Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re- Barrass, i honestly think our 1st (current) is to high, but if he comes out and says he wants to come to us could we do some trading of players to get enough points (pick wise) to get the Lions 1st round, since that'll be going on Ashcroft? Maybe something like-
Morrison to Roos with our 3rd rounder for there 2nd rounder.
Reeves to Dogs (if they lose English) for there 2nd rounder, maybe there 3rd.
Mitchell and future 3rd to Crows for there 2nd rounder
That would give us 3/4 2nd rounders to play with. Or would the Eagles just take 2, maybe 3 2nd rounders?

2 second rounders for barrass makes sense for mine.
Funny though, we've been extremely quiet Re- Smith! We've heard about our intentions about Battle, Barras and even Perryman but nothing on Smith.
Don't think for one second the doggies are gonna be friendly in trade talks so good luck to the scats. They have every right to ask for two firsts as a starting point.

Re- Barrass, i honestly think our 1st (current) is to high, but if he comes out and says he wants to come to us could we do some trading of players to get enough points (pick wise) to get the Lions 1st round, since that'll be going on Ashcroft? Maybe something like-
Morrison to Roos with our 3rd rounder for there 2nd rounder.
Reeves to Dogs (if they lose English) for there 2nd rounder, maybe there 3rd.
Mitchell and future 3rd to Crows for there 2nd rounder
That would give us 3/4 2nd rounders to play with. Or would the Eagles just take 2, maybe 3 2nd rounders?

Targeting Brisbane's first is a good idea.

Funny though, we've been extremely quiet Re- Smith! We've heard about our intentions about Battle, Barras and even Perryman but nothing on Smith.
Don't think for one second the doggies are gonna be friendly in trade talks so good luck to the scats. They have every right to ask for two firsts as a starting point.
Let’s hope the Cats pay up for Smith 2 firsts

The club have been pretty public about targeting mature players to accelerate our rise up the ladder. We’ve made it clear we want another elite, pacy mid, another kpf and kpd.

With a huge cap and a willingness to trade draft capital, we’ve been targeting and making big offers for a number of players over the past few months. It’s clear Sam wants success and wants to capitalise on our momentum.

Just can’t see us going to the draft after all of that, and I think doing so would be a fairly major change in strategy.
Just because we have a first round pick to trade doesn’t mean we should be trading it for whatever is available.

Our pick ups last year barely cost anything yet have drastically improved our position.

Our list is set up for long term success and I hope we keep building with that in mind.

If we are out laying a 1st rounder it should be with the aim of bringing in someone who will give us a minimum 5-6 years top years.

Much better to capitalise on the momentum by continuing to improve the list long term.

It doesn’t matter what we think is fair it only matters what will it take to land him. Eagles hold the cards here all they need to do is give him more money and he will most likely stay and that seems the issue. this is his last significant deal and he seems to feel he’s underpaid. Eagles won’t move him unless it’s a great offer as he’s in contract. So the price it would take is like The deal I structured they would laugh at 2 seconds as they should.

It doesn’t matter what we think is fair it only matters what will it take to land him. Eagles hold the cards here all they need to do is give him more money and he will most likely stay and that seems the issue. this is his last significant deal and he seems to feel he’s underpaid. Eagles won’t move him unless it’s a great offer as he’s in contract. So the price it would take is like The deal I structured they would laugh at 2 seconds as they should.
Spot on. We’re fair at the trade table, we could have walked Brockman to the PSD last year but chose to trade. Given Barrass’s contract status pretty sure we’ll ask for your 1R and Pies 2R. Bit of wiggle room depending on what your 1R ends up as but can’t see a deal happening without it including your 1R.

The big advantage to the Hawks (outside of being an elite KPD, he’s twice the player Battle is) that I can see is that it potentially frees Sicily and/or Weddle to play forward. You’d be one KPF away from having an extraordinarily complete list with maybe one or two role players needed to fill small holes over the next couple of years.

Just because we have a first round pick to trade doesn’t mean we should be trading it for whatever is available.

Our pick ups last year barely cost anything yet have drastically improved our position.

Our list is set up for long term success and I hope we keep building with that in mind.

If we are out laying a 1st rounder it should be with the aim of bringing in someone who will give us a minimum 5-6 years top years.

Much better to capitalise on the momentum by continuing to improve the list long term.
I agree, we shouldn’t be trading out our first pick for the sake of it. Ideally we can keep it and use FA and other picks / future picks for mature players.

My point was more that the club appear very firm and public that the past few years have been about adding draft talent and this year is about strategic targeting of players from other clubs. It’s why we hired Rough, it’s why we’ve been working overtime meeting with other players, sending our leadership group interstate to meet potential recruits, etc.

Can’t see us abandoning this strategy because of how we’ve played this year. If anything I think it’s deepened the clubs resolve that we are just a few chess pieces off competing at the top.

Fixed it for you mate

You forgot

Hawthorn 17 flags
Carlton 16
Collingwood 16
Essendon 16

Becoming the most successful team in
VFL/AFL history.

Which in the end will happen anyway I think the amount of flags we win compared to other teams we will eventually pass them, just a matter of when.

