HB Ibbotson McPharlin Hayden
Moles Johnson Murphy

FB Broughton Tarrant? Duffield
Giansiracusa Hall? Higgins

R Sandilands Palmer McPhee
Hudson Cooney Cross

I/C Crowley, Van Berlo, Silvagni, Roberton?, Suban, Bollenhagen, Schammer

Wood, Ward, Eagleton, Everitt, Grant, Roughead, Hooper, Jones, Moles, Akermanis

(Plenty of dogs names as i was reading that they aren't taking anyone in who hasn't fully recovered 100% from the game against Port Adelaide)

Forward structure was non existent for most of the 2nd half against Melbourne. In our AB (After Barlow) games Pav is having to spend a lot of time in the middle and we needed a strong presence up forward which Bradley didn't give us. He missed shots on goal I know Johnson would of got.

The issue of Johnson and Bradley in the same team has to come up again, particularly against a great running side like the dogs. I think we need to lose a tall and bring in a running player.

Out: Roberton (loved his game but I think played with a jab to the ankle), needs to avoid damaging it further, Bradley.

In: Tarrant, Walters (prefer to give him a chance) or Suban.

MJ to play forward/ruck swapping with Sandi and swinging McPharlin and SNOS through there as well.

how do you folks reckon broughton will go in the middle? i know he's a defender, but he seems to have the smarts and grit to be a digger. i'd give him a 15 minute spell against the dogs.

Woops, i missed johno i think...
could slide up forward as defenders should be coming back in. question mark over roberton, tarrant, bradley and silvagni (not through performance for silvagni).

And i think Bollenhagen could be in the mix. he is the leading goal kicker for perth and has missed 5 games. Is fair accurate, 18 goals to 5 behinds for the season. and from the performance on the weekend i would say we need a bit of accuracy.

What people don't recognise about johnson is he can dictate the play and create something where other people couldn't. gives that x-factor. Bradley looked sore and i think he may also had a jab along with roberton. goodluck to the selectors though.

how do you folks reckon broughton will go in the middle? i know he's a defender, but he seems to have the smarts and grit to be a digger. i'd give him a 15 minute spell against the dogs.

He was barely fit enough to play in the BP on the weekend.

Just finished listening to Harvs on 6PR, interesting comment that he sees 3-4 changes per week from hereonin.

Took that as being regardless of injury and reflective of the need to rest players in the lead-up to the finals.

With that in mind I think it's likely that those who have recently come back, or on the cusp - (MJ, Broughton, Avatar, Ibbo, Palmer, McPharlin, Taz, Chopper), or only have a few games under their belts (i.e. Roberton), will form the core of the playing group in this period in order to get back up to match speed/fitness.

The remainder to be rotated - hopefully that includes Pav, Mundy, Sandi and Hill.

Just finished listening to Harvs on 6PR, interesting comment that he sees 3-4 changes per week from hereonin.

Took that as being regardless of injury and reflective of the need to rest players in the lead-up to the finals.

With that in mind I think it's likely that those who have recently come back, or on the cusp - (MJ, Broughton, Avatar, Ibbo, Palmer, McPharlin, Taz, Chopper), or only have a few games under their belts (i.e. Roberton), will form the core of the playing group in this period in order to get back up to match speed/fitness.

The remainder to be rotated - hopefully that includes Pav, Mundy, Sandi and Hill.
I agree that Pav needs a rest since he is clearly carrying something and that Hill could use a week off before finals just because he is a matchwinner but I don't think we can afford to lose Sandi or Mundy.

Dogs R Barking, do you think Hall will play this week? Any other injuries coming out of the Darwin game?

[/b]

Nup...not true...we beat Adelaide in 2006 after a 7 day break from playing in Darwin...the other times I think we have had a the weeks break due to the bye. We have an 8 day break this time. 1 day more than you.

I think the win might have been after a mid season break.

I heard no team has one after playing in Darwin - ie winner or loser of the darwin game.
No guarantees, but i hope we can put early pressure on and then play at four quarters. We can't afford them to get a 6 goal start early in the game. They might no how to hang onto that sort of a lead...

Banana, for what it's worth I think that Broughton is the player most capable of bolstering our mid-field. With Barlow gone we need a high possession mid-fielder. It could be Schammer of course but Broughton looks to be a far more creative player with good disposal skills on both sides of the body. May not have the fitness base just yet after missing so many games though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh no scary.
If anything they will bring in young Roughead - hes a much better prospect for them then Will.

Nuh, Will seems to be their first choice. Roughead hasn't been given a birth even while Minson has been out.

