Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no way we should pay up 2 first rounders for Tom Barrass due to his age and his worrying neck/back injury.

There is no way we should pay up 2 first rounders for Tom Barrass due to his age and his worrying neck/back injury.
It won’t be 2 first it’ll be this years first and DGB most likely depending on where we end up finish. Barras has already let the eagles know his intentions to get to us!

He's a coin grabber mate. We got flipping used again.

He's clearly a loyal guy. Grew up adoring Hawthorn and has decided to stick with his mates, that takes pretty big strength of character.

Im gutted but I can respect his decision.

Some pretty immature reactions ITT

Just bear in mind that Connor Nash also listened to other clubs offers and managed to get a payrise from Hawthorn because he wanted to stay and we wanted to keep him.

No different to Battle.

Except it is. What we understand is that Battle was in good faith negotiations with the HFC. As in he was serious about moving to Waverley. There was never any suggestion that Nash was seriously discussing moving to another club. This is what creates the issue. Going into deep discussions and offers being made and then doing a 180. Interestingly, it doesn't happen in many other sports that I am aware of because players and managers do tend to know their market value so once they make a decision to enter discussions it is like any professional commercial arrangement. Sure, some play a game of trying to inflate their contract by speaking to other clubs if they can but what happens within the AFL bubble seems a very amateur game and IMO, unprofessional. It like having to deal with a bunch of kids. I personally couldn't imagine having to deal with some of these people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's clearly a loyal guy. Grew up adoring Hawthorn and has decided to stick with his mates, that takes pretty big strength of character.

Im gutted but I can respect his decision.

Some pretty immature reactions ITT
Also if he's been head hunted by Hawthorn and made a commitment and then sees Mitchell and Hickmont flying to Perth to talk to Barrass you couldn't blame him for doubting that commitment.

Clutching at some real straws right there
So is calling him a coin grabber and accusing him of using us just based on the rumour that he might stay at Stkilda.

He hasn't signed with Stkilda and those making the claims may have egg on their face if he joins Hawthorn.

Every player is entitled to negotiate a contract with current club and evaluate offers from other clubs. It's not using anybody. If an offer is compelling enough the player will take it.

Is Nash a coin grabber because he didn't sign until this week and looked at other offers?

Just my 2c

We came out preseason that we were seeking a Kpd, KPF and Mid. Battle, Barass and baz would meet this.

Early season Lyon has a sook about us being into battle.
Ross and battle chat and agree that we can help each other, battle to get a pay rise and saints to be compensated adequately - win/win.
Feedback to hawks, need to pay more, hawks unwilling (there is a limit).
Sam and barass have a chat, we can help each other. Barass wants a pay rise, hawks want a kpd and competition with battle discussions - we have options. Eagles hold all the cards, Barass is contracted. But do they want a disgruntled player to remain on the list or seek draft picks and a list refresh? Either way it helps Barass to get a pay rise, and hawks another option to grab a kpd and let battle know we have alternative options and don’t need to pay extreme band 1 compensation (unless of course battle is recommitting to saints, then we have just moved to the next target).
Still think we are a possible destination for all 3 until it is announced otherwise, baz included.

So is calling him a coin grabber and accusing him of using us just based on the rumour that he might stay at Stkilda.

He hasn't signed with Stkilda and those making the claims may have egg on their face if he joins Hawthorn.

Every player is entitled to negotiate a contract with current club and evaluate offers from other clubs. It's not using anybody. If an offer is compelling enough the player will take it.

Is Nash a coin grabber because he didn't sign until this week and looked at other offers?
Not at all, players are entitled to receive market value. I’m sure that we would encourage that (but not at the expense of success)

For real?

What was he on before then?

$300 - $400K?

That's unders for sure, so I'm even more amazed he's staying tbh.

$500K extra per year - so he's on what now? $850 - $900K

Why on earth would a bloke being paid significant unders (I believe you on the figures btw) want to stay at a shite club, with no real prospects of success?

If we have offered the same $850 - $900K for 5 yrs, and he's turned us down, I'm not sure Mr Battle has thought this through very well, if he wants to add football success to his salary.

That's an extra 100k per year, 500k in total over the five years.

He's a coin grabber mate. We got flipping used again.
He was going to get paid at either club, he was just happy to stay at his current club. Fair play to him if that is what he wants from his career.

Except it is. What we understand is that Battle was in good faith negotiations with the HFC. As in he was serious about moving to Waverley. There was never any suggestion that Nash was seriously discussing moving to another club.
Except it isn't. Not that I'm disagreeing with the meat of your post but we don't know anything about the negotiations. You saying 'we understand' means only that understanding came from footy journos and gossip-mongers.
Good faith? How do we know? I'm sure I'm not the only guy who's been headhunted by another employer and even though i had no intention of moving i at least listened to their offer.
For all we know there may never have been any concrete suggestion that Battle was actually considering moving.

Except it isn't. Not that I'm disagreeing with the meat of your post but we don't know anything about the negotiations. You saying 'we understand' means only that understanding came from footy journos and gossip-mongers.
Good faith? How do we know? I'm sure I'm not the only guy who's been headhunted by another employer and even though i had no intention of moving i at least listened to their offer.
For all we know there may never have been any concrete suggestion that Battle was actually considering moving.
There has been quite a bit of media about Battle and HFC and it has been ongoing for several months. I appreciate that we don't have the details but it doesn't get talked about, that offers are being made and with how much if they haven't been tabled and offers aren't tabled unless you are having serious discussions and negotiations. I understand that there are some people out there looking for clicks and like to stretch things out but I am happy to accept that given the amount of media and talk (including Battle being asked about it after the game last week) that it was happening. Contrast the Connor Nash situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back