Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 13 - Crows v Tigers Thurs June 6th 7:30pm AEST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Crows by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Crows by 7 - 20

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Crows by a lot

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

While we’re digressing from the game, first step is full time umpires
What do you do with them for the time they're not playing/reviewing?

There's only so much work a FT umpire can do and they already get paid quite well, or so I hear.

Going FT won't make it any better, they simply need to get rid of 'interpretations' and find a way to make the rules iron-clad.

Given that all the blokes at AFL house are incompetent/useless it stands to reason that the female hires would be too.

Who's head of HR there? Because they are really, really sh*t at their job.
HR's job is to sack people without inviting an unlawful dismissal lawsuit.

They serve zero purpose other than that.

Aspects of the game were a mess prior to her taking the role and aspects of the game are a mess after she has taken the role.

I think it's lazy to place the blame on her alone and even lazier to suggest she knows nothing about the sport she's holding a pretty senior role in.

100%

Perhaps it’s more frustration in general and Laura is the easy scapegoat at this point in time. She has big shoes to fill and what the game needs is a strong leadership that will bring the game back to a level of certainty.

However Laura weighing into the public opinion of changing established rules for awards or issuing overnight directives on umpiring isnt the way to do it nor will it increase her popularity.

Good thing she's spent a decade or so in the industry before being appointed then, eh?
I didn’t say she didn’t. My post said that it didn’t matter whether a female or male was running the show. What it does need is someone that understands the model

And my post was a response to Jeremias who was quoting Fadge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She played the game for many years and has held administrative roles for nearly a decade.

I dare say she has a very good understanding of the sport.
Like rewarding players second to the ball? The number one fundamental element of playing afl is getting the ball. One that's taught to you from a very young age.

Going FT won't make it any better, they simply need to get rid of 'interpretations' and find a way to make the rules iron-clad.

The constant tinkering of rules isn’t making their role any easier

Of course not. She just happens to be a woman.
I could not care less what gender they are. I care about the fabric of AFL. The umpiring is so incredibly inconsistent that it beggars belief. Instead of making it easier for the umpires they are making it more confusing

100%

Perhaps it’s more frustration in general and Laura is the easy scapegoat at this point in time. She has big shoes to fill and what the game needs is a strong leadership that will bring the game back to a level of certainty.

However Laura weighing into the public opinion of changing established rules for awards or issuing overnight directives on umpiring isnt the way to do it nor will it increase her popularity.
Changing rules you didn't want to change makes her unpopular right?

Because there are other rules that could be changed and supporters would be cheering from the nosebleed section. Four immediate ones for me.
  • Stand! STAND! 50 meters..
  • Go around. 50 meters, you were 4.8mtrs away, not 5.
  • Free kick. You didn't put your hand up to nominate for the ruck.
  • Insufficient intent, you kicked it off the ground to clear the area and the ball went 60 mtrs, took a Shane Warne leggie bounce and trickled over the boundary line with an opponent deliberately not picking up the ball but shepherding it out of play.

Like rewarding players second to the ball? The number one fundamental element of playing afl is getting the ball. One that's taught to you from a very young age.
It's not rewarding players second to the ball, it's bringing back use it or lose it and has sped the game up considerably.

And it was your coach calling for it!!!

It's not rewarding players second to the ball, it's bringing back use it or lose it and has sped the game up considerably.

And it was your coach calling for it!!!
Mate the player is getting pinned for holding the ball as soon as tackled. Ridiculous. This is as a result of a direction by the AFL.

Changing rules you didn't want to change makes her unpopular right?

Because there are other rules that could be changed and supporters would be cheering from the nosebleed section. Four immediate ones for me.
  • Stand! STAND! 50 meters..
  • Go around. 50 meters, you were 4.8mtrs away, not 5.
  • Free kick. You didn't put your hand up to nominate for the ruck.
  • Insufficient intent, you kicked it off the ground to clear the area and the ball went 60 mtrs, took a Shane Warne leggie bounce and trickled over the boundary line with an opponent deliberately not picking up the ball but shepherding it out of play.
You forgot 50 metres for time wasting for not giving the ball directly back to the umpire (but only sometimes).

Back