22 Under 22 - 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll do it club-by-club. Apologies if I've missed someone crucial.

Adelaide: Sholl, Schoenberg and Thilthorpe would all be probable squad members. Maybe Butts as well. Not sure if any of them are in the 22 yet, though.
Brisbane: Starcevich should be a lock. Bailey would be in the side right now. Can't think of anyone else that qualifies.
Carlton: Walsh. That's about it, though.
Collingwood: Think Quaynor would be thereabouts. Daicos made it last year and is still eligible (born in November) but probably hasn't quite stood out enough for the 22. Would Poulter be in the mix if he goes as well for the rest of the season as he's started?
Essendon: Ridley was an October birth so is still eligible and presumably makes it. Cox and maybe Perkins for the squad. Draper's birthday is a couple of days after the GF so I think he still qualifies, but would have to do very well given his injury to have a shot.
Fremantle: Brayshaw has to be there. Cerra probably will be there by the end of the season. Serong would at least be in the squad. Again can't think of anyone else that qualifies though Frederick might've had a shot but for injury.
Geelong: This is an Under 22 side, not an Over 32 side :p
Gold Coast: King is a lock; Powell, Anderson and Lukosius would be thereabouts. Rankine might have a chance too whereas Rowell could push for it with a dominant second half of the season.
GWS: Taylor was a lock pre-injury, might still have a crack if he gets back quickly enough. Green and Ash thereabouts.
Hawthorn: CJ would probably be in the side now. If Scrimshaw was born a few weeks later he'd be thereabouts, too. Worpel, Morrison, Kozi and Moore all maybes; Day a chance if he gets back to his pre-injury form.
Melbourne: Pickett a lock. Jackson probably a lock because of the paucity of other rucks. Jordon and Rivers would be thereabouts.
North Melbourne: Thomas and (pending that injury didn't hurt his momentum) Stephenson would be in the mix. Powell a good chance for the squad at least, whereas Bonar might've had a chance pre-injury.
Port Adelaide: Rozee has a shot if he blitzes the second half of the year, Butters and Duursma make it if it wasn't for their injury. Drew might have a shot at the squad.
Richmond: Bolton was born in November so has to be there, Balta would probably be in the side right now too. CCJ's probably started too late given that there are plenty of other options in his position.
St Kilda: Higgins would be thereabouts. Clark similar to Daicos as a 2020 player who probably hasn't done quite enough to make it (and now he'll miss weeks with a broken jaw...) King's probably played himself out of it.
Sydney: Surprisingly tough to find players that would definitely make it, most of the youth has been more 'impact' than 'consistency'. Warner and McCartin would be at least a squad member, Gulden and Rowbottom maybes with strong second halves of the season. McInerney and Wicks maybes for the squad.
West Coast: Allen. Petrucelle might have a shot at the squad.
Western Bulldogs: Naughton is a lock. Smith is borderline as to whether he deserves it but I think his rep gets him in. If Weightman he keeps up his form he'll go very close.
Daicos missed to many games, Poulter’s been good but not anywhere near that team, Henry has played well the last few games, with a strong finish he could be thereabouts.

IQ would be in consideration.

Bianco is the one I like going forward, elite by foot, him and Henry are the picks of our younger kids.

I think Tarryn Thomas and Dylan Moore have pushed their way in now (discussed on the last page a month ago).

Tarryn's hot form has continued and is a line breaking, goal kicking mid coming off his best game. Has also upped his tackles recently.

Dylan Moore (also coming off his best game) has now kicked 23 goals, averages more of the ball than any other small forward and is 2nd in the league for tackles inside 50. He (and Kozzie Pickett) should be the small forwards.

Stephenson is 1 disposal off joining Petracca, Martin, Bont and Bolton as the only 20 & 1 players in the league.

I think he makes the team just quietly.

Can’t think of another wingman in this group that would be picked over him.

He’s statistically very similar to Bolton.

Last edited:
Stephenson is 1 disposal off joining Petracca, Martin, Bont and Bolton as the only 20 & 1 players in the league.

I think he makes the team just quietly.

Can’t think of another wingman in this group that would be picked over him.

He’s statistically very similar to Bolton.
0.1 of a disposal.

No Dylan Moore is a bit for fail, but Yaaaa CJ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Tarryn Thomas is ridiculous. A number of players he should've been in over.

Tarryn Thomas the biggest omission

Ben King in for the name, not for the performance.

Thomas missing is astounding.

Taylor, McCartin, Ridley, Lukoscius down back and King x 2, Naughton and Allen up forward is awfully tall.

Not saying it couldn’t work, but it’s a very tall team.
Ridley and Luko are tall but they don't play tall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back