Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So when players are scouted, the list manager and coaches don't talk about how they would fit in the current side?

I swear some of you never admit to making mistakes and continually want to look like the smartest person in the room, only to make yourself look more foolish.

You build a LIST. Not necessarily a team.

The reason your original question is pointless (who are you omitting for Battle this week?) Is because the scenario CANNOT happen.

You build a list with a long term view.

From the perspective of the long term view, who saw Meek, D'Ambrosio and Frost as genuine chances of a top 5 B&F finish for us 12 months ago?

Barrass and Battle could and would likely quite easily simply replace Frost and Weddle. One goes to the VFL and the other further up the ground.
That's the long term view.

The scenario is this week, we have Battle and Barass to select, who do you omit?

Serious answer? For me, Gunston and Morrison. Weddle or Battle to CHF. Sicily becomes primary distributor from the back. Amon can spend more time as a genuine wing again.

Maybe it's not that exact formulation. Breust, Chol, Frost, Mackenzie, Watson would all have to fight for their spot, too.

It's always going to be an easy argument that most guys who just played in an 11 goal win will have had good stats and don't deserve to be dropped. If Barrass and Battle started the season at Hawthorn they would both be in the side as best 22 locks.

From the perspective of the long term view, who saw Meek, D'Ambrosio and Frost as genuine chances of a top 5 B&F finish for us 12 months ago?

Can you imagine the merciless shit someone would have copped last year saying Mass would be our best wingman by some margin.

Serious answer? For me, Gunston and Morrison. Weddle or Battle to CHF. Sicily becomes primary distributor from the back. Amon can spend more time as a genuine wing again.

Maybe it's not that exact formulation. Breust, Chol, Frost, Mackenzie, Watson would all have to fight for their spot, too.

It's always going to be an easy argument that most guys who just played in an 11 goal win will have had good stats and don't deserve to be dropped. If Barrass and Battle started the season at Hawthorn they would both be in the side as best 22 locks.

Gunston wouldn't make his way out of the side. He organises the forwards and is our leader in the forward half. No way Sammy would omit Gunston, and Sammy reiterated as much.

Last edited:
Because he’s 30 years old, injury prone, he wants out and he’s a salary dump. Barrass’ value shouldn’t be a 1st rounder- we’re letting West coast and the media dictate the price on the trade… he’s not playing in their next premiership- they don’t wanna keep him…

The top 25 in the draft this year is very even- we could theoretically get the best player in the draft with our late 1st round pick- if we get the pick right it could be the cherry on top for our premiership tilt…

Frost has been outstanding this season- we’ve also got Blanck to come back, Serong in great form, McCabe showing signs and hopefully Battle coming across as a free agent + Phillips on reserve

Whichever way it’s goes I’ll back the club in but we should be pushing for a better deal IMO..
PREACH.

I want Barrass but the way most of Hawks fans have put 1st round pick as the starting point means we will pay more. Many seem perfectly fine to start with F1 and our 2nd pick(pies)

My aim in arguing against this is to move this starting point.

Eagles & their media seems to have a free run at putting 2 first rounders as starting point and they are walking even that back with our push into Top 8.

Hence it is foolish for us to start at first round pick. If we finish Top 4 by end of GF, then I a fine with trading that for Barrass.

The whole thing is outlandish when you see same Eagles fans talk down the value of every one else.

they are trying to persuade Crows to swap 1st round picks for Curtin as fair value.

