Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 36 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 163 81.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

And yet, a month later, it's not even been established he wants to leave the Suns. Whereas ANB formally requested a trade in-season. Lukosius not nominating a club, when he hasn't even declared a desire to leave, isn't indicative of anything.

I'd say that us and Demons are largely on the same page with regards to trade value. Whereas there's a fair chance that Suns and us are miles apart. You don't want to say you're leaving and then a deal not get done, you wait until it's a foregone conclusion.

Last edited:
I hear you, but what if Sholl has another year on the wing like he did this year, how much of an upgrade is Luko structurally to us?
The main query I have with bringing in Luko is that we basically have a similar prospect in Curtin

I know you can never have enough great kicks, but you can also be a bit too tall and slow. One of Luko/Curtin would basically have to play 3rd tall

The main query I have with bringing in Luko is that we basically have a similar prospect in Curtin

I know you can never have enough great kicks, but you can also be a bit too tall and slow. One of Luko/Curtin would basically have to play 3rd tall
I reckon Luko is Wing Attack to use a netball term question is would he be happy with that

Anecdotal and different league, but back in the late 90's when Fabulous Phil Carmen took over Sturt, he played 2 long kicking tall rangy wingers (Nathan Irvin & Bruce Lennon) and it took Sturt to the 98 grand final after years down the bottom. But those 2 guys played a huge part in that as they meant Sturt carried a goal threat from the flanks outside 50 as well as up forward. I could absolutely see the same kind of setup if we had Curtin on one wing and Luko on the other as the precision kicking inside 50 could be something to behold and the long goal kicking also an additional threat.

The problem comes if they have to set up against very pace wingers and the oppo tries to exploit us that way

Anecdotal and different league, but back in the late 90's when Fabulous Phil Carmen took over Sturt, he played 2 long kicking tall rangy wingers (Nathan Irvin & Bruce Lennon) and it took Sturt to the 98 grand final after years down the bottom. But those 2 guys played a huge part in that as they meant Sturt carried a goal threat from the flanks outside 50 as well as up forward. I could absolutely see the same kind of setup if we had Curtin on one wing and Luko on the other as the precision kicking inside 50 could be something to behold and the long goal kicking also an additional threat.

The problem comes if they have to set up against very pace wingers and the oppo tries to exploit us that way
Agree it could work, but I think we're still missing quite a bit of pace (and run/carry) around the ground. That's why I'm big on getting Cumming

Until we address that I think we'll be easy to exploit, Luko or no Luko

I'd say that us and Demons are largely on the same page with regards to trade value. Whereas there's a fair chance that Suns and us are miles apart. You don't want to say your leaving and then a deal not get done, you wait until it's a foregone conclusion.
Agreed. IF Crows do miss Cummin (and Perryman we are seemingly no chance) then I can see the club feeling the pressure and perhaps giving up a F1 for Luko - perhaps with GC 2nd coming back. Now thats probably overpaying but the club does need to sell hope and Luko will be a good addition - just not Dawson/Rankine elite but will be a 7-12th best player on our list I imagine over time - with perhaps some potential for risk to the upside with this ranking IMO

Funnily enough, i think Rosas offers more for our list than Lukosius in that Rosas structurally frees up Rankine and Rachele to be virtually full time mids that only need to pinch hit forward
Dont know enough about him, can he actually football? Pointless getting him if he's just a list clogger

Hamill had a good season?

He played 7 games. Was okay defensively, but completely useless offensively.

He never played more than 3 games in a row.

In what world is that a good season?!?!?
He like, actually played for the senior team and didn't completely suck?
It's a low bar, but he's exceeded expectations for sure.

Agreed. IF Crows do miss Cummin (and Perryman we are seemingly no chance) then I can see the club feeling the pressure and perhaps giving up a F1 for Luko - perhaps with GC 2nd coming back. Now thats probably overpaying but the club does need to sell hope and Luko will be a good addition - just not Dawson/Rankine elite but will be a 7-12th best player on our list I imagine over time - with perhaps some potential for risk to the upside with this ranking IMO
No! No overpaying!
We need elite mids!

I'm all for getting Luko. Get him. All good, he improves us. But he's not in a position where we should overpay, that we are desperate for.

Its incredible and quite fascinating how their can be such 180 degree different posts to other posters. At least yourself and S85 saying we are a good chance for Luko and then other posters GC/T13 saying we have missed out on him.

Thats why posters going off the deep end may just want to wait before throwing so much shit at the club as otherwise you end up looking stupid based on one persons perceptions/info. IF Crows only end up getting ANB then fair enough, go hard and its clearly not good enough and someone needs to be held accountable
It’s absolutely ****ing hilarious watching people twist themselves inside out as every twist and turn on the roller coaster comes into play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with those who've said we lack pace. For me it's the obvious flaw with our current build and three-tall system. Hawthorn absolutely exploited it. It's why pace is one of the most important traits we should be drafting/recruiting for.
The Hawks are still playing with 3 talls (Chol, Dear and Gunston). If Mitch Lewis was fit then he would be playing ahead of Dear.

Agree with those who've said we lack pace. For me it's the obvious flaw with our current build and three-tall system. Hawthorn absolutely exploited it. It's why pace is one of the most important traits we should be drafting/recruiting for.
We attended to some of that last draft with Edwards who is quick with excellent acceleration and Oscar Ryan is pretty nippy too.

He like, actually played for the senior team and didn't completely suck?
It's a low bar, but he's exceeded expectations for sure.

He played more AFL games in 2020, 2021, 2022 than he did in 2024.

He sucked no more or no less than he did in those years.

He has remained completely stagnant and should be delisted.

I feel similar, not that crazy on Lukosius. Throw Welsh in as another forward.

Spending $2 million over the next 2 years on Lukosius and giving up draft capital doesn't excite me.

The issue is, he was a pick 2, has name recognition, is South Australian and is gettable. This is a recipe for our guys to land a trade period 'win'.

Really not getting excited about any of these trade rumours. We need quality midfielders. Our focus should be squarely on that and nothing else.

Don't waste cap space or draft capital on other players just because they're available.
Unfortunately quality midfielders aren't coming to SA unless they have ties.

We've been shown to throw good money at them (if rumours are correct) but for some it just isn't enough.

The only players SA clubs can attract are fringe players or players with SA ties.

We attended to some of that last draft with Edwards who is quick with excellent acceleration and Oscar Ryan is pretty nippy too.

Yep, absolutely. But as well as those two are tracking, ultimately we can't really bank on them making major contributions in the next couple of years.

The Hawks are still playing with 3 talls (Chol, Dear and Gunston). If Mitch Lewis was fit then he would be playing ahead of Dear.

I'm not saying that we've made an error committing to a three-tall system. I'm saying that a lack of a pace – particularly in the midfield and in our attacking 50 – is an obstacle to success.

His manager told him not to because ultimately he would make more money in Melbourne (even on a significantly lesser deal) which exposes the whole problem with a salary cap in a league where one state dominates the off field opportunities.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It wasn't even Melbourne it was Richmond specifically because North offered the same the Crows did.

Would be nice to get some that can have an impact next year, though (unless Edwards and Ryan progress quicker than expected)

Rosas wouldn’t provide the run/carry but he’d help us become more athletic in the forward half, for instance

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back