Changes for round 17 v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want to be known as a Murphy fan, in fact I think this might be the first time I have ever wanted him in the team.

But surely a genuine full forward, who has kicked 50 goals this season in the WAFL, would be a better option than a 30 year old defender who has kicked 25 career goals, a rookie listed key defender or a midsized player who has found success playing through the midfield and across half back.

It might not work, and Murphy may not step it up like he has to. But he does deserve a chance, especially considering our current forward structure.

Tarrant must return,

Johnson played a loose role across half back, he must return forward against the dogs. In the second half we lacked a forward structure. I feel Pav will be required in the midfield so Johnson and Keplar/Sandi will have to play forward with hasleby/crowley and ballantyne.

The dogs have the exact forward line to cause us problems as we dont have much speed down back, however we must play them like we played the blues, force them wide and make them kick from the angles. We must push numbers back and into the corridor. They will be patient and chip the ball around with their good footskills.

With numbers back we should be able to break into space and use the precise skills of pavlich, hill, mundy, johnson, duffield and hayden to sythe into an open forward line.

I hope Harvey has been doing his homework.

Also: No team has ever won the week after playing in Darwin, we will see how we can use this to our advantage.

Nup...not true...we beat Adelaide in 2006 after a 7 day break from playing in Darwin...the other times I think we have had a the weeks break due to the bye. We have an 8 day break this time. 1 day more than you.

SNOS to FF to shut down Lake

IN:
Taz
Grover

OUT:
PAV(inj/rest)
Roberton

RUCK: Sandilands/Crowley/Palmer
FOR: Ballantyne/SNOS/Bradley
HFOR: Morabito/Johnson/Hase
CEN: Hill/Mundy/Duffman
HBCK: Hayden/McPharlin/Ibbo
BCK: Broughton/Taz/Grover

BENCH: DeBoer/Fyfe/McPhee/VanBerlo

i'll bet anything Johnson won't be dropped - (he's already had a rest!)

Grover is very verasitile and can play small so if he's right he will be in. I hope snos stay's as he adds a lot of versatility as well

lol at anyone suggesting we drop crowley, who has been sensational this year or palmer, who is our best mid after barlow and mundy. palmer two weeks ago got 31 touches and had an efficiency rate of 89%.

if anything we get rid of that bum michael johnson. i do think we need to look at getting schammer into the side. not sure who we would drop, i think JVB might be on the chopping block though

I don't want to be known as a Murphy fan, in fact I think this might be the first time I have ever wanted him in the team.

But surely a genuine full forward, who has kicked 50 goals this season in the WAFL, would be a better option than a 30 year old defender who has kicked 25 career goals, a rookie listed key defender or a midsized player who has found success playing through the midfield and across half back.

It might not work, and Murphy may not step it up like he has to. But he does deserve a chance, especially considering our current forward structure.

I see where you are coming from Chris but Murphy being the unaccountable footballer that he is would be MURDERED by Lake. Even if he gets 2 or 3 goals that would be totally offset by the drive and momentum that Lake would give out of the backline to an excellent midfield.

We need a VERY defensive minded Key forward who can do Damage. Pav need to go to FF and pick his game up! While he is at it he needs to ensure that Lake has a very modest return for the night. It would be great to have a win against a player like Lake who is in form.

We are going to get pumped by their superior midfield unless we have a few things go our way.

1) Darwin game
2) Few key midfield injuries early on (get DeBoer to suspend himself by going head high on Cooney and concussing him)
3) Put Crowley on griffin.
4) Ibbotson on umpires, the bulldogs extra player, and it's about as much as Ibbotson can handle.

I hope we do something different, like go out with a certain gameplan designed to rough up their midfield.

We are going to get pumped by their superior midfield unless we have a few things go our way.

1) Darwin game
2) Few key midfield injuries early on (get DeBoer to suspend himself by going head high on Cooney and concussing him)
3) Put Crowley on griffin.
4) Ibbotson on umpires, the bulldogs extra player, and it's about as much as Ibbotson can handle.

I hope we do something different, like go out with a certain gameplan designed to rough up their midfield.

Memories, i have agreed with a lot of what you have said today, but i think your underselling our chances of winning this match. we will need to be at our best no doubt, but if sandilands can dominate, and pavlich/hill/mundy/palmer can exert their influence, i think we are more than a chance

KPR the bulldogs best area on the ground is the midfield. Whereas it's our worst, especially with Barlow missing. Doesn't take einstein to calculate TOP 3 midfield vs ours. Even Melbourne embarrassed our midfield on Sunday. Thankfully our backs and forwards made up for it, but Melbourne's midfield isn't in the league of the Western Bulldogs.

Expect to see a lot of wide open dogs midfielders kicking into goal/f50. That is when they kick big scores against the weaker midfield sides. This is why we 100% need a plan to stop them, in some way. And since I like violence I go with the roughing up idea.

i def think we need to Change something up
I dont mind the roughing players up a bit
crowley used to do it consitently but now barely ever gets into anybody
with thier rather smallish forward line, I would prob predict that harvs will throw mcpharlin forward
but what a match up would mcpharlin v lake be
that leaves deboer to tag higgins.
i agree with chris, we seem to have abosultly no forward leading or structure
i dont think murphy is the answer but i do agree since pav looks injured he should play consitently forward, cause the long bomb was def not working yesterday.
did anyone notice the forward line for the start of the 4th?
hill/fyfe/hase/deboer/balla
i no fyfe and hase can take a mark but i mean, thats alot of smalls

need something a bit different i reckon.

in taz
out rob

Tarrant must return,

Johnson played a loose role across half back, he must return forward against the dogs. In the second half we lacked a forward structure. I feel Pav will be required in the midfield so Johnson and Keplar/Sandi will have to play forward with hasleby/crowley and ballantyne.

