Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Peatling hasn’t re-signed for the Giants. Has been eye catching over the past month. Catches my eye a lot more than Perrywho
He is definitely an eye catcher and would have many teams after his signature.

Peatling hasn’t re-signed for the Giants. Has been eye catching over the past month. Catches my eye a lot more than Perrywho
Never heard of him.

But this clip is quite extensive and he looks a ripper.
Similar profile to Connor MacDonald - attacking mid with skills, good running, and loves a tackle.
He's a very good mover and has a bit of guile about the way he uses the ball, dummies etc.

Played 7 games as the sub, so his averages are severely under-representing his actual form.

As a starter in the last 4 games he's had:

DISPOSALS: 18, 28, 17, 20
TACKLES: 7, 11, 10, 6

This kid is a hidden gem.

Heard from someone very connected to the Saints this evening that Josh Battle to the Hawks is all but official.

Was it one touch or two in the first quarter?

I’m all for pedantry and nitpicking, but instead of getting hung up on that one segment of a broader point I was making - how about you answer my direct question. Which gettable defenders should we recruit?

Eagles can try to drive a hard bargain with barrass , but at the end of the day they've put him up for trade . They have lost a fair bit of leverage with a decision like that and I'd be surprised if he would want to go back , so a deal has to get done.
I mentioned it the other week that I reckon it’s important to have Battle eventually come out and nominate us as it makes us not as desperate and be easy to bent over at the trade table for Barrass. Yes we want him but we’re also not going to be strong armed into handing over 2 x 1st rounders for 29yo KPD with a car crash list of injuries in his resume.

I just don’t get the Barrass chase if we are getting battle and blank is back next year. We also have young guys coming through. If we get him we shouldn’t be selling the farm at the very least.
We’re ahead of schedule in the rebuild and Mitchell must think we can win a flag next year. 0 other reasons to go this hard on a soon to be 29 year old key defender

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m all for pedantry and nitpicking, but instead of getting hung up on that one segment of a broader point I was making - how about you answer my direct question. Which gettable defenders should we recruit?
Josh Battle for a decent price,
not $900 000. Barrass would be fine if like us trading out Jordan Lewis/Tom Mitchell. To spend a first round pick or more on a 29 year old is far riskier than any trade Clarko ever did.

Last edited:
We’re ahead of schedule in the rebuild and Mitchell must think we can win a flag next year. 0 other reasons to go this hard on a soon to be 29 year old key defender
That is banged up + if you look at his games this year he’s been good, but not what he was a few years ago. If you look at the stats too, he gets plenty of goals kicked on him.

Just announced CJ signed a 3 year extension so very remote……

McKenzie - why?

And to also question (and this is my view)

Ward - why? In and out of the side doesn’t mean much. He bleeds hawthorn.

Reeves - ok get it as Ramma is coming through and Tucker needs more time.

Morrison - looks like he is getting to 100.

Serong - his time will come. He has shown enough

DGB - ship him to WC as part of the Barass deal.

Phillips - I think he gets chopped at the end of the year

O’Sullivan - also think he gets chopped.

Got a sneaking suspicion Chad retires and Stephens gets another year as a rookie.

Bennetts - either gets another year as a rookie or gets upgraded.

There is zero chance Stephens gets another year. He would be the first player to go out of everyone.

That is banged up + if you look at his games this year he’s been good, but not what he was a few years ago. If you look at the stats too, he gets plenty of goals kicked on him.
Was it a surprise to you that a key defender who has played almost every game in the third most scored against team has more goals kicked on him than when he was a key defender in a good team?

Josh Battle for a decent price,
not $900 000. Barrass would be fine if like us trading out Jordan Lewis/Tom Mitchell. To spend a first round pick or more on a 29 year old is far riskier than any trade Clarko ever did.
as long as we have a later pick in return, hopefully it won't matter. We should really be aiming to be as good as Geelong at identifying value picks and developing talent! if we can identify and develop players like Dempsey and Humphries like they do, wouldn't have to worry too much about overpaying in trades.

I just don’t get the Barrass chase if we are getting battle and blank is back next year. We also have young guys coming through. If we get him we shouldn’t be selling the farm at the very least.

In all honesty Blanck hasn't shown enough to suggest he will have a long and successful career at AFL level.
Whilst Barrass has proven himself over many years, in a team that has been uncompetitive for a fair while now.

Blanck will be handy defensive depth next season, and the Barrass/Battle additions will allow McCabe to develop at his own rate.

As for trade value, don't get too caught up in the talk of two first round picks for Barrass. But also, if we reversed the situation, we would be laughing at opposition supporters wanting to get him for a late second round pick.
The deal will get done, but will likely cost our first pick at a minimum. After seeing our rapid development, I've got no problem parting with an early pick to strengthen our structure.

Blanck might not make it, there was a reason we were chasing KPD last year.

I mean at this point the team just lives or dies by what Mitchell says. The overwhelming majority of players he has brought in have improved significantly and if Mitchell says we’re ready to have a crack then fck it why not? enjoy the ride

In all honesty Blanck hasn't shown enough to suggest he will have a long and successful career at AFL level.
Whilst Barrass has proven himself over many years, in a team that has been uncompetitive for a fair while now.

Blanck will be handy defensive depth next season, and the Barrass/Battle additions will allow McCabe to develop at his own rate.

As for trade value, don't get too caught up in the talk of two first round picks for Barrass. But also, if we reversed the situation, we would be laughing at opposition supporters wanting to get him for a late second round pick.
The deal will get done, but will likely cost our first pick at a minimum. After seeing our rapid development, I've got no problem parting with an early pick to strengthen our structure.
A first round pick is enough, in fact if it's within the 8-14 range, it's more than enough. The posturing coming from the west about us giving up two first rounders may not be enough is just lunacy! They must think clarko is still running the ship!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back