As fans lets try to value Barrass based on what his peers are being valued currently and not based on how desperately we want him.
I am a supporter of the #NOtoBarrass movement on X. (Kudos to Dom)

Reasoning:
  • Equal third worst one-on-one defender in the league.
  • Back 6/7 already very strong and solid. That’s with Sicily on one shoulder.
  • Battle incoming makes it a solid 7/8
  • Plenty of depth in the sheds. Blanck has shown he’s an AFL player. McCabe and Phillips developing.
  • Harry Edwards situation will happen to our young defenders. They will want out due to the lack of opportunity.
  • Big hole when Barrass finishes. Some youngsters would have sought opportunities elsewhere. Those still on the list would have had limited AFL exposure.
  • Doesn’t leave us with a sustained period of going at it.
  • West Coast clearly want games into Edwards. Just like we wanted games into Newcombe/Day/Worpel. Shipped off O’Meara and Mitchell for peanuts as a result. Why is this not the same for Barrass?
  • Why do all WC fans want him gone?
  • Turning 30 next year.
  • No example ever of a first rounder traded for a thirty year old (or even 29y/o) being remotely successful.
  • The most non-durable player in the league. Surgery to just about every body part on his body. Which makes him a limited player.
  • 4 year deal will be a disaster. Dreaming if you think he plays until 33.
  • Never played more than 19 games in a season.
  • One bad knee to the back away from retirement.
  • Tasmania implications. Good luck finding young guns in the next few years.
  • No trade power with picks gone. Zero hope of landing players that want out in the next few years. E.G Mac Andrew.
  • Tobie Travaglia straight into the team if we pick him. November born. 15 year player. No different to Dear and Watson. Young guns have turned this team around.
  • More high end talent will only make this team better. Gives us a sustained period at the top.
  • Has a young family. Priorities have already changed. Doubt he has the drive anymore. Footy isn’t number one. No different to Stratts. Captain one year, retirement the next.
  • Will he cope in Melbourne? Completely different to Perth. No waves. Freezing.

With all the reasoning listed above, I am #NOtoBarra#NOtoBarrassrage you guys to be so aswell.

All good points though you have stretched some of them. I am Yes to Barrass at a decent price. Just don't want us to be desperate even though I was impressed who how he marked it all when we played the Eagles.

Last edited:
So when players are scouted, the list manager and coaches don't talk about how they would fit in the current side?

I swear some of you never admit to making mistakes and continually want to look like the smartest person in the room, only to make yourself look more foolish.

Coach and List manager couldn't make it tonight so asked me to speak on their behalf.
The fit?
I Like Want GIF

Last edited:
I dont want this to come across as me having a go but just curious how much of the Coates Talent League and the Championships have you watched? Not asking because your take is wrong either, just curious as it seems that this is what is being reported on the draft in the media and I have seen people say it but not convinced people have been deep diving it
It’s been reported on most draft media by AFL journalists that have intel from scouts - it’s a very even draft with not too many huge standouts.
I’ve watched bits and pieces of Coates league, under 18 champs aswell as keeping an eye on highlights and stats- top end talent isn’t as established as other drafts but lots of depth there… players sitting further back because of injuries, one or two lackluster performances etc that could be best players in the crop- very even field this year…

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much Barrass chat and we haven’t even heard from him yet and haven’t heard from the Eagles what they are looking for as compensation if they do trade him.

Trust Mitchell and Co with their judgement is what I will say. Sam played with him and also coached him so would know him fairly well and what we are recruiting.

Gunston wouldn't make his way out of the side. He organises the forwards and is our leader in the forward half. No way Sammy would omit Gunston, and Sammy initiated as much.

Gunston has been in and out of the side all year, has averaged 9 touches a game, is 32 and has said publicly that he anticipates playing a lot of VFL and basically being a coach outside the soft cap if he gets another contract.

Having to rely on him to the extent we have this year is one of the alarm bells going off that we need more key position quality on the list.