I actually don't fear Hall as much as some on here. He's very inconsistant and IMO, overrated. Taz or McPharlin would beat him.

can ballantyne play on lake? he certainly has the leg speed i would think, and the defensive pressure. would be able to hurt the dogs on the turnover as well. frees up fyfe and one of (tarrant/macpharlin/silvagni) to be the lead up forwards.

I dont understand the concept of playing someone on a key defender, lake will surely pick up a key forward in pavlich or kepler. So does ballantyne or the assigned tagger follow the pair and disadvantage your side given there is two players one opposition player?, how exactly does this work?

I dont understand why anyone would consider dropping Silvagni?

I was looking for statistics earlier today, and Silvagni is ranked equal 16th in the whole competition for average 1%ers per game. Tarrant is up there as well. Naturally such a thing is skewed towards key defenders and the list isn't full of superstars ... but still, it shows that Silvagni does a good team-orientated job. I wouldn't be dropping him.

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/player_rankings?team_id=0&yr=2010&sp=SE&rt=LA&fc=E9

Silvagni won't be dropped, but he might be rested. It has nothing to do with how well he is playing. Harves has already been on record saying that player management will be a big issue from here on in, especially for the younger players.

I dont understand the concept of playing someone on a key defender, lake will surely pick up a key forward in pavlich or kepler. So does ballantyne or the assigned tagger follow the pair and disadvantage your side given there is two players one opposition player?, how exactly does this work?

we could play kepler on the wing (he seems to play more consistently there), pavlich deep (i don't think they'll want lake 1 on 1 with the pav in the forward 50 :) ) so when lake is floating around, racking up those posessions coming out of defence, frodo could harrass him. if lake does end up playing deep, well it will affect the quality of the rebounds they get (need to watch gilbee et al, as well)

Part of the answer is that Lake is unlikely to follow Pav into the midfield. With Barlow's loss Pav will spend a greater proportion of TOG there.

If Lake does insist on going to Kep or MJ, then that'll be a win for us as both will willingly sacrifice their game to drag Lake away from the corridor.

The injury list is up;

Injury List as at 20 July 2010

Michael Barlow - leg: season
Antoni Grover - hamstring: test
Des Headland - knee: test
Chris Mayne - ankle: test
Chris Tarrant - heel: test

Apart from the obvious causality, that's about as good as you could hope for in the run home. :thumbsu:

What about playing McPhee at FF. He can mark (well some times) and would have the ability to shut down Lake's rebound.
quote]

This is not a bad option. Lake is a major key to their whole game plan. McPhee has been good overhead, he keeps his feet, and is good man on man. It could be a good tactic to have McPhee take Lake out of the game.

The other players to watch are Boyd, Gilbee, Giran, Cooney, Cross, Murphy and ....Aker

Boyd needs a tagger. Probably Crowley. Murphy needs a tight player - he is damaging. Roberton could be an option here as they are similar in height etc.
Cooney will need attention of some kind.
Aker will come out firing if selected. Maybe De Boar.
Gilbee and Gira are like Broughton and Duffield for us. Who ever is on them will need to be accountable.

So I think we need to be more defensive than attacking in this one otherwise we will play right in to their hands. It will come down to turnovers and pressure. Schammer unfortunately hits the mark as an attacking mid but will cost us in turnovers.

Johnson showed signs of improvement and confidence. WOuld definately persist, have the feeling he is close to a good game.

Selection nightmare IMO.

The injury list is up;

Injury List as at 20 July 2010

Michael Barlow - leg: season
Antoni Grover - hamstring: test
Des Headland - knee: test
Chris Mayne - ankle: test
Chris Tarrant - heel: test

Apart from the obvious causality, that's about as good as you could hope for in the run home. :thumbsu:
Agreed, although Barlow's injury still makes me sad.

Roger: Third quarter he did more pointing and yelling for someone else to pick up a man who ran past him in the zone to get the ball thatn anything.

He is sailing close to the wind, and if Tarrant comes back in, I'd have is name on the extended interchange.
Prefer Duffield and Broughton as small backs

Agree Lach. Roger has been a few legs short of a spider this year a few times now....

I thought we looked better with Johnno playing more up forward and rotating through the ruck then where he has been in the past few weeks. I felt he provided an OK target and straightened us up slightly. However I have NOT been impressed with his out put since returning from his suspension. Would be good to see Pav play a more leading forward role with Balla's at his feet and Johnno leading in the other pocket. Pav looks knackered.... and i think the heavy workload he is under is resulting in his lower than expected performances. One week soley in the forward 50m would surely help. BUT we need his bigger body around the stoppages espicially in the absence of Barlow.

Ins : TAZ
Outs : ROBBO (inj)

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for round 17 v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back