2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you prepared to lose to both Richmond and The Eagles as it stands?

And if both Richmond and The Eagles also wish to lose?

akR7KoP.gif

I don't think they could catch us anyway & i agree with what you said play to win.
I haven't caught up on the conversation, but I assume we're talking about finishing below Adelaide rathe than WCE or Richmond catching up, right?

I feel like Adelaide will win one of the in-Adelaide games against Hawks/Dogs/Port.
We'd need to lose to at least one of WCE or Tiges to finish below them. But if we snag even one other game, we'll finish above them.

I'd say we're likely to finish 14th. Miles off the Hawks in 13th and at least half a game above the Crows.

I can't see the club pulling the hard tank required to finish lower, so hopefully we win a few games on the way home instead.

Either way, finishing above or below Adelaide isn't an issue since they're basically locked to take Draper. The only element we need to go our way is 2 of Jagga, Lalor or Draper are available for our picks, which means Trainor has to go in the top 4

If we keep 4 and 5, then six will be the next Bont.

Or 4 and 5 will be the next Coffield and Clark. Trade it and we'll take the next Dunstan and Acres. It's how we roll.

We should throw darts and see if that works better.

Or 4 and 5 will be the next Coffield and Clark. Trade it and we'll take the next Dunstan and Acres. It's how we roll.

We should throw darts and see if that works better.
NWM, Pou, Windy, Owens and Wilson seem good picks from ordinary picks, Collard, Garcia, Arie, Hastie, Keeler have a lot of potential.

I think we have a fairly good record so far this decade.
BTW Coffield, Clark and Arces are all still in AFL senior teams. Dunstan could have been if he didn't crack the sads left and did his knee.
Our inside mids are so parlous at the minute he or Bytel would get a gig.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Either way, finishing above or below Adelaide isn't an issue since they're basically locked to take Draper. The only element we need to go our way is 2 of Jagga, Lalor or Draper are available for our picks, which means Trainor has to go in the top 4

Trainor is the real shake-up player in the top 6. If someone jumps early we probably get a better chance at one of the high end mids.

To me Smilie having a shit champs campaign and O'Sullivan not exactly looking the goods might push guys like Jagga higher but there are people who still don't rate him either.

O'Sullivan has been quite unimpressive even accounting for injury lay offs.

Lalor didn't look that great either though to be honest. If you were basing it off the champs Jagga, Trainor, Reid and Langford would look like top 5 picks. This guy gives an interesting conundrum.

Curious to see who people would take in these scenarios:

Smillie or Langford

Sims or J.Whitlock

Lindsay or Reid

O’Farrell or M.Whitlock

Armstrong or Shanahan

Smith or Draper

Kako or Berry

Can’t recall a draft as even as this one.

NWM, Pou, Windy, Owens and Wilson seem good picks from ordinary picks, Collard, Garcia, Arie, Hastie, Keeler have a lot of potential.

I think we have a fairly good record so far this decade.
BTW Coffield, Clark and Arces are all still in AFL senior teams. Dunstan could have been if he didn't crack the sads left and did his knee.
Our inside mids are so parlous at the minute he or Bytel would get a gig.

We have actually been good in the last few years. New set up though with lots to prove. Toce nailed Nas, Pou and Wilson and Garcia, Arie, Keeler and Hastie all look likely types. Collard is still a wait and see for me. Definitely not like we were under Trout and Richo which seemed set up as a failure factory for kids drafted to us.

Jack Whitlock doesn't look a top 10 pick but looks good. I reckon he goes in the early teens. His brother might be the Ben King and be there at our SRDP if you want a tall forward. Faull looks good too but will be gone by then too. Shanahan might drift out there.
Will have to disagree on Whitlock Gringo. He took the game by the scruff of the neck in the champs game. Look quickish for a big man, gets to position really well, takes a strong mark and kicks truly.

If we went down your suggested path and swap 5 or 6 for two later frdp's we should definately look at taking him.

If we do go down that path though we bloody well get pick 5 right. From what I saw yesterday Smith or Reid and one of Lalor, Smillie, Berry, Lindsay whomever is left.

After watching just the one game, it is very difficult to see a standout. I really feel that Smillie could be a smokey 194cm looks like a proto type Bont or Cripps. Looked very good in the first half yesterday, then went completely missing until the last ten minutes of the 4th where he got some important touches.

So under your suggestion if we got say Reid @ 5 then Smillie and Whitlock later in the first, I would be pretty comfortable.

Will have to disagree on Whitlock Gringo. He took the game by the scruff of the neck in the champs game. Look quickish for a big man, gets to position really well, takes a strong mark and kicks truly.

If we went down your suggested path and swap 5 or 6 for two later frdp's we should definately look at taking him.

If we do go down that path though we bloody well get pick 5 right. From what I saw yesterday Smith or Reid and one of Lalor, Smillie, Berry, Lindsay whomever is left.

