Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 22 - Swans v Pies Fri Aug 9th 7:40pm AEST (SCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

or even pointed to the mark

he did "briefly", he forgot to stop in the process and looks like he panicked thinking he was almost out of time. Cant blame him though, sometimes it comes off, sometimes it doesnt

The following footage shows it in more clarity

he did "briefly", he forgot to stop in the process and looks like he panicked thinking he was almost out of time. Cant blame him though, sometimes it comes off, sometimes it doesnt

I reckon it wasn’t called because McCartin wasn’t obviously trying to restrain McStay. Looks like McCartin was trying to push off him to slow momentum.

If McCartin made a stronger effort to restrain McStay from playing on, then agreed 50

So bias umpiring is ok only if it's in Collingwood's favour at the G?

Righto Fly. Fast becoming a contender for biggest tosser amongst the AFL coaches.
He just admitted the gift the Pies get playing only 5 times away from Melbourne.
Had a laugh when BT said the Pies are one of the best teams at playing away.
Lost to the Giants, Suns and now Swans, Drew with Freo and beat the Lions when they were at their worst at the beginning of the year.

you can feel the devastation from the 7 & Fox teams
We need some data analysis or machine learning smarts to run an analysis of Ch 7 broadcasts and publish some metrics on words used and decibels based on teams, players, commentators and game situation.

They did an smaller analysis on EPL in this way a few years back and uncovered quite "racist" commentary (white players were "smart" and "hard working" whilst coloured players were jusy "strong" and "naturally talented")

I reckon it wasn’t called because McCartin wasn’t obviously trying to restrain McStay. Looks like McCartin was trying to push off him to slow momentum.

If McCartin made a stronger effort to restrain McStay from playing on, then agreed 50

Which is why IMO it supports the argument that McStay influenced the decision forcing the ump to call play on

We need some data analysis or machine learning smarts to run an analysis of Ch 7 broadcasts and publish some metrics on words used and decibels based on teams, players, commentators and game situation.

They did an smaller analysis on EPL in this way a few years back and uncovered quite "racist" commentary (white players were "smart" and "hard working" whilst coloured players were jusy "strong" and "naturally talented")
That’s pretty easy to do. If you can get me transcripts from all games over the last say 10 years, I can run that sentiment analysis

Funny you mention that, I've noticed that exact thing in the AFL at times. EVen on BF on the North Board years ago when someone was comparing Goldy and Maj.

On top of this if you look at the footage they were both running at the ball. Is it even humanely possible for
McCartin to stop dead at the exact point McStay marked the ball. No of course it's not. McCartin pulled up
and then headed back to the mark as McStay pointed to the mark. He actually did what McStay wanted.
These types of plays happen lots of time in a game and are never paid a 50M penalty. If it had happened
in the first quarter no one would even be talking about it.
The decision to not pay a 50M penalty is just a commonsense decision that we are all always asking the umps
to make. The ump made one.

Wasn't there a non 50m call in the pies v north game. Should have been awarded to North?

Swings and roundabouts!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He became the biggest tosser years ago..
When the pies lost at the SCG in the 2022 prelim, McRae complained about the travel and the size of the SCG, He also complained about the crowd booing Ginnavin for ducking (cheating) - The AFL change the rules of the game due to the way Ginnavin would draw free kicks (cheat).
This is there only game away from the MCG since round 16
Whinging, entitled little prick
I'm not sure why McRae got so worked up about the Ginnivan booing at the SCG, because it certainly didn't seem
to bother Ginnivan. He was sitting on the bench laughing about it. Then the big screen at the ground showed him
smirking about the booing and that got some of the SCG crowd even more riled up. Maybe McRae just needs to
go for a walk in the park to calm down and collect his thoughts a bit before speaking to the press after a game
that the Pies lose.

One of the flaws of the Stand rule. It's not conducive to the natural instincts of players and the game, particularly In finals and in last quarters of home and away games when seasons are on the line.

For the record, i agree that's a 50m penalty to Collingwood.

If only the umpires didn’t get sucked into Jamie Elliot’s staging double goal in the first quarter.
Nah that was there. I'm sorry but Nick Blakey deserved that based on stupidity alone. Runs up and bumps Elliott right in front of the umpire for no particular reason. Maybe Elliott added a bit of mayonnaise to it but there was still some force to it and it showed 0 game sense by Blakey. That's something Jake Lever would do for Melbourne. Just dumb

*may have

You’re welcome
LOL, not sure what you’re getting at, I don’t or didn’t really have a problem with it. McCartin had a full head of steam so obviously can’t stop on a dime.

The bigger issue from the night was the interpretation of the deliberate. Richo mentioned it on air a few weeks ago that they tend to go real hot on a rule for some reason on a Friday night, last night it was obvious that it was that one.

I confess to not having heard of Schultz when we traded him in, cause you know, who the hell watches Freo?

But then was convinced by their supporters he was an A-grade forward, so I was happy. Now I see they lied through their teeth.

Solid role player at best. Definitely best 22 but a bit pricey given his skill set and output.
Don't know what the stats say but he seemed better at Freo. Maybe they were more reliant on him so he got more of it.

He became the biggest tosser years ago..
When the pies lost at the SCG in the 2022 prelim, McRae complained about the travel and the size of the SCG, He also complained about the crowd booing Ginnavin for ducking (cheating) - The AFL change the rules of the game due to the way Ginnavin would draw free kicks (cheat).
This is there only game away from the MCG since round 16
Whinging, entitled little prick
They always went on about how positive he was and how good his attitude was, but I never bought into it much. Not saying he's a bad person but he's far from the always smiling, gracious in defeat Fly the media paints him to be.

LOL, not sure what you’re getting at, I don’t or didn’t really have a problem with it. McCartin had a full head of steam so obviously can’t stop on a dime.

The bigger issue from the night was the interpretation of the deliberate. Richo mentioned it on air a few weeks ago that they tend to go real hot on a rule for some reason on a Friday night, last night it was obvious that it was that one.
People were up in arms because there were so many in a row but almost all were there. Sometimes a player does get unlucky and it's a genuine accident and it's called deliberate...actually happens quite a lot. It isn't always easy for an ump to adjudicate intent in the heat of play/bad angles etc. That late passage where Coll got 2 in a row was there, as was the 50, but that's how it goes.

Pretty clear that there was no 50 called on McCartin as McStay played on almost immediately, otherwise it would have been.

Insufficient intent is an absolute piss take though, especially when you can hear the umpire from the other side of the ground yelling for the main umpire to pay it…

People were up in arms because there were so many in a row but almost all were there. Sometimes a player does get unlucky and it's a genuine accident and it's called deliberate...actually happens quite a lot. It isn't always easy for an ump to adjudicate intent in the heat of play/bad angles etc. That late passage where Coll got 2 in a row was there, as was the 50, but that's how it goes.
Yeah agree, the Moore one was deliberate but the Cox one was very stiff.

It’s just the same old issue with the AFL umpiring and that is why is every game umpired completely differently?

Last night for example was a wet/slippery night, therefore there could be a bit of leniency on some calls. But obviously the umps in their pre game brief were always going to go hard at that all night. And I suppose having 35k screaming fans hanging over the fences helps a little too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 22 - Swans v Pies Fri Aug 9th 7:40pm AEST (SCG)

Back