Coach Alastair Clarkson IV - HFC Racism Investigation Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s bizarre how that is ignored by the media. Has he ever explained why they made the investigation for the period that he wasn’t president?
I honestly wonder if the media are scared sh1tless of being sued by Kennett, and the reason there has been no right of reply for the accused 3 is to cover up his role and avoid an even messier fiasco and opportunity to fund an extension to the lawyer's Portsea summer homes.

The advice to Clarkson should be that you are in the business of coaching, not litigating. You don't want to be stuck in lawyers offices reviewing legal documents, preparing affidavit, etc. whilst everyone is at Arden Street. And no matter how good your case in defamation, any senior counsel is going to leave as least some marks on your reputation.
It's his life and reputation. If he feels the need to defend it I'm not going to complain that his number one priority should be to the club.

I honestly wonder if the media are scared sh1tless of being sued by Kennett, and the reason there has been no right of reply for the accused 3 is to cover up his role and avoid an even messier fiasco and opportunity to fund an extension to the lawyer's Portsea summer homes.

Has anyone questioned him about the timing? They must have. I haven’t paid as much attention to it as others, so I could have missed it.

It’s so on the nose. IIRC The whole reason they did the investigation was because of the fall out with his comments to the Rioli’s, then they exclude the period when he was president, and to cap it off the story was leaked to the ABC while Jeff was conveniently on a cruise and apparently unable to be contacted.

So just to clarify, the most serious of the allegations, the abortion one (Amy/Ian), has not really had a finding made? I’m assuming the documents didn’t exonerate them of that claim as the family wasn’t involved in the investigation so wouldn’t have consented to any docs relating to them being released?

Someone wanna clear this up? They’re probably the most likely to take legal action reading between the lines, right?

While following this thread... I see that Andy Maher and Andrew Gaze have copped a bit of a clip.
I assume they both jumped on the 'guilty until proven innocent' train on SEN.
Does anyone have access to or copies of what they actually said as the story originally broke?
I know you've got something up your sleeve GR! 😏

Can’t help but notice that he’s not flying solo anymore

giphy.gif

While following this thread... I see that Andy Maher and Andrew Gaze have copped a bit of a clip.
I assume they both jumped on the 'guilty until proven innocent' train on SEN.
Does anyone have access to or copies of what they actually said as the story originally broke?
I know you've got something up your sleeve GR! 😏
They were smashing into clarko the day it got announced.
Reckon they could be in line for defamation.

He didn’t say overtly, but he said something along the lines of “zero in on the leak” with some accompanying aggression towards Hawthorn.
It wouldn’t surprise me if that ****er Kennett leaked it as some vindictive plan to **** Clarko over.

The terms of reference were interesting that he had them specifically exclude periods of time that could incriminate him. If you are going to investigate why exclude periods of time?

It would be the karma bus hitting him between the eyes if it turns out Hawthorn get sanctioned for the whole fiasco.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn racism scandal: Jeff Kennett hits back at Gill McLachlan

www.heraldsun.com.au

Former Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett has declared there is no basis for the Hawks to be punished by the AFL for undertaking its cultural review.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan dropped a potential bomb on the Hawks on Tuesday night when he declared they could be in the gun over their corporate governance “with respect to the commissioning and oversight of the Binmada Report”.

McLachlan said the Hawks’ failure to give Clarkson, Fagan and Burt a right of reply would form the basis of a potential charge.

“The process whereby allegations were aired without anybody having the ability to respond to them has provided an environment where there has been many parties – complainants and the defendants – put in a hugely vulnerable situation, and it’s had an impact across the industry for all First Nations people and others,” McLachlan said.

“I think that’s something that needs to be contemplated.”

But Kennett hit back.

“I am profoundly disappointed at the comments by the AFL CEO tonight that they are contemplating taking action against the Hawthorn Football Club,” he said.

“What Hawthorn did in trying to establish whether racial discrimination was widespread in the club was absolutely the correct thing to do.”

Kennett said the club was not responsible for the devastating leak of the report to the ABC in Grand Final week last year.

“That was the trigger that caused the firestorm and the attack on the reputations of the three who stood accused,” he said.

McLachlan said the decision whether to charge Hawthorn would be made by the AFL’s “general counsel (Stephen Meade) and or the Commission”.

Under rule 1.6 the Hawks could be charged with engaging in conduct that is “unbecoming or likely to prejudice the interests or reputation of the Australian Football League or to bring the game of football into disrepute”.

In 2013 the AFL kicked Essendon out of finals, fined the club $2 million and stripped the club of early draft picks in the next two drafts under that rule.