Well, they DO have the option of keeping him for a lot more than they are currently paying him. And there's no reason to be laughing at two seconds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on. We’re fair at the trade table, we could have walked Brockman to the PSD last year but chose to trade. Given Barrass’s contract status pretty sure we’ll ask for your 1R and Pies 2R. Bit of wiggle room depending on what your 1R ends up as but can’t see a deal happening without it including your 1R.

The big advantage to the Hawks (outside of being an elite KPD, he’s twice the player Battle is) that I can see is that it potentially frees Sicily and/or Weddle to play forward. You’d be one KPF away from having an extraordinarily complete list with maybe one or two role players needed to fill small holes over the next couple of years.
Just pay the guy what he wants and keep him mate. And Battle is a very good player. He should be first priority.

Just pay the guy what he wants and keep him mate. And Battle is a very good player. He should be first priority.
If Tom did 3 knees back to back and we asked him to take a pay cut what do you think he’d say? Club and player both take known risks signing long contracts. There’s no reason for the club to renegotiate his deal in terms of $$$ but I’d be open to extending it. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see Tom retire a one club player but given our list state if we were offered a trade where we gain more than we lose of course you’d need to consider it. It’s just a matter of what that threshold is for the club.

Well, they DO have the option of keeping him for a lot more than they are currently paying him. And there's no reason to be laughing at two seconds.
Would you accept 2 x 2R for Sicily? He’s worth more as a footballer than that, let alone his leadership, courage etc. You’ll also see from that clip posted above that Tom also brings a lot more to the club than just his football.

Ross the Boss has given him the guilt trip I reckon. It's the way the guy operates. Be loyal even though I can't guarantee we will be successful and we are treading water you owe us kind of discussion.

If this were the case, get Brian Lake on the phone with Battle to tell him what 3 premiership medallions look like next to a Norm Smith.

If Tom did 3 knees back to back and we asked him to take a pay cut what do you think he’d say? Club and player both take known risks signing long contracts. There’s no reason for the club to renegotiate his deal in terms of $$$ but I’d be open to extending it. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see Tom retire a one club player but given our list state if we were offered a trade where we gain more than we lose of course you’d need to consider it. It’s just a matter of what that threshold is for the club.

Would you accept 2 x 2R for Sicily? He’s worth more as a footballer than that, let alone his leadership, courage etc. You’ll also see from that clip posted above that Tom also brings a lot more to the club than just his football.
Nice to engage with someone especially oppo who gets how this works. Your club are a great club run well always fair at the negotiating table. Now DGB was pick 6 and coming into his prime, so straight Barrass to Barrass swap?😉

Nice to engage with someone especially oppo who gets how this works. Your club are a great club run well always fair at the negotiating table. Now DGB was pick 6 and coming into his prime, so straight Barrass to Barrass swap?😉
If you want to include DGB you’ll need to throw in a F3 to compensate us for the lost list spot. Will he even get a new deal at Hawthorn?

Sometimes we’re a little too fair, we like to get deals done quickly. The way it sits now pick 8 becomes pick 10 minimum and 26 becomes a pick well into the 30s. If WCE named his price at what will materially be pick 10 and 35ish I don’t think too many neutrals would say that’s an unreasonable ask for the circumstances.

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/wZu7yScGjJqS5buH/?mibextid=0VwfS7

Genuinely surprised to hear this from Barrass, seems a very level head and deep thinker.

As an avid reader of Alan Watts, was super surprised/impressed to see this clip of Barrass. If he wants to enjoy the ride, perhaps Hawks is the right place for him, as Hickmott, Mitchell seem to be all about the journey as much as the destination.

Also on Will Schofield's podcasts on Thursday (ex teammates that he still knows well), and he said if he had to say one way or another he thinks Barrass is 'probably gone'. Not sure how much weight that'd have, but was interesting.

There’s still 2 months for the side to continue impressing to turn players’ heads. Players invariably want to join sides in contention. We’ve shown good signs but another 2 months like the last 2 and I reckon we will be well placed to attract players come trade period, including names not even considered yet like last year. If we fall away over the coming weeks it will be harder.

Sometimes we’re a little too fair, we like to get deals done quickly. The way it sits now pick 8 becomes pick 10 minimum and 26 becomes a pick well into the 30s. If WCE named his price at what will materially be pick 10 and 35ish I don’t think too many neutrals would say that’s an unreasonable ask for the circumstances.

Hawks offer 2 R2's

Eagles want R1 and R2.

Assuming Hawks play finals, I am happy if we end up with
Eagles - Hawks R1
Hawks - Barrass & Eagles R2 or F2

Hawks offer 2 R2's

Eagles want R1 and R2.

Assuming Hawks play finals, I am happy if we end up with
Eagles - Hawks R1
Hawks - Barrass & Eagles R2 or F2
So you’re suggesting Hawks R1 that at best is pick 11 for Barrass and our 2R currently pick 23?

We have 2 KPF potentially on the list already outside Mitch Lewis, Dear and Jasper Skaife. We could even throw Will MaCabe forward if Barass comes to us. There's KPF options its whether there good enough to take us to contention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back