Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 13 - Hawks v GWS Sat June 8th 1:45pm AEST (Uni of Tassie)

Who will win and by how much?

• Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • GWS by 7 - 20

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GWS by a lot

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of sooks here. Hawthorn well-deserved winners. Blame the umpires all you want, but if GWS were a serious top four side, they would've buried the Hawks well before the final 5 mins and we wouldn't even be having a discussion about umpires.

Yep. We were 2.7 at half time when we lost our only Ruck. Briggs spent the 2nd half blocking Weddle and Nash every single centre bounce and wasnt once pinged. Also took the ball out of the ruck and ran with it, tackled twice, dropped it, and the umpire called play on.

It was all there for GWS to take, but they failed. Taylor probably had his worst game of the year. Probably now spends his time checking out real estate and not worrying about football. At the least noticeable, least accountable club in the competition and he is there for another 7 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Putting aside the fact that it was barely half a second after he kicked it, I just don’t think it’s as clear as that in the rule book. The bump is not allowed from the back, high or when the ball is more than 5m away (it wasn’t, despite the kick made) so to me it falls in the same category as the C Cameron one one Howe in the 23 GF.

See attached. The rules need clarification.
Found this article from a few years ago. https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/08/19/afl-umpire-clarifies-downfield-free-kick-ruling

Chamberlain basically says the player applying the pressure has to get there before or as the player disposing the ball. If it's late it doesn't matter if it's prohibited or not.

Look I'm annoyed as anyone to see the game end on such an innocuous incident but if that's the rule and the umpires have applied it.

Couldn’t care less on the result, but to have an ump make that call makes you think he predetermined it. I am sick and tired of the “ it’s a difficult game to umpire” ….a lot of jobs are bloody difficult. This issue is there seems no penalty for a poor performance unless you are a goal umpire. If it’s too difficult get out and let someone else in. This to me is a clear cut poor decision and is not related to any difficulty in umpiring AFL. Every week umps stuff up relatively easy calls. Take the accountability of getting it wrong.

Found this article from a few years ago. https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/08/19/afl-umpire-clarifies-downfield-free-kick-ruling

Chamberlain basically says the player applying the pressure has to get there before or as the player disposing the ball. If it's late it doesn't matter if it's prohibited or not.

Look I'm annoyed as anyone to see the game end on such an innocuous incident but if that's then the umpires have applied it.

He also could have tried to lay a tackle / smoth, instead of jumping and bumping. So he is lucky he didnt collect Sicily high.

Especially since apparantly he was there in time...

So you believe that only the final free kick of the game matters? Says a lot about your grasp of the game.
It was the lead up 2 to Ginnivan and Newcombe that were the deciding factors.

Ginnivan especially and that free changed all momentum. No Hawks supporter can honestly say that Ginnivan free was there and he didn't play for it. Umps took the bait and the rest is history.

I require a greater test of evidence than just ‘wanting to be right’.

ATM there is a champion player claiming it was staged.

If the AFL come out and back the ump…so be it.
Derm queries all the frees we get and is silent on the ones we don't. We had a ton not paid the last quarter that weer absolutely blatant.

We also had professional umpires suggesting it was a free downfield.

..... so who do we believe?

He was sat down after he kicked it. That's a free downfield every single day

Derm queries all the frees we get and is silent on the ones we don't. We had a ton not paid the last quarter that weer absolutely blatant.

We also had professional umpires suggesting it was a free downfield.

..... so who do we believe?

He was sat down after he kicked it. That's a free downfield every single day
After or as?

Back