Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If Nash were to go as a FA, the types coming up to replace him aren't exactly like for like. I'm thinking mainly Ward and Mackenzie.

If the club needs another tall, agile, defensive type to add to the stoppage mix, I like Alex Davies. GCs midfield is stacked. He's out of contract and GC are only offering him 2 years. I think there's a player there.
Weddle the obvious replacement but confident Nashy will stay. Wouldn’t begrudge him if he got a godfather offer elsewhere and left.

People are probably kidding themselves if they think our re-build is complete.

Just because we can see light at the end of the tunnel, doesn't mean we should sprint towards the finish line; there's kilometres still to run.

Yep topping up to early can put you back a lot.

If Nash were to go as a FA, the types coming up to replace him aren't exactly like for like. I'm thinking mainly Ward and Mackenzie.

If the club needs another tall, agile, defensive type to add to the stoppage mix, I like Alex Davies. GCs midfield is stacked. He's out of contract and GC are only offering him 2 years. I think there's a player there.

I think somebody like Finn. Has the shut down capabilities, from the Boxhill reports has been working on his offensive side as well, would still hate to lose Nash though.

Is it too early GG to begin discussing measures of viscosity?
All you need is a tube, a ball, a stopwatch, and a liquid. You fill the fluid into the tube, drop the ball into the tube, and you measure the time it takes for the ball to drop to the bottom of the tube. Bingo!
Literally all about the ball drop!
;)
Yes, have done this many times. You can also measure the speed of a fixed-size bubble rising.

Yes but we would get nothing if we got battle as both would wipe it compo out.

Would rather trade for Battle if we lost Nash to keep the compo.

If in that scenario, I think we would be better off trying to trade Nash, rather than trying to trade for Battle.

If Nash decided to leave and the compensation was a first round pick, is it possible that may appeal to the Hawks more than a F/A that is available?

Potentially on the move this year is Nash and Morrison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are probably kidding themselves if they think our re-build is complete.

Just because we can see light at the end of the tunnel, doesn't mean we should sprint towards the finish line; there's kilometres still to run.
Honestly I think people are kidding themselves if they think one first round pick is making or breaking a rebuild.

This board spent years lamenting the fact that we got ourselves into a terrible place list wise by giving up too much draft collateral on Mitchell, O'Meara and Wingard. Now we have the most promising young list we've had in ages in spite of both not having those picks, and not having 2/3rds of the players we acquired for them.

Brisbane giving up picks and young players to other clubs for Fevola is running to the finish line, Carlton doing similar for Judd and Daisy Thomas is running to the finish line. Us complementing our young team by filling a list need with the best available player is smart business.

If Smith or Barrass don't work out that's fine. We keep the pick(s) or find another target and move forward

But I'll be shattered if we miss out on Battle. A classy player, a FA, a hawks man, a good person and a perfect fit.
100% agree.

It’s funny, in previous years I’ve been devastated by missing out on players… this year I’m completely non fussed. The development of our group really shows we’re headed for good things and our window is going to be open for a long time!! We have some high end talent coming our way, it’s just a matter of when.

30 years old, injury riddled, missing piece. Stacks up pretty similarly

Difference with Lake is we got him on the cheap by comparison

In 2012 we had just lost the GF, despite being the best team all year. We had a side that had proven elite players on every line of the field, and the only position we were lacking in was KPD. That team was developed and primed for sustained success, and had proven it was one of the best (the best) sides in the competition.

IMO this would be the same if we were having this discussion regarding Barrass in a year or two.

This season we are flying home with a wet sail, but will still likely miss out on finals as we are relying on other results to fall our way (provided we keep winning). We also have Frost having a career best season, who is of a similar age.

Lake came cheap, and was the most obvious missing piece traded in that I can ever remember. Such a seamless fit.

Last edited:
In 2012 we had just lost the GF, despite being the best team all year. We had a side that had proven elite players on every line of the field, and the only position we were lacking in was KPD. That team was developed and primed for sustained success, and had proven it was one of the best (the best) sides in the competition.

IMO this would be similar the same if we were having this discussion in a year or two.

This season we are flying home with a wet sail, but will still likely miss out on finals as we are relying on other results to fall our way (provided we keep winning). We also have Frost having a career best season, who is of a similar age.

Lake came cheap, and was the most obvious missing piece traded in that I can ever remember. Such a seamless fit.
Barrass feels a lot like Lake in that it makes sense for a team with a win now window that’s going to drop off in a couple of years. Was perfect for us in 2012 with Lake.

Barrass will be past his best when our list is peaking.

Plus Lake was twice the player Barrass is and cost pretty much nothing in comparison. Eagles won’t let him go without us paying a King’s ransom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back