List Mgmt. Christmas comes early (Nov 28 - 19 sleeps) - Draftee discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duggan
Foley
Chesser (debatable)

Who are all these half back types mooted as midfielders that we’ve drafted?

I count 3 and I’m not convinced Chesser counts. It’s certainly too early to say it hasn’t worked out (or will)

Off the top of my head include
Shepherd
Cole

disagree. we shouldve kept 2, taken wardlaw or sheezal and if they sook and want home in a yr or 2 we get 2 first rounders for the trade. back ourselves in as the biggest club in the country to convince these kids to stay longer.
You mean like North did?

Except they didn’t. They traded a kid picked at 1, one year ago, plus pick 1 this year, for pick 2, pick 3, and a future pick likely to be in the teens.

History suggests very few kids, drafted 12 or 24 months prior, actually get traded for overs, when they ask for a move home.

You are more likely to receive compensation similar to what Melbourne received for Jackson.

You mean like North did?

Except they didn’t. They traded a kid picked at 1, one year ago, plus pick 1 this year, for pick 2, pick 3, and a future pick likely to be in the teens.

History suggests very few kids, drafted 12 or 24 months prior, actually get traded for overs, when they ask for a move home.

You are more likely to receive compensation similar to what Melbourne received for Jackson.
AFL will stop the JHF thing happening again. New CBA will include mandatory 3-4yr contracts once drafted with no trade clauses. 18yo just need to get used to this being a national competition FFS. Most WA and SA lads dont end up staying home. they know if they want to play in the big leagues they have to move state. If the afl allow the status quo the draft is compromised and we may as well introduce a system when you can only play from the state you're from. Free agency is a farce now with very few player even reaching that milestone prior to requesting a move. I suspect the afl will make it hard for draftees initially and then once their 'apprenticeship' is finished then its a free for all....much like college kids are made to do 3 yrs at college b4 the big leagues.

Which is exactly why we shouldn't have traded out pick 2.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pick 2.

One of Cadman (not a mid), Sheezel (not a mid) or Wardlaw (a mid with injury and apparently stated go home concerns).

Picks 8 and 12, hopefully Phillipou (a mid) and Hewett (a mid), both of whom don't look much of a step back from Wardlaw.

Normally I'd be reluctant to lose pick 2, but with this draft it could be a very smart move.

Pick 2.

One of Cadman (not a mid), Sheezel (not a mid) or Wardlaw (a mid with injury and apparently stated go home concerns).

Picks 8 and 12, hopefully Phillipou (a mid) and Hewett (a mid), both of whom don't look much of a step back from Wardlaw.
Who said this....sometimes your peers judge you best.

"Asked who he would select at Pick 2, ...... said: “I think George Wardlaw or myself. George could probably challenge Will for being the best player. I think if he had a whole year, I reckon he probably would be the No. 1 100 per cent. I‘ve played against him since juniors and he’s just always been like an absolute beast – no one can really stop him"

AFL will stop the JHF thing happening again. New CBA will include mandatory 3-4yr contracts once drafted with no trade clauses. 18yo just need to get used to this being a national competition FFS. Most WA and SA lads dont end up staying home. they know if they want to play in the big leagues they have to move state. If the afl allow the status quo the draft is compromised and we may as well introduce a system when you can only play from the state you're from. Free agency is a farce now with very few player even reaching that milestone prior to requesting a move. I suspect the afl will make it hard for draftees initially and then once their 'apprenticeship' is finished then its a free for all....much like college kids are made to do 3 yrs at college b4 the big leagues.
No idea about NFL, but in the NBA, kids only have to do 1 year of college before declaring for the NBA.

Or they can skip college and turn pro overseas for 1 year, or join the NBA’s development league and play 1 year before declaring for the NBA.

A rather strange comment. Bazzo is 195 cm and van Rooyen is 193 cm. Not a great difference in height.

If you watched the game, van Rooyen was winning the ball leading up and into space - it was not big pack marks being clunked.
I was surprised bazzo was 195 cms .

Saw him and chesser at the cricket a few weeks ago and thought bazzo wasn't a lot taller than me 188cms and skinny as a rake .

Chesser was pretty buff

No idea about NFL, but in the NBA, kids only have to do 1 year of college before declaring for the NBA.

Or they can skip college and turn pro overseas for 1 year, or join the NBA’s development league and play 1 year before declaring for the NBA.
3 years out of high school for NFL (or American Football).

Kids also go all over America for college as well. Admittedly a lot of these kids come from small towns or areas without a big school nearby but a lot of them see it as an adventure in starting out in adulthood.

Duggan
Foley
Chesser (debatable)

Who are all these half back types mooted as midfielders that we’ve drafted?

I count 3 and I’m not convinced Chesser counts. It’s certainly too early to say it hasn’t worked out (or will)

I actually think Foley was a wingman we turned into a defender

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ideally I'm hoping for Phillipou & Hotton in the top 20, and Jones & Barnett in the 20's.
Ginbey with the lack of disposals in the colts & league is a big concern for me, regardless of whether he spent a significant amount of time in defence.
Keeler as a backup if he slides to our first pick in the 20's and either Jones or Barnett is gone.

Last edited:
Keen on george with 20.
Seems like a good prospect and a steal in the 20's but he's gonna be out for most of 2023 due to injury.
A club would taking a decent punt on a player that won't likely be playing until 2024.
But ofc we had the same thing with Chesser this year lol, at least we already know it'll happen with George.

To quote numerous folks here on this forum when talking about drafting 18yo.kids with injury concerns (who were happy to trade pick 2 BC of wardlaw hammys)....don't touch him

Wardlaw's issues aren't his hammies, it's because he allegedly made it well-known at the combine that he didn't want to move interstate.

So what, we should've taken a punt on him staying. If hes as good as they say he would be a walk up start in our best 22. Shown other kids how to do it. I'm sick of these sooks, the AFL needs to step in and make some changes.

Until Vic clubs kick up a stink, the AFL will not step in.

The draft is so compromised these days the whole system needs an overhaul.

To be fair there are probably as many players that don't indicate that they don't want to move states but end up requesting a trade home not long after being drafted.
I think that clubs should back themselves in to be able to convince a player to stay long term unless they have a history of failure in that area.
Our club has been pretty good with interstate player retention so can't see why we would start being cautious now.

In regards to whether we're locked into drafting the locals in Ginbey & Hewitt (or Busslinger), it is a little concerning that ROB said that if there are 2 very similar prospects that they would favour the WA player over the interstate one (at 2:53).
This is despite him also saying that the club will draft the best player no matter where they're from...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back