Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

How does another club announce Bello when we haven’t said anything about him moving on?
Maybe he hasn't said anything and is hoping we won't notice he's not there.

1000001116.jpg

Hodgy's response to mostyn about his request that everyone not joke about something others might find offence is the best take on it, i note mostyn didn't acknowledge his post because there is no good response 😃

This was in regards to Jenny trying to censor people but it relates the same to the afl censoring its players. It wasn't a work place, it was a private party if they want to joke about something that others might regard in poor taste that is their right. Just as it is the right of those who regard it in poor taste to judge it as so. If the gws wasn't an afl arm I doubt a strong club would have put up with that suspension and fines and I suspect the players only accepted the fines because they were reduced to a token 5k

People didn't bother to respond to it because it's a pointless argument. Clearly, context matters when it comes to humour. A terminally ill person joking about their own condition is a very different situation than some footballer earning six figures a year carrying out a skit about sexual assault.

Obviously, everyone is going to have their own opinion about where the line gets drawn, which is why these arguments are pointless. Some people will be offended by almost anything, other people will think that everything should be permitted. What I think is over the mark is clearly very different than what Hodgy thinks, and there isn't really a meaningful debate we can have about that. But collectively, as a society, we decide on which topics are out of bound and which one aren't - this happens naturally, because if the majority of people think something isn't cool anymore, they will react accordingly if they witness it, and businesses and brands don't want to be associated with that. Where the line is shifts over time, and it's a poor comedian who wants to complain that they've been left behind rather than moving with the times.

My usual rule of thumb when it comes to comedy is, am I punching down? If so, then it's probably not very funny. Serves me well most of the time.

Jenny wasn't trying to "censor" anybody. She has no capacity to prevent anyone from posting anything. She was simply appealing for them to consider how their posts might affect other people. They can choose to do so, or ignore her, as they see fit.

AFL players sign contracts, which include provisions on the conduct expected of them. As public figures, they are representatives of the AFL even when not on a football field. If the players don't like it, they're free not to be AFL players - or, if they think the contracts are unfair in some way, they have a player's association that can fight it.

Clubs have integrity officers and the like on staff. It wouldn't have been difficult for the leadership group to say "hey, we're thinking of doing something a bit racy, here's the details, what do you guys think?" They would have quickly been told that, hmm, probably want to avoid that one.

We probably want a ruckman. I have no info and just guessing, but if we are clearing space on the list id say is we fancy a ruckman late in the draft and dont think they will make it to the rookie draft. Maybe delist Stachan and put him back on the rookie list or even someone like Schoenberg.

Dude - even after we delist two senior listed players with the intention or putting them on the rookie list, we do not have the list space to draft anyone else aside from taking #4, Welsh and upgrading a rookie to the senior list.

Dude - even after we delist two senior listed players with the intention or putting them on the rookie list, we do not have the list space to draft anyone else aside from taking #4, Welsh and upgrading a rookie to the senior list.

all i am going on was that we are beginning to talk getting ruckman into the club as of next year. we failed to lure anyone in the trade period but that doesnt change the fact we need another ruckman and i can only assume any future delisted player would be to make room. If it doesnt happen it doesnt happen.

People didn't bother to respond to it because it's a pointless argument. Clearly, context matters when it comes to humour. A terminally ill person joking about their own condition is a very different situation than some footballer earning six figures a year carrying out a skit about sexual assault.

Obviously, everyone is going to have their own opinion about where the line gets drawn, which is why these arguments are pointless. Some people will be offended by almost anything, other people will think that everything should be permitted. What I think is over the mark is clearly very different than what Hodgy thinks, and there isn't really a meaningful debate we can have about that. But collectively, as a society, we decide on which topics are out of bound and which one aren't - this happens naturally, because if the majority of people think something isn't cool anymore, they will react accordingly if they witness it, and businesses and brands don't want to be associated with that. Where the line is shifts over time, and it's a poor comedian who wants to complain that they've been left behind rather than moving with the times.

My usual rule of thumb when it comes to comedy is, am I punching down? If so, then it's probably not very funny. Serves me well most of the time.

Jenny wasn't trying to "censor" anybody. She has no capacity to prevent anyone from posting anything. She was simply appealing for them to consider how their posts might affect other people. They can choose to do so, or ignore her, as they see fit.

AFL players sign contracts, which include provisions on the conduct expected of them. As public figures, they are representatives of the AFL even when not on a football field. If the players don't like it, they're free not to be AFL players - or, if they think the contracts are unfair in some way, they have a player's association that can fight it.

Clubs have integrity officers and the like on staff. It wouldn't have been difficult for the leadership group to say "hey, we're thinking of doing something a bit racy, here's the details, what do you guys think?" They would have quickly been told that, hmm, probably want to avoid that one.

Since the AFL didnt suspend De Goey for literally sexually assaulting someone then they have no leg to stand on. GWS just seemed like easy pray because they were non victorian.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back