Changes vs Lions Round 13

Remove this Banner Ad

As I said I think there was scope for all 3 to play in the same 22 given we only have 1 genuine tall forward. But I think Sinclair would of been happy to play a bit of WAFL and then get his opportunity while Naitanui has his achilles op and rehab. Also would of got a run late pre-season and first week home and away while Lycett was out with an ankle injury. We haven't even reached the mid season bye yet, who's to say Lycett won't go down something in the next 10 weeks too. Very rarely were all 3 fit at the same time while they played together, and some of the time when they were they all got games anyway.

Regarding retention, I'm certain Sydney would of accepted pretty much anything for Jetta- he was coming here no matter what. And Sinclair was the better stable-mate for Naitanui because he will always be a good 2nd stringer. Lycett is now going to spend 2 months having the top job to himself and hopefully flourish. That puts him and Nick as 2 of the comps top ruckman and the offers will come for Lycett who's very likely to think he's better off taking the money and stepping out of Naitanui's shadow when his contract is up. Surely its harder to hang onto 2 players who are stars in their position than it is to have a star and someone comfortable to live in his shadow. I think we'll lose one of Nat/Slyce within the next 3 years based purely on their market value to other teams. [And if this side takes a significant fall back down the ladder I would not begrudge Nick moving to another club to see out the remainder of his prime somewhere with genuine A-grade mids to work with. Bulldogs maybe, imagine the carnage]

Bold, you are kidding right, he'd be happy to play third ruckman running around in the WAFL , or playing as a 2nd ruck man in the AFL.

Sydney offers him the No 2 spot, however you think he'd say no, i want to play WAFL.

abdf17637c886986661017739bcf7936.jpg

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Giles to get his chance

Giles is undoubtedly a better ruck than Fraser but I'm more excited by the improvement to our forward structure Fraser can bring. I just can't see Giles offering that value.

Of course Frase could just spud everything up, which would be disappointing.
Not sure Fraser + JK and Darling would go too well. Reckon he'd just get in the way.

Will be interesting to see how things go!

Bold, you are kidding right, he'd be happy to play third ruckman running around in the WAFL , or playing as a 2nd ruck man in the AFL.

Sydney offers him the No 2 spot, however you think he'd say no, i want to play WAFL.

Sydney offered him big money as well, just saying...

So we have lost NicNat. Devastating but what could this do for our team? Time to see what is missing to make us a genuine flag contender and not just a top 8 side.

We were playing pretty ordinary football up until now and I believe were were on target to make the finals in positions 5 to 8. We were heading for 1 to 2 weeks in the finals without really threatening ultimate success. So far in 2016, we have not been in flag contention form.

Like 2015, the game just changed due to injuries. Time for the team to step up as a collective group. Time for the coaching staff to put into action the fundamentals that they talk about but do not follow through with when at the selection table.

So we are not likely to be winning as many taps. We were only breaking even on clearances with NicNat so what has changed? Hopefully we might strengthen the coaching panel and help Dean Cox put some winning strategies in place.

Lycett has stepped up and is looking the goods in 2016. He is more than capable of playing solo ruck role. Can we look at a genuine second tall in the forward line like McGovern (or McInnes) who can take a stint relieving Lycett? Besides, Darling is a great third tall in the forward line but not as good when he is the second tall. Let's play a genuine CHF in McGovern or McInnes. You never know, it might just work.

Without NicNat's domination in the taps means we might stop this losing experiment of Gaff in the guts. He is not able to cut the mustard at centre clearances so why do we take him from a job he was good at (winger) and turn him into an underwhelming clearance beast? We was all Australian last year based on his performance as a winger and while he did spend occasional time at clearances, he is not a winner. He is not an inside outside mid who wins his own ball.

What about Hurn in the centre? Worthy of a sustained run. Loved his physicality against Port. We could sure use this to make our other boys start playing a bit braver. Without Sheed, we are lacking something in the clearances.

Time to give Barrass a sustained run at Full Back (he is not more a FB than CHB) and let Schofield or Brown show they deserve the 3rd tall defender role. (That said they are not needed this week with a smaller Lions forward line). Oh and if you are worried about Cole playing along side Barrass - they have been doing it most of this year and so far it is working.

