Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

May I intrude

As a Crows fan, we were very grateful for the role that Worsfold played at the club supporting our coaches after the passing of Phil Walsh, and Pyke did an excellent job as coach until the wheels fell off.

Both excellent gets for your club imho. All the best for next year, very keen to see the Eagles rise up the ladder again

Interview on 6PR

Really interesting and Woosh speaks at length about the role and what it involves

As he talks, it becomes clear just how good a fit he is for the position

Pyke has done really well getting himself acclimatised to the club and identifying where/what we need to improve.

Has taken his time but is now putting his plan into action

May I intrude

As a Crows fan, we were very grateful for the role that Worsfold played at the club supporting our coaches after the passing of Phil Walsh, and Pyke did an excellent job as coach until the wheels fell off.

Both excellent gets for your club imho. All the best for next year, very keen to see the Eagles rise up the ladder again

Thanks man, we were unfamiliar with both of them so this insight is appreciated ;)

As a close non-West Coast mate of mine said, is this not a bit undermining for Andrew McQualter? Casts somewhat of a large shadow over him if the old champion coach is there looming over him does it not?

Or hopefully it's more a "here's everything I know kinda mentorship, go knock em dead approach".

The main criticism from the players at Essendon was that Woosh was coaching too much like a director of coaching and not spending enough time investing in personal relationships with players the way modern senior coaches are expected to.

He is all about empowering others within leadership roles to own their positions. This is the literal opposite of a micro-manager. Was he formerly a senior coach at West Coast and elsewhere? Yes. Will he try to do McQualters job for him, covet the senior coach role, or undermine him in any way? Absolutely not.

This role is something he has been preparing for for at least a decade and in many ways a role and space he has almost defined for the industry in order for himself to one day step into. Others have done it but I doubt any will have done it to the level of excellence he will.

He will excel in the role, it will allow the coaching groups across all the programs and other teams within the organisation to maximise their potential, and he's probably in a space of his own in the AFL world in terms of fitting this role perfectly. This appointment is probably the single biggest thing that we have done in this entire rebuild, and ensures our system gets back toward being the best system in football- which is the environment that tends to get the best results out of draftee's. Its now hopefully going to be less about needing to nail that player who will make it no matter what because they are just gun players with high footy iq, as opposed to being able to turn out a future best 22 player from anywhere in the draft because being here actually makes people better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Back