Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe he's good?
Maybe he's no good, An undistinguished playing career with the Dockers. "Only" 1 year as an assistant at Carlton.
Coached at East Perth when they were aligned with the Eagles, was he successful there? Same goes for Jayme Graham.
Coached the forward line at West Coast, cant see how he can be given any credit for the careers of Josh Kennedy
Jack Darling & Jamie Cripps. If anything they taught him.

Maybe he's no good, An undistinguished playing career with the Dockers. "Only" 1 year as an assistant at Carlton.
Coached at East Perth when they were aligned with the Eagles, was he successful there? Same goes for Jayme Graham.
Coached the forward line at West Coast, cant see how he can be given any credit for the careers of Josh Kennedy
Jack Darling & Jamie Cripps. If anything they taught him.

Webster was a development coach at Carlton for three years, including running their VFL team. During that time, the Northern Bullants came 9th, 11th and 14th, so not super impressive. To be fair though, they've been consistently pretty shit since. East Perth came 6th and 5th during Webster's time. Again, not super impressive, but consistent with their subsequent performances.

My guess is that Webster is competent without being spectacular... given that development coaches probably don't earn a lot of coin, getting really great ones is probably a challenge. Anyone that's halfway decent, is going to get promoted quickly.

Webster was a development coach at Carlton for three years, including running their VFL team. During that time, the Northern Bullants came 9th, 11th and 14th, so not super impressive. To be fair though, they've been consistently pretty shit since. East Perth came 6th and 5th during Webster's time. Again, not super impressive, but consistent with their subsequent performances.

My guess is that Webster is competent without being spectacular... given that development coaches probably don't earn a lot of coin, getting really great ones is probably a challenge. Anyone that's halfway decent, is going to get promoted quickly.
Get rid of him, he represents no value. Carlton would have kept him if he was any good.
We really need to develop a top team of assistants behind McQualter. Webster doesn't fit the bill.

Get rid of him, he represents no value. Carlton would have kept him if he was any good.
We really need to develop a top team of assistants behind McQualter. Webster doesn't fit the bill.
Guessing Woosha was a shit coach also, considering Carlton 'let' him go?

Also assumes Carlton are a better run outfit than us.

During the time Webster was there, they weren't. He arrived shortly after they had sacked Ratten and appointed Malthouse. Then Mick was sacked after he actually did worse than Ratten and John Barker was the interim coach. Mick had been pretty critical of the way the club was run. Webster left when David Teague was appointed.

The place was a complete shitshow. Pretty harsh on Webster for judging him on his tenure there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve never been a big fan of Webster and have thought he should’ve been moved on as far as back as 2021, maybe earlier

Now with that said, it’s terribly hard to judge the impact of an assistant coach from outside the club so he may well be better than I, and others believe

From comments in the press by Pyke, it sounded like McQualter was going to be given a fairly lengthy leg rope when deciding on his coaching panel. So we have to assume McQualter after speaking with Webster was happy to retain him

The other thing is assistants are notoriously underpaid so it’s likely Webster is on relatively modest money. He’s already here so we don’t have to move him cross country. We’re already in the market for one other coach to replace Knights who might have to be relocated and paid at a level to justify moving from interstate if required. Finding two might be difficult

Remember also we’ve just appointed Worsfold in a new position as Head of Football and are still searching for a Head of Development. Money that will come out of the soft cap so there might not be much wriggle room given we also have the Simpson payout to contend with

So Webster survives

Shame about Drew Petrie leaving us after 8 years. Has been terrific for the club. Is he going back to Norfs by any chance
?

Shame about Drew Petrie leaving us after 8 years. Has been terrific for the club. Is he going back to Norfs by any chance
?
Young family very well settled in Perth. Would be surprised if The Dish leaves WA. Really hope it was a decision made by Drew and not by the club.

The only thing I know about Webster is I had an ex girlfriend that used to dog sit for him and his partner on occasion. They lived in this shoebox of an apartment in Trigg and I had maybe two conversations with him. He seemed decent enough.

If his choice of furry companion was a benchmark though, he’d fail. Both dopey af. If he can’t train his animals he can’t coach an elite football team /s

I’ve never been a big fan of Webster and have thought he should’ve been moved on as far as back as 2021, maybe earlier

Now with that said, it’s terribly hard to judge the impact of an assistant coach from outside the club so he may well be better than I, and others believe

From comments in the press by Pyke, it sounded like McQualter was going to be given a fairly lengthy leg rope when deciding on his coaching panel. So we have to assume McQualter after speaking with Webster was happy to retain him

The other thing is assistants are notoriously underpaid so it’s likely Webster is on relatively modest money. He’s already here so we don’t have to move him cross country. We’re already in the market for one other coach to replace Knights who might have to be relocated and paid at a level to justify moving from interstate if required. Finding two might be difficult

Remember also we’ve just appointed Worsfold in a new position as Head of Football and are still searching for a Head of Development. Money that will come out of the soft cap so there might not be much wriggle room given we also have the Simpson payout to contend with

So Webster survives
Money should not be an impediment to getting the best available assistants to work with McQualter.
If we exceed the soft salary cap we cop a penalty, so what. We've supposedly got $25m in the bank.
Spend the money on quality assistants to fast track our rebuild. Don't give anyone a job on the basis that they are cheap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Back