Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We are definitely the go to club for player managers to come and push up their player’s contract.
While that’s certainly been the case for several years now, the wheel will turn if our trajectory keeps going up. It’s why club intel is of limited value though. Players and their managers just routinely play games to drive up price

He's a coin grabber mate. We got flipping used again.
This is common in all sports. There are clubs that are seen as easy beats because they have big gaps to fill. They always get used. You have players mocking them by going through the entire process of visiting facilities and doing through the whole process over time just to get a better price from their real target club. HFC needs to get smarter at the process. One thing I would suggest is to have a really tight up front screening process and stop entertaining blow flies.

This is common in all sports. There are clubs that are seen as easy beats because they have big gaps to fill. They always get used. You have players mocking them by going through the entire process of visiting facilities and doing through the whole process over time just to get a better price from their real target club. HFC needs to get smarter at the process. One thing I would suggest is to have a really tight up front screening process and stop entertaining blow flies.

Exactly, back in our processes. Place the offer to the player and do NOT * enter a bidding war.

Maybe one increase via negotiation, if the player and manager comes back saying the original club has up there offer a second time, then we refuse to enter the bidding war and wish them well.

Clearly not a team player and not wanting to come to the hawks.

Last edited:

I was most excited about what getting Battle would allow us to do with other players roles and less about what he was going to be able to do himself.
That hasn't really changed, I don't think.
Barrass to FB pushes Frost into a shutdown role, which still pushes the Weddle, Hardwick or Sicily up the field.

Barrass to FB pushes Frost into a shutdown role, which still pushes the Weddle, Hardwick or Sicily up the field.

If Eagles are demanding two first round picks for Barrass I really hope we walk away.

Barrass is a good player yes, he maybe worth two first round picks to the eagles, but he is not worth that to us! Happy to pay a fair price or back in what we have already!

Im still thinking hes coming until i see otherwise. I know some people have said its done but ive been told hes coming to the hawks.

I dont think its over until the saints have announced it.

Look what happened last year. Mckay was coming acroos then not then coming across then not. Alot of things can change

Im still thinking hes coming until i see otherwise. I know some people have said its done but ive been told hes coming to the hawks.

I dont think its over until the saints have announced it.

Look what happened last year. Mckay was coming acroos then not then coming across then not. Alot of things can change

Bit different.

North never wanted to keep McKay. They wanted him out to receive Pick 3, and when they got a guarantee from the AFL they gave him an insulting contract.

Saints are trying hard to keep Battle, including Ross going all out selling him their "bright future."

Barrass is a good player yes, he maybe worth two first round picks to the eagles, but he is not worth that to us! Happy to pay a fair price or back in what we have already!
What we have already has us sitting 9th, so :shrug:

*we need to look at the trade in full. I.e. 2x 1sts wouldn't be a massive issue if we got say a 2024 3rd & 2025 2nd coming back (Or whatever. Haven't done the numbers on what makes it a good trade.).

What we already is young in the likes of McCabe and Serong, we will continue to develop that side of our list.

We maybe 9th, as a result of a bad start to the year, we have developed since the start! Additionally a young team learning to play as one.

Is it strong or is it just very even? If there are no absolute stand outs I would have thought it's a weaker draft
It's not a particularly strong draft. The first four or five are very good although probably not quite up to last year's standard. From six to twenty it's more even than strong.
A few of them are referring to it as a lottery. You could get a 200-gamer at 15 and just a journeyman at eight. Our pick (being 9,10 or whatever) holds no guarantees.
If we keep it I assume we'll target a kew fwd but the majority of them are currently rated 15+ even in this draft.

What we already is young in the likes of McCabe and Serong, we will continue to develop that side of our list.

We maybe 9th, as a result of a bad start to the year, we have developed since the start! Additionally a young team learning to play as one.
Still don't have a genuine KPD that plays deep & kills the high ball.

And we don't have one on our list.

We earned him another half a million bucks a year over 5. Wow.

For real?

What was he on before then?

$300 - $400K?

That's unders for sure, so I'm even more amazed he's staying tbh.

$500K extra per year - so he's on what now? $850 - $900K

Why on earth would a bloke being paid significant unders (I believe you on the figures btw) want to stay at a shite club, with no real prospects of success?

