Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 7, last 24th June)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 100 90.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I voted no on the Big Fish because (big fish to me is an elite mid or genuine afl star for their position in the prime of their career or an exciting high potential young player yet to hit their peak years.

A big fish is not a 29-30yo + player or a fringe player or a role player. Genuine Star.

The only big fish imo is LDU, that is knowingly available anyway. We would be insane to not chase him no matter the thoughts on here. But I'm not holding out hope of anyone else. Maybe Petty if he convinces Melbourne that he wont be resigning a contract and they miss finals this year? who the hell knows. But anyway, I dont think too much will happen come trade week.

I voted no on the Big Fish because (big fish to me is an elite mid or genuine afl star for their position in the prime of their career or an exciting high potential young player yet to hit their peak years.

A big fish is not a 29-30yo + player or a fringe player or a role player. Genuine Star.

The only big fish imo is LDU, that is knowingly available anyway. We would be insane to not chase him no matter the thoughts on here. But I'm not holding out hope of anyone else. Maybe Petty if he convinces Melbourne that he wont be resigning a contract and they miss finals this year? who the hell knows. But anyway, I dont think too much will happen come trade week.
Petty? Reckon he's a Minnow.

Too meek

Said also players were gutted when Rahilly left
If he was senior coach there’d be much more buy in and different results
I’ve been wondering if nicks gets sacked (when) if rahilly would be a legitimate contender

With that last comment do you have any insight on that?

My gut feel is we may try and trade with a team like Freo who have multiple 1sts and split our pick for 2. So 4 for 13 + 15, 1 goes to Melbourne for Petty and the either for Welsh or for another player to bring in via trade (and we trade a few fringe guys for later picks to bundle together for Welsh).
You have a horrendous gut.

Why did you have to post that..that is one of the worst outcomes i could think if we end up with a top 5 pick and there are some top quality mids there at that pick. That sort of stuff that you posted fills me with dread on what they could try come trade time, not that the necessarily will, but its a possibility as they have made noise about trading in players.
To be fair to Reid, his trading has been pretty good.

This sounds like fear mongering.

I'm not a fan of it, but they've made it pretty clear they want to make the list more experienced and don't see the draft as a major priority in the short term currently.

You can probably guarantee that Nicks is telling the higher ups he needs more experienced players in to execute his gameplan, and it's not his fault because he's been given a group of kids who can't do the job.

That's part of why he's been so insistent on using as few players as possible and not rotating younger guys into the midfield as much.
C'mon.

The ENTIRE football industry - every journo, every radio and TV reporter, every podcaster, every shock jock - are saying the same thing about us.

Our midfield doesn't have enough talent.

Because we want to just roll about in our pain, we want to invent things the club might do wrong.

Let's just focus on things that are remotely likely.

Nicks hasn't played kids in the midfield because he doesn't have the young talent. He'd be the first person demanding for better mids. There's zero chance he's throwing away our one opportunity to bring in a decent mid to get some mediocre tall.

There's not really the type of mid we need available in the draft even with pick 4, the ones that sound like what we need are more speculative. There's no Harley Reid or JHF type this year it's a bit even at the top, we keep picking weak top line mid draft years to be shit
Okay, this doesn't seem to make any sense.

There's a stack of good mids this year - you're guaranteed one picking in the top five.

The kind of mid we need isn't so particular that only a unique type of player can fill the role. We need "not shit".

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not going to happen!!

For ****s sake, why so we invent incredibly unlikely things to also feel sick about? This shit at the moment is crap enough without going "what if we gave away our picks for a bag of beans?"
Have you not seen what this club have done previously?

We dont have to ''invent stuff '' the AFC live it

Silvers reiterated only a week ago we were still hitting the trade hard

Nicks hasn't played kids in the midfield because he doesn't have the young talent. He'd be the first person demanding for better mids. There's zero chance he's throwing away our one opportunity to bring in a decent mid to get some mediocre tall.
C'mon

C'mon.

The ENTIRE football industry - every journo, every radio and TV reporter, every podcaster, every shock jock - are saying the same thing about us.

Because we want to just roll about in our pain, we want to invent things the club might do wrong.

Not Listening La La GIF by Ranveer Singh

Must be nice in Kristoff fantasy world

It's not going to happen!!

For ****s sake, why so we invent incredibly unlikely things to also feel sick about? This shit at the moment is crap enough without going "what if we gave away our picks for a bag of beans?"

You’re telling me, the club wouldn’t do something as stupid like giving a high pick to downgrade it heavily? I think they can.

C'mon.

I’d rather give opportunity to those like Berry and Dowling in the midfield to see what they can do.

There’s no point playing Dowling in the reserves or Berry as sub on a regular basis that’s not doing anything for their development.

Also I’d rather play those two instead in the heart of the midfield instead of seeing Laird in the midfield.

Nicks is notorious for playing the same old midfield instead of mixing things up

Remind me again what happened when Nicks was dragged kicking and screaming into giving Jake Soligo and Izak Rankine midfield time.

Have you noticed when we play Soligo, Rankine and Dawson we look dangerous?

There’s legitimately no point playing both crouch (29) and Laird (31) in the midfield at the same time.

You have a horrendous gut.
They traded pick 5 for Rankine who they were very vocal about not being a midfielder because he hit their target of being a 22-26 year old who was an "elite talent".

What makes you say they categorically won't do it when they've been quite vocal about wanting to follow the same path again?

I’d rather give opportunity to those like Berry and Dowling in the midfield to see what they can do.

There’s no point playing Dowling in the reserves or Berry as sub on a regular basis that’s not doing anything for their development.

Also I’d rather play those two instead in the heart of the midfield instead of seeing Laird in the midfield.

Nicks is notorious for playing the same old midfield instead of mixing things up
Sure, they need and will get more minutes.

But it's pretty obvious what Berry offers. It's not good enough, we've seen it. It's Laird but getting less of the ball.

Dowling? He absolutely should get more opportunities. But he was a late pick for a reason, he's not a saviour.

The player I'm really disappointed in is Pedlar. This should be his year, but he seemed unfit. He needs to work harder to transform his tank.

Back