FB: Cole Barrass Butler
HB: Sheppard McKenzie Yeo
C: Wellingham Priddis Gaff
HF: Cripps McGovern Nelson
F: Hill Kennedy Darling
F: Lycett Hurn Shuey
I: Hutchings Redden Masten McInnes/Ellis

So we have lost NicNat. Devastating but what could this do for our team? Time to see what is missing to make us a genuine flag contender and not just a top 8 side.

We were playing pretty ordinary football up until now and I believe were were on target to make the finals in positions 5 to 8. We were heading for 1 to 2 weeks in the finals without really threatening ultimate success. So far in 2016, we have not been in flag contention form.

Like 2015, the game just changed due to injuries. Time for the team to step up as a collective group. Time for the coaching staff to put into action the fundamentals that they talk about but do not follow through with when at the selection table.

So we are not likely to be winning as many taps. We were only breaking even on clearances with NicNat so what has changed? Hopefully we might strengthen the coaching panel and help Dean Cox put some winning strategies in place.

Lycett has stepped up and is looking the goods in 2016. He is more than capable of playing solo ruck role. Can we look at a genuine second tall in the forward line like McGovern (or McInnes) who can take a stint relieving Lycett? Besides, Darling is a great third tall in the forward line but not as good when he is the second tall. Let's play a genuine CHF in McGovern or McInnes. You never know, it might just work.

Without NicNat's domination in the taps means we might stop this losing experiment of Gaff in the guts. He is not able to cut the mustard at centre clearances so why do we take him from a job he was good at (winger) and turn him into an underwhelming clearance beast? We was all Australian last year based on his performance as a winger and while he did spend occasional time at clearances, he is not a winner. He is not an inside outside mid who wins his own ball.

What about Hurn in the centre? Worthy of a sustained run. Loved his physicality against Port. We could sure use this to make our other boys start playing a bit braver. Without Sheed, we are lacking something in the clearances.

Time to give Barrass a sustained run at Full Back (he is not more a FB than CHB) and let Schofield or Brown show they deserve the 3rd tall defender role. (That said they are not needed this week with a smaller Lions forward line). Oh and if you are worried about Cole playing along side Barrass - they have been doing it most of this year and so far it is working.

We've missed that true CHF player ever since Lynch left. I know he wasn't fantastic, but he did what a CHF is meant to do. Darling is too small to be a CHF, and the sooner we get someone else in there, and JD back to the 3rd tall role, the sooner the whole forward line will benefit. I don't know why Simpson persists with Darling as the 2nd tall, when pretty average defenders can negate him easily, and he goes out of games too easily.

McInness played a couple of decent games last year from memory, playing primarily that CHF role, and he straightened us up quite a bit i thought.

I would rather see Kennedy and Gov rotate between CHF & FF with Darling as the third tall though. Barrass & Schoey/McKenzie can be the other talls down back depending on who we're playing. I'd have Hill & Cripps as the pockets at present, and then Darling would be on a flank with a resting mid on the other. At the moment Lecca & Cripps are out of form so give Lecca a rest and bring in Nelson to run through the guts. Ellis out and bring in Cole to get a run.

Going forward i'd like to change things up now to try and fix this midfield. We're not going to be a realistic flag chance, so time to bring in some fresh mid options.

FB: Sheppard Barrass Wellingham
HB: Cole McKenzie Hurn
C: Jetta Nelson Gaff
HF: Darling McGovern Adamson
F: Hill Kennedy Cripps
F: Lycett Yeo Shuey
I: Hutchings Redden Masten Duggan

Flame away peeps

Last edited:
Big Frase or Gilo???? Frase probably offers more up forward... First crack to him I reckon. Gilo aint the greatest but you never know we may need to call on him at some point. Be interesting to see how whoever misses out goes at East Perth over the next couple of weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Cole Emac Hurn
HB: Wellers McGovern Shep
C: Gaff Priddis Yeo
HF: Darling McInnes Masten
FF: Hill Kennedy Cripps
R: Lycett Shuey Redden

I: Nelson, Barrass, Jetta, Xellis

OUT: Lecras, Schofield, Naitanui (inj), Duggan, Hutchings.

