Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it would be hard to walkout on your mates, he’s playing good footy and has strong connections. It’s understandable, purely from the human element.

From an outsiders point of view, it’s seems like absolute madness to stay.
Let's see how he feels after the Lions touch them up on Sunday

I understand he won’t make a definitive call until the end the season.
Not many players do that and actually end up staying. The only one I can think off on the top of my head is Cogs and the last i checked the Saints don't roll out ambassadorial deals. Say he has made up his mind to come to us try to put yourself in his shoes and how you'd handle the situation. If it was me I'd be rolling with 'I haven't made up my mind yet and won't until the end of the season'. It would be pretty uncomfortable rocking up to work every day if in fact you know yourself that you're leaving and have to look at all your teammates, coaches and staff in the eye everyday.

Bolton would be worth a lot and Richmond need to start their rebuild before Tassie come into the league.

Freo are gearing up for a flag tilt. They have some great pieces already and are one of the youngest sides in the league, plus they have a great draft hand. They'll make this happen.
Bell usually drives a hard bargain- I reckon he’ll try not to give up too much for Bolton- Tiges might not get the war chest of picks they think they’re gonna get…

Talk of 800k is foolish to you

But the offer is closer to 800k than 1 mil

And he will be a Hawk

Saints fans have constantly clung to the fact that we have to offer an exorbitant amount over St Kilda to get him out

We do not
I think Stkilda would be licking their lips at the compensation they'll get. I do not think they will fight hard for him if they expect band 1. Even end of the first round would be adequate for them.

But remember, Stkilda expected to just re-sign him on modest contract and now they have to pay market rates or more. Hawthorn probably willing to pay a big more knowi they need to persuade him to leave and also the value of not having to trade for him is worth the cap space.

As the salary goes up Stkilda think do we really keep him on that much? We will get a draft pick if he leaves.

Melbourne absolutely had enough cap space to convince James Frawley to stay and he would have stayed at Melbourne if they offered close to a fair contract. They offered him next to nothing while the reigning premiers offered a flag and more money and longer contract.

Melbourne built a flag off that decision. Getting petracca and Brayshaw.

The talk is that Barrass was promised by former list manager Rohan O'Brien who stepped down that his contract would be renegotiated. This is why Barrass is disgruntled and is willing to move as the new list manager Matthew Clarke has obviously earmarked Barrass as a player that isn't in their future plans and can be moved for draft assets.

Where a fair club in negotiations but I really hope that we remember that they're actually pushing him out the door and actually reneging on what was mentioned as a verbal handshake. I'm not saying we should lowball them but I'm not giving anything more than 1 x 1st rounder and with that said I'd be open by offering our F1.
Crazy that they are making these calls without a coach.

But also not surprising at all that players nearing 30 would want to leave a bottom 4 side that is transitioning coaches so likely to reset rebuild. We saw it with Isaac smith, he didn't want to spend is last few years in a struggling side or wait to get pushed out knowing the new coach wants to make the list his own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liam Jones is 33, May is 32, Gov is 32, Collins 30.. Key defenders take longer to reach their peak but they tend to stay near it longer.

Barrass will be 33 on grand final day in 2029, good time to retire on par with Lake with 3 flags and a norm smith medal.
If he comes to Hawthorn grand final day 2029 will be his 6th premiership. 2018, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.

Swinging forward to bag 3 in a game every now & then is pretty handy. I don't think anyone sees him playing as a Forward, but I like the ability to drift forward during games

Him, Hardwick, Sicily and Weddle, all having a crack in the forward line, would make us extremely unpredictable. 5-10 minutes of Hardwick shutting down and creating more forward pressure, Battle and Sis, reading the play, and providing aerial contests, Weds doing the Weddle things. Ginni and Watson would be having field day, as would Chol and Dear. The opposition back man wouldn’t know who or how to contain.

They are lucky they’ve timed their bottoming out just prior Tassie coming in. Possibly back to back #1 picks coming up.
They are still going to be in a really tough spot. Potentially middle of the road in 2027 but pick 8 would be getting pushed back to 15 and Tasmania will get 5 first rounders, clubs with get compo for free agents poached (gc and GWS rules made every uncontacted player a free agent) then the father son and academy too.

You need to be peaking when they come in. Being 6-10 you won't have access to the draft or free agents to improve your list. Even tradd wise you won't have valuable draft picks to offer up.

We're at the point in which other players can do what Sicily does quite well, at least well enough, that we can afford Sicily as a forward. Dam, it might just be essential for us to win a premiership next year.

I'd love it if we go there playing mostly as we are, then shifted him as a high/CH-forward as a wildcard in the finals.
We do not have another player who can play the Sicily role like he does. Neither do any of the other 17 clubs.

Sicily is by far the best at his role in the comp as shown by his AA selection. He can take contested marks and intercepts better than all the other defenders like stewart, battle, lever etc AND he is THE best kick in the comp too.

Why do Stkilda players keep saying he is?
Because Ross has spun his web. Josh believes his propaganda. He will wait until the end of the season. HFC will increase its offer. StKilda aiming to get level one compensation. Watch Ross drop him then, should that be achieved. I understand the HFC current offer does NOT guarantee level one compo at the moment. A lot relies on the success or otherwise of the Barrass negotiations.

Last edited:
We do not have another player who can play the Sicily role like he does. Neither do any of the other 17 clubs.

Sicily is by far the best at his role in the comp as shown by his AA selection. He can take contested marks and intercepts better than all the other defenders like stewart, battle, lever etc AND he is THE best kick in the comp too.
Yep.
Keeping our best kick in the play as much as possible is always a benefit.
Love Sicily drifting forward, but if he started there every week it's easy to plan for and I think we would be a lesser team.
Albeit he was younger, but when he was a full time forward the lean spells seemed to effect his confidence.

Surprised at the lack of excitement over the possiblity of Sicily playing forward IF we land the Barrass/Battle double.

He's pushed forward a few times this year and scored multiple games on those occasions.

It wouldn't need to be a permanent move, but can anybody tell me why this couldn't work?...

B. Hardwick Barrass Scrimshaw
HB. Amon Battle Impey
C. Weddle Day D'Ambrosio
HF. Moore Dear Sicily
F. Watson Chol Ginnivan
I don't completely hate the idea but we would be giving up huge money 800+ a year minimum for Barrass, all so that we can move one of our best players who is one of the best defenders in the league up forward where he was only ever at best extremely average.

Sicily the defender >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sicily the forward.

Pardon my intrusion, what I think will happen with Barrass, is you will offer a trade of Barrass and our second rounder for your first rounder, we will ask for your first rounder and second rounder (or future second rounder) and at the last minute we will accept a trade of Barrass for your first rounder.

I think a straight swap of Barrass for pick ~10 is fair, considering he is 29 but has 3 or so years to go on his contract. If you make finals and out first week, ~12 is acceptable. If you make semi finals or higher, ~14 or so, I suspect we'll want something else as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back