Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair though all clubs to a degree cover up a fair bit of cr@p and we only have to look at the Buddy rumours over the years as an example.
A lot of clubs can try to cover up crap, not many can actively make it go away like Geelong can.

I would rather offer 1.5 mil a year to Andrew than Darcy. Andrew is an athletic freak, can play at either end with ease and is far superior to Darcy at ground level. He would be the most magical final piece in our rebuild!!
I thought I’ve read rumours on here somewhere on Andrews own family concerned about the company he keeps up in the GC- if any of that is true I’d be very wary of stumping up utterly insane figures on a player that has the potential but without the runs on the board.. 1.5m is reserved for those that have earnt it IMO

Have a look at how quickly Stengle’s little nap disappeared from the media.

Sleepy hollow are very good at keeping things under wraps.
All the footy gossip writers (refuse to call them journalists) are based in Melbourne and can't be arsed trying to dig up dirt down the highway so stick to getting their goss from their private school contacts and nuffies in cafe's that are all over melbourne.

Can you imagine if Stengle was at Collingwood or Richmond the amount of digging they'd do. Heck there were media reports about Clayton Oliver apparently lifting up the windscreen wipers on a car he walked past. And lets not forget the time Andrew Walker wore a hat in pre-season training.

All the footy gossip writers (refuse to call them journalists) are based in Melbourne and can't be arsed trying to dig up dirt down the highway so stick to getting their goss from their private school contacts and nuffies in cafe's that are all over melbourne.

Can you imagine if Stengle was at Collingwood or Richmond the amount of digging they'd do. Heck there were media reports about Clayton Oliver apparently lifting up the windscreen wipers on a car he walked past. And lets not forget the time Andrew Walker wore a hat in pre-season training.
Stengle was at Richmond…

Saints supposedly quite confident on re-signing Battle, but also heard now that we’ve definitely enquired.
It's funny going back through this thread and reading old posts. You had mail on us luring Battle as early as round 2 vs Melbourne which was the game we came out and played all negative with no run and tried to play keepings off. The ground work was most definitely laid early on this one. Give yourself a green tick mate ✅

Last edited:

Mitch Cleary would never report on his cats

I understand good teams have good depth, and it would be ideal if Serong was happy to play for Box Hill in the hope we had an injury crisis.

I was initially replying to comments that he was likely going to be at St Kilda next year and that they were interested in him, not just making things up to get rid of depth players.

Purely suggested realistic hypothetical trades with St Kilda based on the link, but it’s clear now that doing so in a hypothetical trade thread is infuriating to some.

We need spots on the list, we’re going to have to move some players on. A 9 game 21yo intercept defender who will be 7th-9th on the depth chart seems acceptable to me.
The club and many of us all have been very surprised and very excited in Serongs progress this year especially after missing a lot of footy dew to his health issues, at 21yo not only holding down one of the hardest positions on the ground as a KPD and smashing the door down for a call up in the seniors this year, the club is very excited about his future next year and beyond IMO.

I see Barrass as a Frost replacement. So that's fine, much improved as Frosty is getting on in age.

Frost has 1 year left on contract, and is a solid defender but still has flaws in his game. Blanck is coming off ACL and still largely an unknown. Sicily will have shoulder reconstruction in offseason and will carry a risk for the rest of his career.

By the time our 4-5 deal with Barrass expires. We would have almost certainly have lost Sicily, Impey, Bruest, Gunston and maybe Hardwick.

For those reasons i alone I can't see the club letting go of a 21yo Jai Serong that has shown his veversatile has shown good kicking skills under pressure, plenty of dash, tough, strong marking and still only 21yo with the ability to play forward and could quite possibly be a Jack Gunston replacement at 2026.

Last edited:
I don't mean any offence to the guy but I think when you offer someone a big deal (let's say 5/6 years for a mill a year) you really want the guy to be consistent mentally. That's not something that you can rely on with Bailey.

What absolute horeshit. The hardest working person I know is a mate of mine who is also plagued by mental health issues. It’s never caused him to have a day off. This ‘has mental health issues therefore is unreliable’ mantra is absurdly insulting to those with depression/anxiety.

Max is one of us

Has he been living under a rock his whole life? Sounds like Max is part of the problem if he’s gonna try gaslight everyone into thinking there’s not issues as has been reported.

Same with Pert and Goodwin “we’ve got the best culture in the AFL”.

Petracca isn’t trying to leave, and Melbourne aren’t conducting a review if this is all just “gossip”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What absolute horeshit. The hardest working person I know is a mate of mine who is also plagued by mental health issues. It’s never caused him to have a day off. This ‘has mental health issues therefore is unreliable’ mantra is absurdly insulting to those with depression/anxiety.
The username of the person you are responding to is somewhat ironic

Great call, we need to start thinking of mental health very differently. Somedays you have torn a hammy, others it is strained and others still it is just awareness, you work on it and get it stronger thats it. Not saying it isn't challenging but it really is just another part of the body.

Separately having met him a couple of times and had my daughter spend time with him through his now ex partner, I cannot speak highly enough of his character and how invested he is in people and making sure they are feeling good and comfortable in his company.

I watched him spend over an hour kneeling in the mud in terrible taking photos with East Malvern players a couple of years ago the kids were beside themselves, but nearly as much as the parents who were in awe of the performance. I thought it was a one off but then my daughter came home and was telling how he was with his partners family and friends despite randoms walking up to him all the time. I've always believed talent sets the floor and character sets the ceiling, this guy has both in spades and we would be mad not to have a crack.

Gotta love the media. You can just sense the angst building all over again.
"The AFL needs to act now. We simply can't have people who aren't employees of clubs talking to people who also aren't employees of a club"

Caro can enjoy eating her dinner with the Tiges brand new wooden spoon!!

pictures love GIF

What have I missed re Mrs Mitchell?
She was helping Sam with recruiting pitching the family club angle. Depending on who you speak to it was somewhere between having dinner with the Battle's to forcing Josh's wife to sign the contract in blood

Has he been living under a rock his whole life? Sounds like Max is part of the problem if he’s gonna try gaslight everyone into thinking there’s not issues as has been reported.

Same with Pert and Goodwin “we’ve got the best culture in the AFL”.

Petracca isn’t trying to leave, and Melbourne aren’t conducting a review if this is all just “gossip”.
So true, Gawn is a master deflector. Where there is smoke there is fire, and in the case of the Demons, it is an inferno. That club is a joke.

pretty easy to float out a few rumours to scare the other buyers away and drive the price down too
I’ve heard from two Cats supporters privately that they know they’re the only ones into Bailey and why.

They got Stengle on the right path, they failed with Jack Steven. Smith is worth a shot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back