The loss of draft picks would be disastrous for Hawthorn’s rebuild under coach Sam Mitchell, with the club’s first pick currently No.3.

The Binmada review was commissioned by the Hawks board in April last year after favourite son Cyril Rioli and wife Shannyn made claims of racial incidents at the club.

“Gillon McLachlan can’t have his cake and eat it,” Kennett said.

“He can’t on the one hand say it was wrong to find out whether the allegations of the Riolis were widespread or not – and then on finding that there was no substance against any of the three Hawthorn officials – he can’t then say that the club has done anything but the right thing in the interests of a safe workplace.

“We did what any employer would do when something is brought to their attention. We tried to find out whether it was widespread or just isolated. We got the stories, a number of startling, disappointing responses – they have now been investigated and (it was) found that those stories had no substance.”
Kennett said he “trusted” that the current Hawthorn board would have “the courage to actually defend the actions it has taken” and will “argue the case very strongly”.

There you have it. Basically proves this was all a hitjob from the get go by Kennett as one last drive by on Clarko. He took a million dollar payout from the Hawks that made Kennett look foolish, so Jeff wanted the last laugh.

Jeff deliberately leaves his time as president out of the report, hires his puppet Egan to do it, makes sure Clarko isn’t allowed to comment and then leaks it to Rusty.

Gil isn’t pleased. And I reckon the AFL is going to go hard on the Hawks. Very easy for Jeff to speak out from the comfort of retirement life now tho isn’t it. Scumbag

Last edited:
There you have it. Basically proves it was a hit job from the get go by Kennett as one last drive by on Clarko.

Deliberately leaves his time as president out, hires his puppet Egan to do it, makes sure Clarko isn’t allowed to comment and then leaks it Rusty.

Gil isn’t pleased. And I reckon the AFL is going to go hard on the Hawks. Very easy for Jeff to speak out from the comfort of retirement life. Scumbag
It’s fair to say that if the Hawks cop some heavy sanctions that Jeff won’t be invited to any club functions in the future.

Serves the ****er right if he thought he was being clever by taking an underhanded whack at Clarko under the cover of the sham investigation he commissioned.

Can’t help but notice that he’s not flying solo anymore
He’s got a minder. And maybe a few lawyers hovering and proof reading everything the campaigner types nowadays.

So for people more across this than me... and I understand nobody knows exactly what state Alistair Clarkson is in..... do you think he will be back sooner rather than later?

I try not to immerse myself in these kind of issues too much. All I know is it's been a cluster**** from the outset and has caused a lot of people a lot of unnecessary angst, amongst other things.

I guess from a selfish point of view, I just want him back and hopefully pushing us back up the ladder where I believe we belong🙏🙏

It’s fair to say that if the Hawks cop some heavy sanctions that Jeff won’t be invited to any club functions in the future.

Serves the *er right if he thought he was being clever by taking an underhanded whack at Clarko under the cover of the sham investigation he commissioned.
Hawks want nothing to do with him.
He cost them easily $15mil in funding from the Labour government for their redevelopment cause he couldn’t keep his mouth shut and Gowers can’t stand him either. His mate who was CEO is now gone - they seem to be clearing house at Waverley.

I think the AFL commission is going to f*** them up big time

There you have it. Basically proves this was all a hitjob from the get go by Kennett as one last drive by on Clarko. He took a million dollar payout from the Hawks that made Kennett look foolish, so Jeff wanted the last laugh.

Jeff deliberately leaves his time as president out of the report, hires his puppet Egan to do it, makes sure Clarko isn’t allowed to comment and then leaks it to Rusty.

Gil isn’t pleased. And I reckon the AFL is going to go hard on the Hawks. Very easy for Jeff to speak out from the comfort of retirement life now tho isn’t it. Scumbag

That was exactly how I saw it when the whole thing came out. It would be funny if this proves to be what actually happened.

Reeves resignation was intersecting as well. His role in this saga would be quite pivotal you’d think

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I just re read the original article from the ABC, to put it mildly, it’s a really hard read.

The article is based on his interviews with the players and their families, not what the report states… can’t believe I forgot that.

The ABC really should have given Clarkson, Fagan and Burt more opportunity to give their side of the story before going to print. Such a bad move that. They would have known the fallout that a bombshell story like that would have.

What a mess.

I’m surprised Jeff has said this…

“We got the stories, a number of startling, disappointing responses – they have now been investigated and (it was) found that those stories had no substance.”

While it may be the case that legally they can’t/won’t take it further, and maybe they’ve been paid out and happy with that, but I’d put money on it that they still feel their stories had substance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson IV - HFC Racism Investigation Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back