Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 16 - Eagles v Hawks Sun June 30th 4:40pm AEST/1:40pm WST (OS)

Who will win and by how much?

• Eagles by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Eagles by 7 - 20

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 23 34.3%
  • Eagles by a lot

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ginnivan and Watson need to back up their bullshit if they want to get anywhere.

Ginnivan dropping a chest mark and kicking a goal from the goal square to then shush the crowd is just not it. Wont get any respect if you’re average at football with those sorts of antics
Ginnivan had 21 disposals and kicked 2. “Average”.

You won’t get it from anyone bud. Ginnivan is the most hated player in the AFL and Watson is following in his footsteps quite quickly
And what reason do you have that makes you think that bothers me in any way? It's behaviour that is INTENDED to make flogs like you throw your toys out of the cot, you are actively feeding it. If they weren't getting a reaction they'd probably get bored with it and move on.

And what reason do you have that makes you think that bothers me in any way? It's behaviour that is INTENDED to make flogs like you throw your toys out of the cot, you are actively feeding it. If they weren't getting a reaction they'd probably get bored with it and move on.
I mean I’d respect it if they backed it up with good footy but being shit and carrying on like that just makes you come across as a tosser

Ginnivan and Watson need to back up their bullshit if they want to get anywhere.

Ginnivan dropping a chest mark and kicking a goal from the goal square to then shush the crowd is just not it. Wont get any respect if you’re average at football with those sorts of antics
I’ve warmed to Ginnivan just a little. He certainly has more right to show off than Watson does.

I’ve warmed to Ginnivan just a little. He certainly has more right to show off than Watson does.
Did yell 'learn to kick you campaigner' at the telly courtesy of Watson a few times today. Good thing he stirs up the troglodytes otherwise I'd be calling for him to go back to Box Hill until he sorts his kicking and his psychology out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean I’d respect it if they backed it up with good footy but being shit and carrying on like that just makes you come across as a tosser
Look, I’m not enamoured with that sort of carry-on either, but the premise that Watson (a 19 year-old playing his eighth game of senior football) is shit is a terrible take. He’s had 23 scoring shots, and probably more than 30 total shots at goal. That’s an incredible return for a small forward of his age and inexperience. If his kicking merely improves to being average, you’re looking at a 40+ goal small forward based on current output alone. Of all Hawthorn’s under 23 cohort, only Weddle has more upside (IMO).

I don’t think the group cares what people think about them as players, as long as they’re not dirty. Play within the rules and give as much shit at you want. Shushing the crowd because it’s a hostile away game and the doubters are coming at a kid, nothing wrong with it. All for it.
Unsociable Hawks? Happy to win any way we have to, but that doesn’t mean I have to respect the bloke. It’s been rare for me to dislike any player on a Hawks side, but this guy is pushing the friendship. Anyone who has the right mail on him knows he will be elite, but I’m sorry that I don’t like the way he is going about it at the moment.

Compare the pair

View attachment 2035347View attachment 2035348

Hawthorn won almost as many games in their worst season (2023) than the Eagles have in the last three years combined.

And yet the Eagles still have a woeful age profile
there is a reason why the Eagles still have a woeful age profile. Its called Equalization.

Eagles constantly made finals from 2015-20. So 6 years in a row they made finals. Before that, they missed out on finals in 2013-4. Those 2 years were the last 2 years they had early picks. Before that they made finals in the 2011-12 seasons off the back of the 2005-6 grand final players like Glass, Quentin Lynch, Cox, Kerr and Embley.

2008-10 they didnt make finals. That 2010 draft got them Gaff, Darling and Lycett and McGovern. Lycett Retired last season in Port colours. Gaff and Darling are cooked. McGovern is still semi decent. Guys like Shannon Hurn and Luke Shuey stayed on the eagles list one year too many.

I mean freo suffered the same fate. Dockers had their finals run in 2012-15. Pavlich, McPharlin, Johnson, Mundy and Sandilands were all in their 30s when freo made finals in that period.

Dockers go 0-10 in 2016 and had to phase out the old guys. It took a while for the young blokes to emerge, especially the key postion players. Heres one example.

Sandilands retired at the end of 2019 as a 37 year old. The timing was right too. He is replacement was Sean Darcy.

Sean Darcy came from Geelong. His debut game was rond 15, 2017 vs the cats in Geelong. Sean Darcy played 25 games from 2017-19 due to injuries and rotating as a 2nd ruck behind sandilands when fit. Once Sandilands retired, Darcy was in his 4th year and fully developed and has been freos main ruckman since round 1 of 2020.

Essentially... When you have an ageing squad where you have 7 or 8 or 9 blokes in your best 23 that are 30 years old or older, you eventually need to bring fresh kids in.

With a league of 18 sides, 19 when tassie rocks up and only 8 finals spots, its gonna be common for sides to spend 5 or 6 years in a row of not making finals.

But that 1st year of the rebuild is important. Those 18-20 year olds you get will be 23-25 year olds 5 years later, thats your next generation of core players helping the squad contest finals.

Back