tigris72

Senior List
Nov 18, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, Baltimore Ravens
With Sando saying we take nothing out of the game against the Cats, the focus quickly goes to the next game. We have an 8 day break to sort out any niggles and prepare four the Bombers.

Assuming Tippo will be rested again and all is good with MRP, I see Sauce in for McKernan and would like to see Lyons in for Symes.

Thoughts?

I agree think Tippett will stay out again OR play in SANFL for some touch :eek:

Out: McKernan, L.Thompson, Symes

In: Jacobs, Shaw, and Lyons
With Lyons I think the club will want to get games into him as insurance leading up to finals

Interesting comment from Sando regarding the Hawkins matchup ....that we failed to get over to lend Talia/Rutten support as 3rd man up .......think that's a swipe at L.Thompson??

Interesting comment from Sando regarding the Hawkins matchup ....that we failed to get over to lend Talia/Rutten support as 3rd man up .......think that's a swipe at L.Thompson??

I think so. LT looked a bit out of place and I agree will be replaced by Shaw. I forgot about Shaw probably being available.

Difficult to say with ?'s over Jacobs, Tippett and then a couple of the Bombers players as well like Cranmeri potentially effecting selection. One thing that I think is vitally important is that we make Fletcher accountable and that means playing a genuine 3 tall forward line, otherwise he will be allowed to zone off and just let those go-go gadget arms destroy us. Ensure that he is forced to go one on one and I think we'll have little problem with Essendon.

The other worry is that Essendon run with 2 genuine ruckman and I feel that if Jenkins is forced to 2nd ruck we may be exposed. As such, unless Tippett returns, I'd be looking to give McKernan another run to give Jacobs adequate back up and maybe even allow him to spend more time up forward resting. We need to protect Jacobs a little bit and the best way to do this is provide him with a decent back up.

At this stage Essendon don't exactly have a tall forward line, but the question is whether Cranmeri and Hurley will return, Hird apparently expects them to.

So I'd be running with:
B: Lynch - Rutten - Johncock
HB: Smith - Talia - Reilly
C: Douglas - Thompson - Mackay
HF: Vince - Jenkins - Porplyzia
F: Callinan - Walker - McKernan
1R: Jacobs - Dangerfield - Sloane
I: van Berlo, Wright, Petrenko
S: Doughty

Out: L. Thompson, Symes
Ins: Jacobs, Lynch

I'm working on the assumption that Tippett and Shaw won't get up for the game. If Shaw does Lynch, or maybe McKernan will probably drop out, if Tippett does then McKernan drops out.

I agree think Tippett will stay out again OR play in SANFL for some touch :eek:

Out: McKernan, L.Thompson, Symes

In: Jacobs, Shaw, and Lyons
With Lyons I think the club will want to get games into him as insurance leading up to finals

Thompson certainly looked a little lost out there, certainly wasn't the easiest of matches to play your first game of the year in. I certainly think Hawkins dominance in the first half was as much to do with midfielders lack of pressure on the ball carrier and our lack of a 3rd man up, as it was Rutten's or Talia's fault. Thompson I think actually looked more at home when matched up against Hawkins directly, than he did earlier in the game.

Is Rutten a chance to be rested, so that Luke Thompson gets another game? Having played every game this year despite no pre season would surely start taking a toll and he's looked out of sorts at times in the past few weeks. It might be a good idea to trial a Talia/Thompson/Shaw backline, seeing as this is supposedly our future.

From the update that went out Sat regarding Tippett I find it highly unlikely he will get a gig this week. So if Sauce and Shaw are good to go I can see them being the only ins with Smack and Thompson out. Is this the most uncertain week we have had in regards to our lineup this season?

Sauce- Hammy (test)
Tippett- Concussion (test)
Shaw- Eye (Test)
Thompson- MRP
Talia- heard he was injured late (test)

From the update that went out Sat regarding Tippett I find it highly unlikely he will get a gig this week. So if Sauce and Shaw are good to go I can see them being the only ins with Smack and Thompson out. Is this the most uncertain week we have had in regards to our lineup this season?

Sauce- Hammy (test)
Tippett- Concussion (test
Shaw- Eye (Test)
Thompson- MRP
Talia- heard he was injured late (test)
Thompson won't go. And talia is apparently fine

Sauce was only rested as precaution, it was just a sore back that led to a sore hammy late in the week, I'd expect he would get up fine with a light training week. Not as sure about Shaw, haven't really heard much from the club there yet. I'm guessing...

IN: Jacobs, Tambling
OUT: Mckernan, Symes

Shaw to come in for LT if he gets up. Is Martin available yet?

Sauce was only rested as precaution, it was just a sore back that led to a sore hammy late in the week, I'd expect he would get up fine with a light training week. Not as sure about Shaw, haven't really heard much from the club there yet. I'm guessing...

IN: Jacobs, Tambling
OUT: Mckernan, Symes

Shaw to come in for LT if he gets up. Is Martin available yet?
afc.com.au said:
Ricky Henderson, who hurt an ankle against GWS on July 15, has some ligament damage and could be sidelined for another five or six weeks.

Brodie Martin is also set for an extended lay-off with his hamstring injury from the GWS game. But ruckman/forward Shaun McKernan, who suffered fractures in his jaw and face against Port earlier this month, may be cleared to return to full training later this week.
That's the latest from the club officially I believe (last Monday). Would think he'd come back in Symes if he were fully fit for this weekend.