After watching just the one game, it is very difficult to see a standout. I really feel that Smillie could be a smokey 194cm looks like a proto type Bont or Cripps. Looked very good in the first half yesterday, then went completely missing until the last ten minutes of the 4th where he got some important touches.

So under your suggestion if we got say Reid @ 5 then Smillie and Whitlock later in the first, I would be pretty comfortable.
Smilie is the current pick 1 favourite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smillie will be gone in the top 3. Reid @ 5 is a massive reach, I can’t imagine why any recruiter would take him that high. Whitlock potentially but I’d prefer Faull or Shanahan

Smillie will be gone in the top 3. Reid @ 5 is a massive reach, I can’t imagine why any recruiter would take him that high. Whitlock potentially but I’d prefer Faull or Shanahan
All of my take is from what I saw yesterday so my exposure is limited. Reid was my BoG yesterday, Smith is a contested ball beast.

Depends who comes last but looks like Smillie will be Richmond bound if North want Trainor. I feel I am settling on Jagga, Draper, Reid and bunch of others.

We have the real potential to completely fk this up. I would not want to be the recruit manager. Reckon Twomey wont get near the top 13 this year.

The champs have certainly shaken up the potential draft order.

FOS may well be underdone but 7 touches in a match isn't what we expect from a pick one or two, Smillie similar based on output.

I see a real chance that these guys could slide unless they pull their finger out. I still think FOS will be the best from this draft over a career.

Smith seems to be the best performed this year. Trainor seems to be playing great footy and is what North need. Draper is following up his dominant under-age year with solid senior footy form. Lalor could finish like a steam train.

Whether it's above or below the Crows, we should be in a great spot in this year's draft!

I really like him and mentioned him before but can't see him going top 10 unless someone really goes nuts and jumps early.

Smilie has had a really disappointing campaign. He is a huge unit and I've been waiting for him to take a game but the scruff of the neck. He looks a big commanding presence but just hasn't done much in the champs. Even last week people were suggesting pick one. I'd be surprised now. That game should have been one he dominated.

I can't see any side wanting to move up into the top 6 unless someone like Trainor is still on the board. You'll get good players late in the first round and I reckon most would rather a double dip than a single throw at the dartboard.

Reid looked really good in every game I saw him play. He looks ideal apart from his speed and his testing. The fear is that he's a bit Hunter Clark I guess but he's got enough tricks to make the speed not look like a major issue.

The champs have certainly shaken up the potential draft order.

FOS may well be underdone but 7 touches in a match isn't what we expect from a pick one or two, Smillie similar based on output.

I see a real chance that these guys could slide unless they pull their finger out. I still think FOS will be the best from this draft over a career.

Smith seems to be the best performed this year. Trainor seems to be playing great footy and is what North need. Draper is following up his dominant under-age year with solid senior footy form. Lalor could finish like a steam train.

Whether it's above or below the Crows, we should be in a great spot in this year's draft!

FOS looked outstanding last year but without showing much you're taking a gamble. Last year he looked Wardlaw good. Not as confident now.

And if both Richmond and The Eagles also wish to lose?

akR7KoP.gif
Doc.....no doubt a Monday morning special...!!!!!!

That is very very good..........plus it gives a great laugh.

Your out of the blocks very early this week.

No need for the Stewards this week I suspect ...!!!!!

Nor any photo finishes.

It's yours to lose.

All of my take is from what I saw yesterday so my exposure is limited. Reid was my BoG yesterday, Smith is a contested ball beast.

Depends who comes last but looks like Smillie will be Richmond bound if North want Trainor. I feel I am settling on Jagga, Draper, Reid and bunch of others.

We have the real potential to completely fk this up. I would not want to be the recruit manager. Reckon Twomey wont get near the top 13 this year.

I think Twomey speaks to a lot of the list managers to get the vibe on where they sit so his magic is more in relationships than observation IMO. Still looks the hardest to call that I can remember. Lots have had horrible Champs campaigns and a few have made people sit up.

I guess there's always a couple who drop right out, look at Lorenzo and Moir last year. Very very seriously doubt that's FOS though.
Hardly sighted yesterday, Smith, Reid, Smillie, Langford, Berry,Lalor, Lindsay and Ivisic all had better games in midfield IMO.

I think Twomey speaks to a lot of the list managers to get the vibe on where they sit so his magic is more in relationships than observation IMO. Still looks the hardest to call that I can remember. Lots have had horrible Champs campaigns and a few have made people sit up.
The last game was a ripper but a few were pretty ordinary matches early. I still like the look of this draft gringo, I know there’s no Reid type this year but just as often there’s a few bits of eye candy and then it drops way fairly quickly. This year looks to me like we’re starting around pick 4 but the first round has double the normal number worthy of having their names called.

If we get three maybe four picks in then take our academy boys this could be another great draft for us.

Last edited:
I think he does a player ranking after the champs...his Mock draft comes on the eve of the draft and is based more on club information and disclosure

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back