Changes for round 17 v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Nuh, Will seems to be their first choice. Roughead hasn't been given a birth even while Minson has been out.

I actually don't fear Hall as much as some on here. He's very inconsistant and IMO, overrated. Taz or McPharlin would beat him.

What are you on about?
Will got dropped for a few weeks earlier in the season for Roughead.

Roughy was a late withdrawal last week and Everitt took his spot in the side.

One of my best mates is a avid Dogs fan and i was having a chat to him this morning - generally just talking match-ups etc.

We thought it'd go a bit like this:
Gilbee - Crowley
Murphy - DeBoer
Griffen - Van Berlo
Hall - Tazz
Johnson - Broughton

Picken - Hill
Harbrow - Ballas
Morris - Pav
Wood/Moles - Duffield

Also suggested Silva going forward to play defensively on Lake - sounds like a good idea and hasn't been done to Lake before so certainly has some merit.

What are you on about?
Will got dropped for a few weeks earlier in the season for Roughead.

Roughy was a late withdrawal last week and Everitt took his spot in the side.

When was the last time Roughead played hotshot? You better call your best mate again...:rolleyes:

Minson and Hudson have been the preference since then if they're available and even when Will wasn't available Roughead didn't get a birth. Do you understand?

I know Minson got dropped earlier in the season but as we're playing them this week, what happened "earlier in the season" is a bit irrellevent.

Interesting that Tarrant hasn't played for weeks and yet has only just come in for his first mention on the injury list.

Its almost impossible to work out who to target ... Cooney, Gilbee, Lake, Harbrow, Griffen, Higgins could all be worthy of tagging. Not to mention Murphy, Gia, Johnson, Aker (if he plays). Even Boyd, he is their engine room ala Hayes and Judd ... would not be surprised to see McPhee go to Boyd.

When was the last time Roughead played hotshot? You better call your best mate again...:rolleyes:

Minson and Hudson have been the preference since then if they're available and even when Will wasn't available Roughead didn't get a birth. Do you understand?

I know Minson got dropped earlier in the season but as we're playing them this week, what happened "earlier in the season" is a bit irrellevent.

Round 15 he played superstar.
Was also selected last week v Port but was a late withdrawal with illness/injury. (don't recall which)

The injury list is up;

Injury List as at 20 July 2010

Michael Barlow - leg: season
Antoni Grover - hamstring: test
Des Headland - knee: test
Chris Mayne - ankle: test
Chris Tarrant - heel: test

Apart from the obvious causality, that's about as good as you could hope for in the run home. :thumbsu:
Mayne didnt train Mon and Tarrant ran laps and shuttles,maybe Harves is playing ducks and drakes with the injury list

Mayne didnt train Mon and Tarrant ran laps and shuttles,maybe Harves is playing ducks and drakes with the injury list

Speaking to one of the physio's over the fence pre-game at Docklands, he told me that for the lower-leg/ankle, those guys spend most of the early part of the week off their feet in the pool, or indoors on the bikes/steppers.

Maybe that explains Taz last week and Mayne this week? Hopefully. :thumbsu:

(I was actually asking about Taz, but he wouldn't tell me specifically - maybe it was you Salim? ;)).

Banana, for what it's worth I think that Broughton is the player most capable of bolstering our mid-field. With Barlow gone we need a high possession mid-fielder. It could be Schammer of course but Broughton looks to be a far more creative player with good disposal skills on both sides of the body. May not have the fitness base just yet after missing so many games though.

i reckon too. he's got the smarts, skills and instincts to do really well. schammer just doesn't have the knack. he can bust a gut running all day but lacks vision. unfortunately for byron, he's an above average wafl player, but below average afl player.

Not a bad idea. Whatever we do, we cannot let Lake run free in our forward line, he loves to leave his man to help out, whoever is on him must make him accountable and hurt him.

Let's all get one thing clear, any one fwd has very little to do with keeping a player like Lake quiet. Of course they need to be a good lead, mark and shot on goal, but the only way you keep Lake's influence to a minimum is to deliver the ball quickly especially on the rebound (to minimise the impact of an organised defensive setup etc.), to deliver it accurately, and to deliver it to the right player. i.e. its more about what happens up the ground combined with the overall fwd structure.

Add to that the, again, total fwd line pressure that makes it difficult for defenders to organise their way out of their 50 to an attacking mode (something the Doggies are supremely good at) and that is how you beat a star defender like Lake and the doggies overall for that matter.

Thus, any ins need to make the TEAM better, simply picking a particular fwd to play on Lake isn't going to achieve much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From this;

Fremantle will be without Alex Silvagni this week, with the first-year defender battling a groin injury, while tagger Ryan Crowley has swelling on his knee and is rated a 50-50 chance by the coach.

Bugger. JvB, DeBoer and/or McPhee for tag jobs then?

Disappointing for sos who has been a revelation down back this season. Doesnt affect us too much though considering Grover comes in. Also considering the Bulldogs only have Hall as their main tall forward who McPharlin can take.

We need to add more run through the middle I think as this is the Bulldogs strength and we need to be able to go with the likes of Cooney, Griffen, Higgins, Eagleton etc.

Outs: Sos, Crowley.
Ins: Grover, Suban/Pearce.

Crowley looks to have been really struggling to run for the last few weeks. He's been going to ground more often than Peake as a compensatory mechanism for his lack of speed. Added to that his ball handling and disposal are abysmal. Good time to give him a break.
Wouldn't mind seeing a good ball user like Walters as a replacement. Grover or Tarrant for Silvagni.

Dropping Roberton after his best game would be a big mistake, he seems to be getting more confident with his disposal while his tackling was solid as always. But it could potentially happen if Grover and Tarrant both return.

If I were in charge, I would give Roberton a big role this week. Would probably be the best athlete in the 22 at the moment, and that running power will be important against the Bulldogs. I'd like to see him get a chance against someone like Griffen, Murphy or Gilbee.

Grover for Silvagni seems to be a given, while I wouldn't play Tarrant if he weren't absolutely 100%. And if Crowley were to miss, I would much rather see someone like Crichton or Walters rather than Pearce or Suban.

Dropping Roberton after his best game would be a big mistake, he seems to be getting more confident with his disposal while his tackling was solid as always. But it could potentially happen if Grover and Tarrant both return.

If I were in charge, I would give Roberton a big role this week. Would probably be the best athlete in the 22 at the moment, and that running power will be important against the Bulldogs. I'd like to see him get a chance against someone like Griffen, Murphy or Gilbee.

Grover for Silvagni seems to be a given, while I wouldn't play Tarrant if he weren't absolutely 100%. And if Crowley were to miss, I would much rather see someone like Crichton or Walters rather than Pearce or Suban.

Really? Better than Hilly, Mcpharlin, Morabito and the Pav? don't think so. Would love to see Walters get a go this week, big fan of his, too many poor ball users in the side atm.

Really? Better than Hilly, Mcpharlin, Morabito and the Pav? don't think so. Would love to see Walters get a go this week, big fan of his, too many poor ball users in the side atm.

Based on his time trials earlier this year he was only behind Ibbo. But given the affects of the shoulder injury Ibbo sustained against the Bombers it's fair to assume that Robbo has overtaken him.

Also, iirc someone posted not so long ago that Robbo had set a new running record for the club.

He may not be the best in the 22 but he deserves to keep his spot imo.
Robocop i'm talking about.
In: Tarrant, Grover
Out: Snos, Creepy

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for round 17 v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back