In: Shaw Lyons Jacobs
Out: Rutten Symes McKernan

McKernan isn't anywhere near fit so he goes to find some form in the SANFL. Symes confirms what we already knew - a successful SANFL footballer not suited to the current AFL game. Lyons has had a frustrating return from injury given he's been bandied about reserves teams due to Glenelg bye. Regardless he has performed well and should be one of our first choice replacement mids. Jacobs is obvious.

Rutten our for Shaw is my controversial one. Rutten has played from Round 1 without a pre season and hasn't been in sparkling form of late. I think it would be unfair to boot L Thompson after one high pressure game following a long AFL lay off. Give him an extra match the prove himself and match up on a single player so he can settle in. Not sure if he is up to it, but could possibly be the answer to our CHB issue in the future. Shaw of course has performed well since debut (apart from North game) and provides a versatile option down back (and possibly up forward).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Shaw Lyons Jacobs
Out: Rutten Symes McKernan

McKernan isn't anywhere near fit so he goes to find some form in the SANFL. Symes confirms what we already knew - a successful SANFL footballer not suited to the current AFL game. Lyons has had a frustrating return from injury given he's been bandied about reserves teams due to Glenelg bye. Regardless he has performed well and should be one of our first choice replacement mids. Jacobs is obvious.

Rutten our for Shaw is my controversial one. Rutten has played from Round 1 without a pre season and hasn't been in sparkling form of late. I think it would be unfair to boot L Thompson after one high pressure game following a long AFL lay off. Give him an extra match the prove himself and match up on a single player so he can settle in. Not sure if he is up to it, but could possibly be the answer to our CHB issue in the future. Shaw of course has performed well since debut (apart from North game) and provides a versatile option down back (and possibly up forward).

Man are you serious!!!!!.............that will not happen barring injury.

BTW did Talia cop a corky yesterday and is he likely to front up against the Bombers

Rutten - get serious he has been one of our best all year and you want to drop him and keep L.Thompson??? Wtf are you smoking? Plenty of matchups for Truck V Essendon.

Rutten - get serious he has been one of our best all year and you want to drop him and keep L.Thompson??? Wtf are you smoking? Plenty of matchups for Truck V Essendon.

Truck always seems to cop it most for someone who does so much. People are always ready to rest him, or retire him. He's a champ and it seems he is slightly underrated still by some

Truck's a beast and the half of footy he had off Vs Geelong is enough of a rest

I'd like to keep LT Smash in the team for a few weeks more, his second half was good on Hawkins, better than Rutten and Talia IMO, but there's no way you'd drop Rutten. I'd bring Shaw back in for Symes and play him further up the ground as a HB or wing he's got great pace and agility.

I wouldn't mind B Smith having a couple of weeks off - he has been stinking it up in the last few weeks. Hopefully Shaw's eye has improved and be included; therefore
ins: Shaw, Jacobs possibly Lyons
outs: Mckernan, Smith doubts over Jenna T {injury}

I'm not advocating dropping Rutten at all. The thing is though, our charmed injury run will not last for ever and if we do lose Rutten or Talia in finals or shortly beforehand, we are screwed. Someone like Luke Thompson needs games to at least prove we have an alternative in the event we lose one of our pillars. Perhaps we'll rest Talia given his corkie on the weekend, but I doubt it given that we need to give him every bit of experience he can get heading into September.

Granted, Rutten probably doesn't need the rest after sitting out part of the weekend's game (I may have forgotten he was subbed out...) but I thought he might have wanted a week to freshen up, like Doughty did against GWS.

Having said all that, if Essendon were to line up with Gumbleton + Hurley + Crameri + Ryder + Bellchambers (they won't due to injury), i'd have no qualms with playing a Rutten + Talia + Thompson + Shaw backline. As it stands though, few of the teams we will play (Freo, Bris, GC, Melb) have that number of genuine talls which means it will be difficult to justify having an additional lockdown tall defender. This set up in place of a 2 KPD + Hendo/Shaw utility killed us on the weekend against a forward line with 1 KPF + 2 utilities.

Assuming Talia pulls up well (which he should) and Thompson is cleared at the MRP (wishful-thinking) I would like to see:

Out: L.Thompson. Symes.

In: Shaw. Jacobs.

I'd be okay with Tippett out for another week, just to ensure he's fully recovered, preventing another concussion, especially at the business-end of the season.

I do realise we probably couldn't play McKernan, Jenkins and Jacobs in the same team, but I think keep Jenkins in there, but who replaces McKernan?

Who gets the Fletcher match-up?

Assuming Talia pulls up well (which he should) and Thompson is cleared at the MRP (wishful-thinking) I would like to see:

Out: L.Thompson. Symes.

In: Shaw. Jacobs.

I'd be okay with Tippett out for another week, just to ensure he's fully recovered, preventing another concussion, especially at the business-end of the season.

I do realise we probably couldn't play McKernan, Jenkins and Jacobs in the same team, but I think keep Jenkins in there, but who replaces McKernan?

Who gets the Fletcher match-up?

Maybe johnston comes in for smack and plays as a key forward.
I wouldn't put too much time into fletcher. He's 37! If our forwards can't hold their own there's something wrong!

Maybe johnston comes in for smack and plays as a key forward.
I wouldn't put too much time into fletcher. He's 37! If our forwards can't hold their own there's something wrong!

I suppose you're right about Fletch, I just recall too many times when he's ripped our forwards apart.

Would be happy to see Johnston come in and given a shot. Sydney fans held him in such high regard, so I'd like to see if he's worth the original hype.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes vs Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back