If we have offered the same $850 - $900K for 5 yrs, and he's turned us down, I'm not sure Mr Battle has thought this through very well, if he wants to add football success to his salary.

*we need to look at the trade in full. I.e. 2x 1sts wouldn't be a massive issue if we got say a 2024 3rd & 2025 2nd coming back (Or whatever. Haven't done the numbers on what makes it a good trade.).

I just don't see how West Coast ask for 2 firsts for a 29 year old with back issues, even with 3 years on his contract.

They'll push for our first and second. We'll offer our first and something smaller (like DGB). There will be back and forth until someone caves - either WCE to force Barrass out, or Hawks to accomodate him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly, back in our processes. Place the offer to the player and do enter a bidding war.

Maybe one increase via negotiation, if the player and manager comes back saying the original club has up there offer a second time, then we refuse to enter the bidding war and wish them well.

Clearly not a team player and not wanting to come to the hawks.
Unfortunately, we never get the full picture of what is going down but all indications were that he was committed to the club and if that was the case it should not have come down to second thoughts and counter offers from St Kilda or any other club. This is where I think the club should just walk. As soon as this becomes a factor move on. But have an upfront screening process to ensure that the player is genuine. This would save a lot of time and money. And frustration and disappointment. Anyway, long way of saying I agree with you.

Still don't have a genuine KPD that plays deep & kills the high ball.

And we don't have one on our list.

Blanck only has to break even and allow Sicily to do his thing.

McCabe could be a KPP in a couple of years.

Serong is coming along nice and our version of Battle. At Boxhill Serong is start to bite off Sicily like kicks out of defence and doing them well.

In terms of preference, I reckon I'd go Barrass, Perryman, Battle, Baz.

I initially would have rated Baz higher if he was comfortable playing other roles on the wing, HF, rotating midfield - looks like he wants to be the main guy so I don't think we need him. I was never that keen on Battle, he's not really a full back or CHB - the only appeal is that he might allow us to use Sicily or Weddle further up the ground, nice to have but in terms of similar players I honestly think Scrim, Weddle and Sic have a lot more to offer.

Barrass immediately makes us better, he comes with flag experience, he's one of the best intercept players in the comp and genuine KPP size. He also frees up other players from needing to play roles and unlike Battle I think he's an improvement on some of the players he's pushing out from a defensive POV. Perryman is mature, versatile and capable of rotating across all three lines. We can use him in defense, rotate him on the wing with Amon, give him some centre bounce rotations.

Yep and Blanck will be waiting in the wings to take his opportunity as a fall back option. The cupboard isn't bare even though it will sux not netting a half decent FA for a change in an area we could've done with upgrading but we move on. We'd be hoping McCabe can fill the void for Sicily once he eventually retires. That and we also have Serong showing promise as his body matures even further.

Blanck only has to break even and allow Sicily to do his thing.

McCabe could be a KPP in a couple of years.

Serong is coming along nice and our version of Battle. At Boxhill Serong is start to bite off Sicily like kicks out of defence and doing them well.
If all that stuff is/was true, we'd not be chasing Barrass so hard, right?

We are definitely the go to club for player managers to come and push up their player’s contract.
If Barrass forces the eagles hand and they bump his contract and he stays "I'll spew up".
We are certainly making out of contract players very wealthy and their managers are loving it.
Just like last off season we might not be that much worse off if we miss Battle in the long run.
Handy but not irreplaceable.

İn reality the Eagles will make it seem like they want Barras to stay and honour his contract to make Hawthorn pay up two firsts but we won't budge. Trading irresponsibly is so clarko era. We didn't even penny up for baismith when dogs let it be known last trade period that two firsts will only get them interested.

İn reality the Eagles will make it seem like they want Barras to stay and honour his contract to make Hawthorn pay up two firsts but we won't budge. Trading irresponsibly is so clarko era. We didn't even penny up for baismith when dogs let it be known last trade period that two firsts will only get them interested.
No one will believe that unless they put the revised deal he says was promised to him up against our offer.

They may technically be able to hold him to the deal, but that will provide rotten vibes at their club next year when a new coach will be desperately trying to make the idea of staying at WC more enticing than going back to Victoria. Bit hard to sell fun when you've got your vice-captain moping about because he could be making bank at playing with Hawthorn with ol' mate Wiz.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back