Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Team is in …

2 Changes

IMG_0952.jpeg
MILESTONE: Nic Newman 100 Carlton Games

IMG_0953.jpeg

OUT: Cottrell (inj), Cerra (inj), Owies (soreness), Pittonet (omit), Boyd (soreness/brought back a week too early)
IN: Wilson, Williams, Fantasia, Mirkov, Cowan

Sub: Fantasia

Rotate Walsh and Kennedy out of the centre bounces if it's clear we need an injection of speed there. Use Motlop, use Wilson, Acres, Cowan, Martin, Fogarty, either Hollands brother, Cincotta... anyone who's trained at least one stoppage look just inject them in 2-3 times a game.

Do something remotely dynamic and leave Cincotta, Hewett, or Walsh at any given stoppage to close down an channel (sweep) or obvious outlet if we're not going to get a clear win there. The better speed and strength combo we can deploy against the opposition, the more we can play tight and then push off to gather/assist.

I can imagine I'm going to be descended on about the Mirkov pick like seagulls on a chip, but his VFL form has gone up a notch and Pittonet's form has gone through the floor. He can get a crack at it for 2 weeks, as can Wilson.

Owies to stay in if Williams isn't ready to go, but he's struggling to run out games and quarters at the moment.

someone call the club and tell Crippa to round up the boys and head over to Charlies place, light a bonfire, roast marshmallows and sing kumbaya. grab all the coaching staff while they're at it...tactically an absolutely disaster.

we keep on playing a weird brand of footy..

OUT: Cottrell (inj), Cerra (inj), Owies (soreness), Pittonet (omit), Boyd (soreness/brought back a week too early)
IN: Wilson, Williams, Fantasia, Mirkov, Cowan

Sub: Fantasia

Rotate Walsh and Kennedy out of the centre bounces if it's clear we need an injection of speed there. Use Motlop, use Wilson, Acres, Cowan, Martin, Fogarty, either Hollands brother, Cincotta... anyone who's trained at least one stoppage look just inject them in 2-3 times a game.

Do something remotely dynamic and leave Cincotta, Hewett, or Walsh at any given stoppage to close down an channel (sweep) or obvious outlet if we're not going to get a clear win there. The better speed and strength combo we can deploy against the opposition, the more we can play tight and then push off to gather/assist.

I can imagine I'm going to be descended on about the Mirkov pick like seagulls on a chip, but his VFL form has gone up a notch and Pittonet's form has gone through the floor. He can get a crack at it for 2 weeks, as can Wilson.

Owies to stay in if Williams isn't ready to go, but he's struggling to run out games and quarters at the moment.

I'll back you in a bit here. Some of these moves may fail, and a lot of us think that the tried and tested players will find their form eventually because they are experienced and have shown us plenty before.

I'm an advocate for injecting new blood, although our system requires knowledge and repetition, so if it looks at all different in the ressies, a new player might get lost out there. I'd still embrace the injection of enthusiasm and take a risk.

Pitto has struggled massively since his return. I like the idea of a ruck of Mirkov's size if he can just nullify the opposition ruck and cause panic when he goes forward. At the very least our guys can rove off him. We won't do it of course, and even if we did, we wouldn't trust him so would play both him and Pitto. Always wasting spots in our 23 to cover for the deficiencies within the team.

Williams won't be ready IMO and shouldn't be played. He went from 3-4 weeks to 1-2 weeks within a week, so we are already allowing for a faster recovery time. To go from 1-2 to test in a week, seems to be pushing the boundaries, particularly with a player with his history.

I'd play Lord and would love to play Wilson for something different. He can take Boyd's spot.

The Fantasia call is amusing in a way. He's a low volume role player, but we have several of those in our bad run of form at the moment. We are 9-4 with him, but 3-5 without him. That could be coincidence of course, but have we overlooked something he provided?

someone call the club and tell Crippa to round up the boys and head over to Charlies place, light a bonfire, roast marshmallows and sing kumbaya. grab all the coaching staff while they're at it...tactically an absolutely disaster.

we keep on playing a weird brand of footy..

Better yet, get Leading Teams in to grill the coaches in front of the playing group.

I’ll be happy with that as long as we beat west coast as well. 2 wins were in the finals. Week off troops back and we go again
Mrw GIF

Sides have been playing extras at stoppage and extras behind the ball yet still outnumber us in transition - I can't work this out ..
this week let's play a game of don't kick it to Charlie for 15 minutes every quarter .
In and outs will take care of themselves but if we turn it over high in our fwd line pencil a goal for the hawks ..