IN: Cole, MacKenzie, Nelson, McInnes, Jetta

If Shep is out injured then Duggle gets a lifeline and rotates off half back with Nelson. Duggan is being killed playing that HFF rotation.
Hurn to man up and give us 3-5 minutes a quarter on the ball.
Jetta to play HFF and wing with some strict KPI to make sure he gets involved (whatever they spoke to him about before the last game was good, he had a crack)
Xellis to play HFF and HBF to make our rotations work.

It's possible I'm drunk but there you have it.

We've had 12 weeks for things to click and I have been one of the staunchest advocates for minimal changes. The click hasn't happened and now we have had a significant injury that insists we change our set-ups and expectations.

Schofield unlucky. He's frustrating but not going as bad as some would have it. Barrass needs to stay IMO so either Emac or Schofield to have a breather from the firsts, i just think Eric will come back in.

Likewise Hutch is a victim of wanting to see something new around the ball. Redden could have a spell instead and I would be cool with that.

Bugger this season and this team with barbed wire! It has been a very disappointing first half of the year :(

Team I expect (as opposed to team i'd prefer)

B: Schofield, MacKenzie, Sheppard
HB: Hurn, McGovern, Wellingham
C: Gaff, Priddis, Masten
HF: Cripps, Darling, Yeo
F: Giles, Kennedy, Hill
R: Lycett, Shuey, Hutchings
I: Ellis, Redden, LeCras, Nelson
E: Barrass, Jetta, McGinnity (traveling)

In: Giles, MacKenzie, Nelson
Out: Naitanui, Barrass, Duggan

Duggan the only real casualty, Barrass squeezed out by EMac returning.

Giles preferred as 2nd ruck.

LeCras given a "warning" by being named on the bench.

Let's see how close to the pin I get.

As I said I think there was scope for all 3 to play in the same 22 given we only have 1 genuine tall forward. But I think Sinclair would of been happy to play a bit of WAFL and then get his opportunity while Naitanui has his achilles op and rehab. Also would of got a run late pre-season and first week home and away while Lycett was out with an ankle injury. We haven't even reached the mid season bye yet, who's to say Lycett won't go down something in the next 10 weeks too. Very rarely were all 3 fit at the same time while they played together, and some of the time when they were they all got games anyway.

Regarding retention, I'm certain Sydney would of accepted pretty much anything for Jetta- he was coming here no matter what. And Sinclair was the better stable-mate for Naitanui because he will always be a good 2nd stringer. Lycett is now going to spend 2 months having the top job to himself and hopefully flourish. That puts him and Nick as 2 of the comps top ruckman and the offers will come for Lycett who's very likely to think he's better off taking the money and stepping out of Naitanui's shadow when his contract is up. Surely its harder to hang onto 2 players who are stars in their position than it is to have a star and someone comfortable to live in his shadow. I think we'll lose one of Nat/Slyce within the next 3 years based purely on their market value to other teams. [And if this side takes a significant fall back down the ladder I would not begrudge Nick moving to another club to see out the remainder of his prime somewhere with genuine A-grade mids to work with. Bulldogs maybe, imagine the carnage]
As somebody else said we have tried playing 3 ruckman before & it didn't work as it makes the team too top heavy. It's not extra tall timber that we require in the team but a more mobile midfield, and also a talented forward pocket player.

Personally don't think Sinclair would have stuck around - would have left to have got more opportunity (ala Rosa).

Giles is undoubtedly a better ruck than Fraser but I'm more excited by the improvement to our forward structure Fraser can bring. I just can't see Giles offering that value.

Of course Frase could just spud everything up, which would be disappointing.
Haven't taken much notice of Giles as thought he had buckleys chance of playing this year! What is he like in front of goals, and I presume he is a lumbering type of ruckman, not agile? Also how has McInnes's form been of late.

Firstly has Hurn got the tank to play midfield? Srs question as I'm not sure he has.

Secondly I know we missed McGovern in the backline the week he was injured against the doggies. I'm having a bit of a brain fade, but did we miss him all that much. Of course Barrass didn't play that week so that will help this time should McGovern go forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes vs Lions Round 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Back