Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 16 - Lions v Demons Fri June 28th 7:40pm AEST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Demons by a goal or less

• Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 51 79.7%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Draw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The first one is lineball, but the 2nd and 3rd are absolute shockers...still, that doesn't excuse Melbourne's capitulation...they were the better team all night and completely collapsed.

Not sure what game you were watching but "better team all night." You can categorically state they were the better team in the second quarter. Unfortunately for the Dees footy is four quarters game.

The first one is lineball, but the 2nd and 3rd are absolute shockers...still, that doesn't excuse Melbourne's capitulation...they were the better team all night and completely collapsed.
I totally agree. The Petty 2 misses for goal and Langdon missing 2 were killers. Just needed 1 and the game would've been over. Didn't take their chances but the season was over before last night anyway so doesn't really make a difference

Dangerfield in round 1 showed what to do. Rivers completely choked with the extended delay and nothing kick.
huh? Wasn't Dangerfield much closer? From Danger he made a mistake too. Shouldve passed it and guaranteed the game but instead had a shot which he usually would miss.
Rivers can kick 75m. He was torn between passing it and having a shot so he went in between. When I was watching it, I wanted him to have a shot. he's only 22. Still young. played well otherwise. I care more about the 2 misses by Petty and Langdon and the diabolical umpiring. We get neutral umpires and Rivers is having that shot to put us up by 30. Don't forget the umps said he 'ran too far' which never would've been called if he played for Brisbane. Stevic had a shocker.

huh? Wasn't Dangerfield much closer? From Danger he made a mistake too. Shouldve passed it and guaranteed the game but instead had a shot which he usually would miss.
Rivers can kick 75m. He was torn between passing it and having a shot so he went in between. When I was watching it, I wanted him to have a shot. he's only 22. Still young. played well otherwise. I care more about the 2 misses by Petty and Langdon and the diabolical umpiring. We get neutral umpires and Rivers is having that shot to put us up by 30. Don't forget the umps said he 'ran too far' which never would've been called if he played for Brisbane. Stevic had a shocker.
The free kick count was 15 to 10 but let’s not let stats get in the way of you placing blame on anyone but Melbourne for losing that game

Lol. who in their right mind uses the free kick count as a guide. Doesn't cater for the 40 missed calls.
look like you’re blaming the umpires here to me 40 missed call please that either a delusional or clueless call

I remember you ridiculed Dangerfield's decision at the time. His slow run in and then execution of the shot (which was much higher probability than Rivers location) worked out very well.

Rivers is a gun but failed (like you said, an in between kick that achieved nothing...or a shot that dropped well short) on that and the 50m goal where he ran a few metres too far. It's alright, young players can make mistakes and hopefully he learns from them.

Not sure what game you were watching but "better team all night." You can categorically state they were the better team in the second quarter. Unfortunately for the Dees footy is four quarters game.
Of course they were, once they got going they were in complete control and the Lions were rubbish. The Dees blew it in the final QTR.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I totally agree. The Petty 2 misses for goal and Langdon missing 2 were killers. Just needed 1 and the game would've been over. Didn't take their chances but the season was over before last night anyway so doesn't really make a difference
Both sides missed a lot of shots at goal they should kick and made mistakes that cost them other chances you'd expect an AFL team to take. That being said, Brisbane missed more gettable shots and made more errors costing them further chances than did Melbourne. I'd argue it was only Melbourne taking their chances in the 2nd half of the second quarter that had them in front. Brisbane scored 3.7 in the first with Hipwood missing from 30 out in front and Oscar O missing from 25 in front. Fumbles / dumb decisions costing them another 2 chances from directly in front. Thats in the 1st quarter alone. Think Daniher also cost them 1 in the first but could be getting the quarters confused. Brisbane also long bombed to the square a lot which was easy pickings for Melbourne's defence.

I understand that as a Melbourne supporter you are going to focus on the chances Melbourne didn't take and wonder what if but to suggest it was missed chances that cost Melbourne is only a very small part of the story. Name a Melbourne forward outside of Pickett that looked genuinely dangerous across the game and not in patches. Name a Melbourne midfielder that contributed for more than 2.5 quarters outside of Viney. Melbourne defended pretty well for most of the game which kept that game as close as it was and to a certain extent contributed to Brisbane making as many mistakes as they did.