I actually think the opposite. If we are willing to play a teenager who has been at the club for less than 3 months - and would have very little knowledge of our game plan and connection with his teammates - in such a high stakes game over blokes who have been around for years, I think it’s an indication that the coaches are desperate. IMO it should be Cowan and Carroll for Cerra and Cottrell. MK and Hewett into the midfield, Walsh the line breaking receiver and Cincotta plays the defensive forward role.

IMO the way to beat the Hawks is to play our way, that is all the big bodies in the middle to batter them, plus one at the contest to claim and lock in field position and our small forwards tackle their backline runners into the ground. Voss has strayed from that formula the last month wanting to experiment with plus one behind the ball, to our detriment. Hopefully now with everything on the line he’ll go back to what we do best. If he doesn’t then he deserves to cop all the heat that will come his way.

Yeah good points.

Time to see if the following can cut it at the top level......Binns, Wilson, Lord.
Phil Collins has been waiting for this moment.

Did a quick ladder predictor and essentially this is an elim final for us. Hopefully we rise to the action, but based on previous form...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did a quick ladder predictor and essentially this is an elim final for us. Hopefully we rise to the action, but based on previous form...
Indeed it is. STK could be as well with % counting for positions.
HFC with an average winning margin of 46.5pts vs North & RFC in their previous encounters this season.
Many permutations.

2022 vibes…can we absorb the pressure this time to bank the win/s required..
Looks like we’ll be playing Sunday in the last round.

Yeah I was worried about a 2022 repeat after the Bulldogs loss...

Would be so old Carlton of them to lose to the Saints by 1 point and miss the 8. Then again... if we're at that point, making the 8 we'd just be making the numbers anyway.

Someone tell me why we can’t play Harry Lemmey as well as Curnow and McKay. Forces more looks inside 50 and gets the ball to ground more for our smalls. If not Lemmey then play mirkov as well as pitto he is astute inside 50 too.

To compare with Brisbane who play lance morris next to hipwood and Daniher. Morris is 19 years old.

Last edited:
Pitto has struggled massively since his return. I like the idea of a ruck of Mirkov's size if he can just nullify the opposition ruck and cause panic when he goes forward. At the very least our guys can rove off him. We won't do it of course, and even if we did, we wouldn't trust him so would play both him and Pitto. Always wasting spots in our 23 to cover for the deficiencies within the team.

Cottrell injured for 2 months... straight back in...
Owies in good form... sub vest to make way...

Cerra out for 2 months... straight back in...
Hewett in good form... sub, then omitted to make way...

See the negative message this sends?

Pitto knows he's out the moment TDK passes a fitness test...
Pitto also knows he's not getting dropped for Mirkov...
So where's his motivation to keep his spot going to come from?

Cottrell injured for 2 months... straight back in...
Owies in good form... sub vest to make way...

Cerra out for 2 months... straight back in...
Hewett in good form... sub, then omitted to make way...

See the negative message this sends?

Pitto knows he's out the moment TDK passes a fitness test...
Pitto also knows he's not getting dropped for Mirkov...
So where's his motivation to keep his spot going to come from?

Pitto also has a 4 year contract to see himself through to retirement. You'd hope his motivation came from the desire to have team success, but as a player who has been a backup ruck for most of his career, he might be content with just being a jovial team man.

4 of the last 5 we have lost have been by minimal margins and we had our chances in each of those games but did not convert. Idiots carrying on like we are getting belted week in week out. Injuries and short turn arounds don't help our chances particurlary late in the season. We will get a second wind, and we will get going again. You will all eat your words. Majority of people on here are adamant hawks will pump us by 10 goals and are wanting us to fail miserably and fall out of the eight isn't constructive one bit. More emotion based if anything

You'd do well to stop calling other posters 'idiots' please. We don't do that here.

I will note that injuries and short turnarounds apply to all teams. We are where we are based on what we are doing, not what we don't have access to. That was a pretty strong team out there for us last night.

Yes, we have lost close games, but some of those we were gone before we launched a late comeback. We rely on our fitness to outlast opponents, because we are struggling to keep up with them when they have run in their legs.

Can the second wind happen? Yes, it's an open season and all teams have shown frailties at times. We would need to establish our mental edge and become the hunters again though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back