The dogs have the exact forward line to cause us problems as we dont have much speed down back, however we must play them like we played the blues, force them wide and make them kick from the angles. We must push numbers back and into the corridor. They will be patient and chip the ball around with their good footskills.

With numbers back we should be able to break into space and use the precise skills of pavlich, hill, mundy, johnson, duffield and hayden to sythe into an open forward line.

I hope Harvey has been doing his homework.

Also: No team has ever won the week after playing in Darwin, we will see how we can use this to our advantage.

The Bulldogs did it in 2006 against Adelaide at the G - ended up winning by 5 goals.
Disappointed that our top 4 spot comes down to you guys, would rather have pushed collingwood or the Saints out of top 4, if we win mind you.

I dont understand why anyone would consider dropping Silvagni?

Nor do I.

IMO:
Tarrant on Hall (Tarrant coming in for Roberton)
Silvagni on Murphy
McPharlin to play on a lesser player and add drive out of our backline.
Johnson goes forward.
McPhee on Lake in the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nor do I.

IMO:
Silvagni on Murphy
Johnson goes forward.

yeah agree with all of this except johnson. would have him back at perth

Nor do I.

IMO:
Silvagni on Murphy
Johnson goes forward.

Not a bad idea. Whatever we do, we cannot let Lake run free in our forward line, he loves to leave his man to help out, whoever is on him must make him accountable and hurt him.

Something needs to be done to counter Gilbee, Higgins, Cooney, Griffen, Harbrow, Gia, Murphy, Johnson, etc (with Boyd and Cross doing the dirty work) tearing us a new one. If that means McPhee, Crowley, DeBoer going for a bit of rough stuff then so be it ... not sure it would really work though. Could be worth watching if Hall is back, he might come charging out of the square for a bit of extra entertainment.

We need fresh legs.

Suban, Schammer and Pearce can provide 4 quarters of run. We need it and we need to give some players some rest.

Looking at the Bulldogs schedule, I think this game is over-hyped in terms of being crucial to our top 4 chances. They have some tough games coming up after us. While we need to win it for a lot of reasons, maybe a good time to rest some legs.

It's not Lake is the only defender capable of getting 20+ disposals. Harbrow, Hargrave, Gilbee and Williams are just as dangerous and get more than just cheap touches.

If someone was to play a defensive forward role on Lake, then the Bulldogs could easily just tell Lake to sit on Pavlich/Bradley/Sandilands and not allow them any one on ones. He'd just crowd our forward line and not allow any room for the other forwards. Because it would definitely be the defensive Fremantle forward following Lake, not the other way around.

Hurting the Bulldogs on the scoreboard is more important in my opinion. McPharlin forward for this week (and this week only) would be one option, and I've already mentioned the other option.

I was looking for statistics earlier today, and Silvagni is ranked equal 16th in the whole competition for average 1%ers per game. Tarrant is up there as well. Naturally such a thing is skewed towards key defenders and the list isn't full of superstars ... but still, it shows that Silvagni does a good team-orientated job. I wouldn't be dropping him.

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/player_rankings?team_id=0&yr=2010&sp=SE&rt=LA&fc=E9

Been a while (rd 3 with Ablett) since we've been obsessed on how to close down just one player (though there'll be a bit of that come Franklin/Hawks), but Lake demands respect.

Just wondering, are there any lessons from the Bulldogs losses to Collingwood, Lions, Faints, Bombers and Hawks that we use?

I was looking for statistics earlier today, and Silvagni is ranked equal 16th in the whole competition for average 1%ers per game. Tarrant is up there as well. Naturally such a thing is skewed towards key defenders and the list isn't full of superstars ... but still, it shows that Silvagni does a good team-orientated job. I wouldn't be dropping him.

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/player_rankings?team_id=0&yr=2010&sp=SE&rt=LA&fc=E9

wow interesting stat. that really speaks volumes for me. silvagni is definetly worthy of his spot in our side.

See youve given up on the Headland bashing and moved onto Johnson,Des will be so relieved youve found a new victim:D

if you look back through my posts in the last couple of years. i have been critical of three players more than any others. Headland, Medhurst (of how performed and sooked when at fremantle) and johnson. johnsons drug conviction for me has tipped me over the edge with him, as i dont think he has performed consistently well since his breakout year in 2006. i still think des has been completely underwhelming, although part of that has been due to injury.

everyone has there players who annoy them, some people dont rate crowley, ive never understood that. thats the good thing about democracy ;)

Been a while (rd 3 with Ablett) since we've been obsessed on how to close down just one player (though there'll be a bit of that come Franklin/Hawks), but Lake demands respect.

Just wondering, are there any lessons from the Bulldogs losses to Collingwood, Lions, Faints, Bombers and Hawks that we use?

Run, Run, Run and then don't bomb it to where Lake is when going forward.

[/B]

The Bulldogs did it in 2006 against Adelaide at the G - ended up winning by 5 goals.
Disappointed that our top 4 spot comes down to you guys, would rather have pushed collingwood or the Saints out of top 4, if we win mind you.
Dogs R Barking, do you think Hall will play this week? Any other injuries coming out of the Darwin game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for round 17 v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back