Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Only an idiot would've thought the Cows to be on the up at the end of last season. Their list is average & their 2023 performance was driven by players in the wrong demographic.

We are positioned very differently. And, our list has a glaring hole.

I'm not for over-paying; not by any stretch, but a Full Back (big guy that plays tall to complement the stopper-type of Frost) is a MUST if we're to challenge next year. Barrass is that kind of Full Back & he's seemingly available.

We just have to get it done.
I agree, just hope our recruiting staff have a cut off point were they hang the phone up and walk away.

Well I am glad our list management team think differently. If you can get a vital piece you get them. A late first rounder, given the age profile of our list and the fact we hold Collingwood's second rounder, would be an easy thing to part with. This isn't crazy Vossy or stubborn Clarko stuff. We have missed out on so many bidding wars of late - if we have quality saying 'I want a piece of that' then bring them on board.

It's also about our collective work. Trade + Free Agency + any DFA, + draft. Not about individual one off trades. People lost their minds with some of our individual trades with Tom Mitchell, or 'overpaying' for Weddle etc. When you go back and look at the collective work in those off seasons they were really strong. The list management team is playing the long game, such as letting Ryan go when we wanting him to stay, knowing that extra 2nd was going to be gold in this off season for the exact scenario we are in.

Barrass is practically already done I imagine.

Concussion protocols into hamstring awareness into asking for personal time. Emotionally checked out and preserving his body.

WCE get some currency for a player that won't be around by the time they compete again, Barrass gets a new contract and another tilt at a flag, and we fill our biggest hole. Win-win-win.

The Mac Andrew fascination is strange and only exists on this board and in this thread, there is nowhere else that anyone considers that a genuine possibility.
They will back themselves in to keep him on the right path, lord knows we've all done some stupid stuff when we were 19.

I agree, just hope our recruiting staff have a cut off point were they hang the phone up and walk away.
As good as Barrass still is West Coast isn't dumb. Being that he's about to turn 29 they know full we'll that he's on the decline from here on out all the while having to manage a dodgy back. With a new coach to be appointed in 2024 it is paramount that they get something decent for Barrass this offseason and with them rumoured to be going back on what was supposed to be a promise from the former list manager to renegotiate his contract the chances of him staying would be slim and Hawthorn would know this.

We have never been an unreasonable club to deal with at the trade table so if Barrass signals that he want's to come to us then we'll make it happen and I really get the feeling that the deal won't be as extravagant as what a lot of Hawthorn and West Coast fans think it will be. Whilst not as bad they're pushing him out the door similar to what we did with Jordan Lewis with which if anyone caught it yesterday during the commentary Jordy jokingly said something to the degree of when asked about his exit from us he said 'yeah they we're different circumstances'. I did have a chuckle to myself when he said it 😂

They will back themselves in to keep him on the right path, lord knows we've all done some stupid stuff when we were 19.

Hell, my mates and I were still doing really stupid stuff on the Gold Coast well into our 30s.

Hope we have picked up the phone to make sure Smith still wants to head to the Cats. Watching what the Hawks are doing, and he can be apart of it.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do we need a midfielder who isn't that great a kick? I am more than content for him to ply his trade out in Corio.

Do we need a midfielder who isn't that great a kick? I am more than content for him to ply his trade out in Corio.
I still think a versatile line breaking mid is a need for our list, would still be a great get.

I still think a versatile line breaking mid is a need for our list, would still be a great get.
I agree with this, Mass has definitely given more to this point than what the club thought he could as that link up guy but a mid with genuine pace that breaks the lines is still one they would love to add to the group I am sure

The issue is you're giving up a decent amount of collateral for a guy who reputedly isn't the best at taking direction and wants to play the primary role in a team's midfield. I'll hope for the best if we do go after Smith, but everything I've seen and heard about the kid makes me feel like he's someone who may interfere with the way we want to play.

If he was happy to play a more outside role, cool, just don't believe that to be the case.

I agree with this, Mass has definitely given more to this point than what the club thought he could as that link up guy but a mid with genuine pace that breaks the lines is still one they would love to add to the group I am sure
Smith would flourish under the Hawks game style.

That player’s name is Josh Weddle! A big key defender is our greatest need preferably a younger one than Barrass but if we believe we are in the window right now we should pull the trigger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That player’s name is Josh Weddle! A big key defender is our greatest need preferably a younger one than Barrass but if we believe we are in the window right now we should pull the trigger.
Josh Weddle is not a mid. He will play further up the ground maybe even forward.

I don’t think we need to model our list on other clubs. I like the combination of grunt midfielders plus Day and swarm of small forwards.
It isn't about trying to model out list on any other clubs, i just rate line breaking mids as one of the best assets in the AFL. I also think versatility is ultra important, i think you need a group of mid's that can have a secondary position they excel at. Currently i think that is one area we are still lacking in a little.

Smith is by no means a must get or a make or break but i certainly still think he would be a great get.

Maybe and i won't rule that out but he hasn't played as a midfielder, we have no idea how he would go in the middle. I wouldn't put it past him to dominate in that role either though.

Great player, very skilful and will lead our midfield for years to come i have no doubt. Not sure i see him as that true line breaking burst player.

Agree to disagree. His step, his ability to shrug tackles and get his arms free if caught - he is every bit the damaging midfielder we kept wanting the past few years. What's more is he is only 23 and is only going to get better. Will Day's form this year has turned Bailey Smith from a must acquire to a nice to have.

Josh Weddle is not a mid. He will play further up the ground maybe even forward.

I love the idea of Weddle as a forward who works up and back from inside attacking 50 to a relieving mark at our defensive 50 a thousand times a game.
Similar to how our small high forwards do under our current game plan, his engine, marking, attacking flair and fearlessness would be really unlike anything in the comp.
We're gonna run the AFL ragged.

Barrass needs to make his mind up and STICK to it.

Watching the Swans the other night got
me thinking they will be all over him again as he would make them so much stronger.
His sister has moved to Melbourne. It was the only reason he was looking at Sydney last year, because she was there.

Agree to disagree. His step, his ability to shrug tackles and get his arms free if caught - he is every bit the damaging midfielder we kept wanting the past few years. What's more is he is only 23 and is only going to get better. Will Day's form this year has turned Bailey Smith from a must acquire to a nice to have.
the one difference that makes Bailey attractive is his turn of speed. Day, Newcombe, Nash, Worpel, Mackenzie, Ward etc are all extremely similarly paced, Will Day's ability to shrug and use the ball is made better by his decision making being quick but his foot speed is similar to the other guys.

Doesnt mean that a Bailey Smith would be in the middle as much as we are led to believe he wants to be however he would be a difference the what is in there at the moment.

I dont think it is a be all and end all more just a nice thing to have.

I think you've nailed it and that's coming from someone that really wants us to land Smith. Will as that good that he could very well have changed our order of priorities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back