Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

They don't have the capital. Their future first would be worth jack shit (if they get Petracca)

Could be an opportunity to get a player from them if they want to generate draft capital.

Problem is I don’t think they’d let us have anyone of value, and their depth players aren’t great.

Make some massive offers for genuine game changers at the end of 2025, plenty of good ones out of contract next year. I’m not going to lose any sleep if we sign Battle, just hope it triggers band2 compo.
If we have traded our first rounder for barass I couldn’t care less if battle gives band 1 or band 2 it makes no difference to our draft

Today was an eye opener to the benefit of adding a couple of quality key position defenders to our team.. Sicily gets out marked a lot.. Almost weekly.. his intercept play is best in league calibre but his defence has been poor this year.. It’s tough for Frost given his year to step aside but Frost, Battle, Barrass, Scrim and Sic doesn’t work.. If I were Frost and North or someone offered me three years I’d take a look.. Interesting off season ahead for sure..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Which List wins longer! Which List wins a flag. As much as I Love Frost, and I am convert this year, we need depth.

That said, we need it forward of the ball as well. That is another conversation, but when a 33year old is kicking 5goals it is not the mix that consistently wins finals. The footy dept knows this.

We have reached being good enough to make finals but to go to the next level, good enough to win the premiership, we have to go to another level

Anyone heard anything about HH? I know he's more of an inside type but morrison, cj, ward, mckenzie, finn all getting games before him should be frustrating.

Barrass plays out of the Goal Square - he doesn't generally lockdown a specific opponent. He intercept marks deep or he spoils - he doesn't effectively chase his opponent around on the lead or defensively run 50m to fill space.

Adding Barrass complements Frost (like Lake + Frawley were complementary) - you'd not replace one with the other.

We can try to turn Battle into a lockdown defender - replacing Frost - but it's not his natural game.

I agree - anyone Frost's age would have to look at job security (3yrs) when his current deal expires in 1x year (end 2025), but his body of work as a lockdown KPD is heaps better than Battle's.
I haven't seen much of Barass, but how you describe him sounds more like Gibbo. Is that right?

I haven't seen much of Barass, but how you describe him sounds more like Gibbo. Is that right?
Nah, more like Brian Lake.
Gibbo could play CHB on a mobile Fwd, Back Pocket (3rd Tall), he could rebound & had very good disposal.

Barrass is your Goal Square Full Back. Lives within 30m of goal - controls his zone & controls the air - not a particular opponent. Is most effective in a Team Defence, where he hands off the leading opponent to another Defender (e.g. Frost) & remains deep.

Anyone heard anything about HH? I know he's more of an inside type but morrison, cj, ward, mckenzie, finn all getting games before him should be frustrating.
Heard anything?

He’s depth, and those players are ahead of him.

Nah, more like Brian Lake.
Gibbo could play CHB on a mobile Fwd, Back Pocket (3rd Tall), he could rebound & had very good disposal.

Barrass is your Goal Square Full Back. Lives within 30m of goal - controls his zone & controls the air - not a particular opponent. Is most effective in a Team Defence, where he hands off the leading opponent to another Defender (e.g. Frost) & remains deep.
I reckon he’s more like Rance than Lake. Lake was elite one-on-one and would take the big forwards to the cleaners.

Barrass gives a lot more space to his opponent and controls an area much like Rance did just not to the level of Rance.

Morris repeating what’s going around the traps in the last 48 hours, that Petracca has played his last game at Melbourne if he has a choice in it. Wants out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not worth the astronomical price the Dees would command.

They were desperate for the Wiz in last year's draft so they'd be asking for Watson in any deal.
Some idiot club(s) will be desperate & will need 1st Rounders to pay for him.

There may be value in facilitating that trade as a 3rd party.

A club like Essendon they'd be desperate to appease their fans and throw the kitchen sink at him.

No player would be off limits, not that any have any real value on the list.
Essendon + Carlton
Both fan bases seething after being in the top four during the season.

Could prompt both clubs to push hard for Perracca.

Would honestly be hilarious if Collingwood got Petracca because of what they'd need to sacrifice.

Without a first rounder for this season they'd need to be offloading a serious player plus a future first at an absolute minimum.

The Dee's were heavily into Maynard a few years ago. Imagine the uproar if they tried to force out a crowd favourite.

You'd think Maynard, Finley Macrae, a future first and a future second would be a minimum before Melbourne would even bother listening to any offer.

Would honestly be hilarious if Collingwood got Petracca because of what they'd need to sacrifice.

Without a first rounder for this season they'd need to be offloading a serious player plus a future first at an absolute minimum.

The Dee's were heavily into Maynard a few years ago. Imagine the uproar if they tried to force out a crowd favourite.

You'd think Maynard, Finley Macrae, a future first and a future second would be a minimum before Melbourne would even bother listening to any offer.
I'm sure the Melbourne players would love to have Maynard there...

They have a father son that will be top 2 next year so there future 1 round pick is not needed

I'm sure the Melbourne players would love to have Maynard there...

Absolutely not. I just remember him being linked there a few years before that incident. It would take a player of his experience and standing to get the trade ball rolling anyway you'd think.

They'd blow their list apart trying to fit one bloke in.

That’s no where near enough. Finley Macrae would be delisted if he didn’t have a contract.

Barrass averaged over 7 spoils per game, the most of all defenders listed, as per the stats you provided in your subsequent post.

Would appear to contradict the assertion he either marks or is out marked?
Was on Footy Classified as top 5 for losing 1-on-1 contests this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back