The biggest difference for me though was in the coaches box. Fagan realised Morris wasn't contributing and subbed him off halfway in the 3rd bringing on a player that contributed with link up run and helped turn the game in Brisbane's favour. Morris has contributed in previous games meaning that he had earnt his spot yet Fagan was still able to realise that it wasn't his night and make the change. Goodwin had a player that wasn't contributing and hasn't contributed for most of the season yet selects him whilst the player is out of form and waits until Brisbane have already effectively overrun Melbourne but for their poor conversion before making a panic change when the player doesn't have time to make a change.

Generally speaking if you're only in front in a game around the 1 goal mark because the opposition isn't taking their chances you're in trouble. Relying on another team to keep making basic mistakes isn't sustainable.

Both sides missed a lot of shots at goal they should kick and made mistakes that cost them other chances you'd expect an AFL team to take. That being said, Brisbane missed more gettable shots and made more errors costing them further chances than did Melbourne. I'd argue it was only Melbourne taking their chances in the 2nd half of the second quarter that had them in front. Brisbane scored 3.7 in the first with Hipwood missing from 30 out in front and Oscar O missing from 25 in front. Fumbles / dumb decisions costing them another 2 chances from directly in front. Thats in the 1st quarter alone. Think Daniher also cost them 1 in the first but could be getting the quarters confused. Brisbane also long bombed to the square a lot which was easy pickings for Melbourne's defence.

I understand that as a Melbourne supporter you are going to focus on the chances Melbourne didn't take and wonder what if but to suggest it was missed chances that cost Melbourne is only a very small part of the story. Name a Melbourne forward outside of Pickett that looked genuinely dangerous across the game and not in patches. Name a Melbourne midfielder that contributed for more than 2.5 quarters outside of Viney. Melbourne defended pretty well for most of the game which kept that game as close as it was and to a certain extent contributed to Brisbane making as many mistakes as they did.

The biggest difference for me though was in the coaches box. Fagan realised Morris wasn't contributing and subbed him off halfway in the 3rd bringing on a player that contributed with link up run and helped turn the game in Brisbane's favour. Morris has contributed in previous games meaning that he had earnt his spot yet Fagan was still able to realise that it wasn't his night and make the change. Goodwin had a player that wasn't contributing and hasn't contributed for most of the season yet selects him whilst the player is out of form and waits until Brisbane have already effectively overrun Melbourne but for their poor conversion before making a panic change when the player doesn't have time to make a change.

Generally speaking if you're only in front in a game around the 1 goal mark because the opposition isn't taking their chances you're in trouble. Relying on another team to keep making basic mistakes isn't sustainable.
good post. but I disagree on a lot of things. Van Rooyen looked dangerous all night. Petty had 8 marks and played a decent game until it came to converting. Pickett was obviously dangerous.

Who looked dangerous out of the Brisbane forwards? Hipswood and Daniher weren't. Logan Morris and Rayner are spuds. Charlie Cameron was relatively well held.

in the midfield, I thought Rivers and Oliver cracked in all night. And Viney as you say. Our midfield was in top of theirs for most of the game until the last quarter. But if the umpires were neutral the game would've been well and truly over at 3/4 time.

Yes Brisbane missed some shots too but I'd say almost 7 or 8 of their behinds were spoiled or rushed over so it's a bit misleading.

Yes I agree regarding the sub. It needed to be activated sooner. And Goodwin is being criticised for that.

Of course they were, once they got going they were in complete control and the Lions were rubbish. The Dees blew it in the final QTR.

Nah the second quarter perhaps but Lions were the better team overall as they are. 6 goals in the 2nd half V 2 goals. Lions were in complete control except for the 2nd quarter. Cream rises to the top.

This is taking salty sore loser to unprecedented levels. You need to face the reality that Melbourne are a mid table team and will be for some time to come. But you got a flag at least.
I dont disagree. But we are better than you. And last night proved that. Neutral umpires, neutral venue and that's a healthy win. And we had more youngsters. You really think Brisbane aren't mid-table? you're essentially 10th after last night win if Stevic wasn't umpiring.

But you're right, we took our chance and won the flag. We'll bounce back with Petracca and Oliver getting a pre-seaaon under him.

Back