Reasoning:
  • Plenty of depth in the sheds. Blanck has shown he’s an AFL player. McCabe and Phillips developing.
  • Harry Edwards situation will happen to our young defenders. They will want out due to the lack of opportunity.
  • Big hole when Barrass finishes. Some youngsters would have sought opportunities elsewhere. Those still on the list would have had limited AFL exposure.
  • West Coast clearly want games into Edwards. Just like we wanted games into Newcombe/Day/Worpel. Shipped off O’Meara and Mitchell for peanuts as a result. Why is this not the same for Barrass?
  • Turning 30 next year.
  • No example ever of a first rounder traded for a thirty year old (or even 29y/o) being remotely successful.
  • The most non-durable player in the league. Surgery to just about every body part on his body. Which makes him a limited player.
  • No trade power with picks gone. Zero hope of landing players that want out in the next few years. E.G Mac Andrew.
  • Tobie Travaglia straight into the team if we pick him. November born. 15 year player. No different to Dear and Watson. Young guns have turned this team around.
  • More high end talent will only make this team better. Gives us a sustained period at the top.
  • Has a young family. Priorities have already changed. Doubt he has the drive anymore. Footy isn’t number one. No different to Stratts. Captain one year, retirement the next.

With all the reasoning listed above, I am #NOtoBarra#NOtoBarrassrage you guys to be so aswell.

Calling it a movement is a stretch 🤣

Reasoning:
  • Turning 30 next year.

Hi Dom. Congrats on the 38 followers.

It’s been reported on most draft media by AFL journalists that have intel from scouts - it’s a very even draft with not too many huge standouts.
I’ve watched bits and pieces of Coates league, under 18 champs aswell as keeping an eye on highlights and stats- top end talent isn’t as established as other drafts but lots of depth there…players sitting further back because of injuries, one or two lackluster performances etc that could be best players in the crop- very even field this year…
yeah no worries at all, merely asking. It is actually a interesting draft. Yes there isnt a elite Harley Reid like prospect, the media is correct in that. There will be a lot of moving around on draft night this year as teams will have brackets of players but will have personal favorites making them move around more as other teams mightnt like the same guys in the same areas.

Due to my line of work I have watched as much Coates League as possible as well as the championships. Once you get past the no commentary and start to pick up the players it becomes much easier but I would say while there isnt the cream, yes it is very even. What you will hear especially with teams like Collingwood not having a first or Richmond wanting to have a heap of picks is the media say its a great draft that is extremely deep

This is only partially true. It is even, however, could also see teams only taking a shallow hand due to the fact there are plenty of kids that need a bit more work so could get to train with clubs in the off season and take pre season as supplemental guys or even MSD options.

Whoever you get at lets say 15 as a round number will probably have people in fanbases talking and hoping they are the best in the draft and they might be. However, I would suggest to people that doesnt necessarily mean that they will be a list changer. The guys that people are talking about as #1 mightnt of gone top 10 last year, the guys that go in the 20s might of normally gone in the 30s of a draft where there is prime talent at the top, but, because its so even if it breaks right they could of been a pick in the teens in a normal year so it will be a really interesting draft to watch and there is still so long to go too.

So what I mean by all this the argument people are using which is "we shouldn't trade the pick we could get a top 10 talent in this draft at 15" to me is more the kid we get at 15 might be or he might equate to pick 30 in another draft. I really do understand people being hesitant to trade a first rounder in any year, I personally think this is the draft to do it.

Also all of this is not to say I dont like the guys in the draft, there are some crackers in it

I want Barrass but the way most of Hawks fans have put 1st round pick as the starting point means we will pay more. Many seem perfectly fine to start with F1 and our 2nd pick(pies)

My aim in arguing against this is to move this starting point.
At the end of the day though it doesnt actually matter what Hawks fans say or what you want to change the starting point to. What is said in here has nothing to do with the actual negotiations its just arguing for the sake of it

Reasoning:
  • Turning 30 next year.
No move should require this much justification. Only ends one way. With all the reasoning listed above,

I am # NOtoBarrass and encourage all of you to be so aswell.
Not a movement

It’s a dork following another dork who is so narcissistic he accuses people of being burner accounts of someone called Donovan

Fancy carrying on about a Tom Barrass trade but being wedded to the idea of DGB showing enough to be on the list next year

Baffling

I am # NOtoBarrass and encourage all of you to be so aswell.
Probably right next to calling for Peter Burge to have his position reviewed a few weeks into the season as the stupidest things i've seen on this forum this year.

Well done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back