a 5 year deal that's just silly. He won't be there for future success which the club has reiterated to his management. McGovern is more a leader of men for them so losing Barass out of their backline isn't fatal for their rebuild far from it. Think he believes the opposite hence asking for a lengthy contract. This is going to end up exactly like JOM/Mitchell situation because teams have seen the high risk/reward that can come from making gutsy list management decisions firsthand.

Anyone know where projectdingley went? I’d be keen to hear his thoughts on FA/Trade/2024 draft.

DISCLAIMER
I have zero relation/involvement with him. I simply enjoyed reading his opinions during the off season last year.
Who?

He's not getting a 5 year deal that's just silly. He won't be there for future success which the club has reiterated to his management. McGovern is more a leader of men for them so losing Barass out of their backline isn't fatal for their rebuild far from it. Think he believes the opposite hence asking for a lengthy contract. This is going to end up exactly like JOM/Mitchell situation because teams have seen the high risk/reward that can come from making gutsy list management decisions firsthand.
Teams will and should continue to take risks with list management. The problem is timing and perception. Overpaying for a recruit that moves the needle can be the difference between top 6 and multiple GF appearances. But if you overrated your list, or prioritise depth/stars in the wrong area you can cause serious damage.

The issue isn't ever just one individual poor trade. It's the mentality that leads to the trade as that likely informs your overall list management strategy, selection committee, player retention and so on

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back