Review Cats drown Hawks by 36 points in Tommas 350

Remove this Banner Ad

Normal enough for a young ruck. Not all of them come out like Brodie Grundy. 105kg is a lot to haul around
Fo’ sure.

Where gonna have to game plan around it a bit though, at least for this season. We saw Dekoning start the 2nd quarter in ruck, and Blicavs played long stretches. Not unexpected but a limitation. I think if it was dry Vonway might have been subbed.

Normal enough for a young ruck. Not all of them come out like Brodie Grundy. 105kg is a lot to haul around
Yeah most rucks aren't ready to solo ruck until they are 23-24.
Even freaks like Nic Nat had to have a senior ruck in Cox to help manage his minutes.
Maxy Gawn took ages to be ready until he decided to destroy us that day down at Geelong.

Can we just pump the brakes on Conway a little?

I thought he played well for a second-game ruckman, but let's keep it in perspective - he kept Meek honest and had a few good moments, but Meek did win the ruck battle overall... and he's Lloyd Meek, not Sean Darcy, Max Gawn, Tim English or Jarrod Witts.

For my mind, he did enough to keep his spot, and has a really good set of hands, but there's a fair way to go as well.

This board does this all the time - wanting a much-hyped young player to succeed so badly that an ok performance must be talked up as excellent. He was decent, and that's more than enough at this early stage in his career.

I thought Conway got the better of Meek but it was relatively even. A lot of that first quarter was off the back of good Rick work and he kicked clutch goal.

Bruhn, Atkins, blicavs, etc. as your best midfielders seems a little weak and compared to some other teams it is. But bring in danger and Guthrie then having them supplementing the big boys then all of a sudden that's looking competitive. With our forward line you just need to break even at worst.
We might not have a superstar in there anymore that can get 40+ but they all play a role which can't be said for all other teams. Give me a bloke like Atkins who tries his guts out and puts on a ton of pressure then some of these dudes on other teams that rack up numbers but don't impact winning.

I think the biggest difference between last year and this year has been the backline has really tightened up.

We leaked too many goals last year, and we have addressed that.

Jack Henry is playing sensational football and SDK is trending in right direction. Plus Kolo is back to 22 form.
Jack Henry playing sensational football? Give me a break, he was owned on multiple occasions leading to opposition goals and totally lost track of the incoming ball more than once. He did not have a good game.

Jack Henry is the player that divided on today’s performance. I thought he was fantastic.

I got to 18 but I wasn’t sure who was next to kingy. Several on three, Gaz two, and Selwood 4 but I definitely could be wrong.
1711972679838.jpeg

I went 1,1,3,3,2,3,2,4

Jack Henry playing sensational football? Give me a break, he was owned on multiple occasions leading to opposition goals and totally lost track of the incoming ball more than once. He did not have a good game.
Reckon it was a bit of a strange game for Jack, he did some great things today that saved goals but also made a couple mistakes and got outbodied in a couple contests that led to some goals too. Think he was for sure a net positive. Just great seeing him back out there injury free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon it was a bit of a strange game for Jack, he did some great things today that saved goals but also made a couple mistakes and got outbodied in a couple contests that led to some goals too. Think he was for sure a net positive. Just great seeing him back out there injury free.

Chol gave Jack a bath in the second quarter. Not sure I’d be as forgiving as to say he was a net positive but he’s otherwise had a good start to the season and has credit in the bank.

Conway great game for a young ruck and will be our number 1 ruck starting from next year. For the rest of this year it is all about managing him and Stanley so we get the best out of both of them.

Mullin did some things that just made me go ok he will be a player we just need to get him to 50 games.

Clark best game he has played for us.

Bruhn was immense in the first 1/4 faded a little as the game went on but he is really building into a nice mid by the end of this year or next i expect him to be close to our best mid.

Bowes great effect coming on as the sub. Please give him a full game as a mid next week. We need to start seeing if his body will hold up against the rigors of a a full time AFL mid career or will he be a part time mid with stints on the wing and in defence.

Parffit was fantastic again and has me thinking if everyone is available it will be between him, Atkins and Clark for that role and atm he is ahead.

OH great game i was mostly impressed by his continued improvement in his defensive game.

Stengle finally starting to look like his 2022 version.

And of course the man of the moment Hawkins i can not and will never be able to say enough great things about Hawkins who in my mind has been our most important player for well over a decade. Selwood was our heart but Tommy has always been our most important player imo and will be by far the hardest to replace.

I think that will do for now as i am not going to go through every player.

We might not have a superstar in there anymore that can get 40+ but they all play a role which can't be said for all other teams. Give me a bloke like Atkins who tries his guts out and puts on a ton of pressure then some of these dudes on other teams that rack up numbers but don't impact winning.

I’m not popping the Champagne cork just yet. We’ve played some pretty bad midfields and lost clearance/inside 50 counts. It could get ugly against a a better midfield but fingers crossed we can hold our own and maybe even win some of them when Guthrie/Danger are back.

* off Morris you w***er, why do you have to comment!! Fancy doing that to a bloke who just played 350. Anything for negative press for Geelong and Hawk, if anything maybe you should comment on Ginnipoos diving every opportunity to get a free.

What's the purpose of having no phones for the players? It's not as though Hawkins is going to search up how to kick more goals on its web browser

Noticed a Hawks player gave the "shoosh" symbol in the 2nd quarter - when he'd kicked a goal to get them back within 30 points.

Cracked up laughing though when a Hawks player was getting into Zach Guthrie, and Oisin Mullin wandered over and bumped him and sent him sprawling.
This was my highlight of the game.

Nick Watson is my new least favourite player, has such a mouth on him for a kid with 0 wins and 2 goals 7 from 12 shots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats drown Hawks by 36 points in Tommas 350

Remove this Banner Ad

Back