List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Are or aren't? Typo makes it hard to tell if you are being serious or facetious. Based on the fact that there is only 1 WA prospect rated in the top 30 and he is a ruck.
How far has WA footy fallen?
I was surprised at the death of WA names, my typing is...., well I blame auto correct.
Unless, this is a tent city special?

Are or aren't? Typo makes it hard to tell if you are being serious or facetious. Based on the fact that there is only 1 WA prospect rated in the top 30 and he is a ruck.
How far has WA footy fallen?
Yeah its bad. You have these northern academies where clubs can invest directly in youth programs to develop talent as it benefits them directly but WA misses out. Most of the U16 all australian team were academy players as well, so its not going to get better in the next couple of years either. Clubs try to exploit any advantages they can get and the academy programs is a big one.

It would be nice if the AFL recognized that WA footy needs some help at the moment. The AFL clubs are bad, the state youth teams are bad and the WAFL is struggling.
We don't get any special opening rounds or gather rounds. Half our games are the last game on a Sunday and we very much seem an afterthought at the moment.
We contribute as much money as any other club and receive half of what some other clubs do. I get that we are successful but you would think WA footy should receive a hand when we need it too.

If this stacks up I hope we aren't focusing on the best WA kids

3/4 of our draftees last year were Victorian and our one live rookie draft pick was from SA.

The year before that, we took 2 WA kids and 3 interstate kids in the national draft.

Plus we just signed a list manager based in Victoria, to work alongside our recruiting manager who I believe is based in SA.

The only people who think we only look at WA kids are idiots like Sam McClure.

Updated Ranking
1. Finn O'Sullivan - Oakleigh/Vic Country 181cm - cousin of Sam Walsh, great over head, good user of the footy, smooth mover in traffic
2. Sid Draper - Sth Adel 180cm - one of the better mids for SA at the u18s champs, good work rate and good movement through the midfield
3. Levi Ashcroft - Sandringham(Bris FS) 179cm - small forward who can also accumulate in the midfield, has slowly moved up the rankings with quality performances
4. Josh Smillie - Eastern 194cm - tall midfielder type, who can also play hbf well, good vision and positioning
5. Tyler Welsh - WWT 191cm(Adle FS) - shortish KPF, great work rate and speed for a KPF, movement is fantastic and a good goal kicker
6. Jagga Smith - Oakleigh 181cm - accumulator midfielder, good goal kicker, good agility and movement
7. Leonardo Lombard - GCS A 178cm - a fantastic midfielder who took a few big steps in the CTL and VFL, rising up the draft boards
8. Phoenix Hargrave - Sth Adel 182cm - dominant quality mid at u16s, was solid this year at the u18s and was MVP in the sanfl u18s this year
9. Nash King - Calder 181cm - tough quality midfielder, was ok at u16s but his CTL form and VM form this year confirmed his highish rating going into 2024
10. Joe Harrison - Syd A 187cm - only seen a small sample, but he looks quality, had a big game for NSW
11. Tom Gross - Oakleigh 180cm - tough contested midfielder, goes in without fear which is a good trait, a bit erratic
12. Tobie Travaglia - Bendigo 187cm - watching bendigo he would steal the show with his intercepting and general quality play off hbf/hff
13. Jobe Shanahan - Bendigo/NSW 192cm - another shortish KPP, good contested mark, very impressive for Bendigo/NSW
14. Christian Moraes - Eastern 182cm - was decent at the u16s champs, but his year this year was top knotch for VM and during the finals
15. Harry O'Farrell - Calder 196cm - a KPD that has improved and caught my eye in a couple of rep games, also has the height to possibly go high in the draft
16. Jonty Faull - GWV 194cm - a KPF who improved dramatically this year and again could rise in rankings based on late season form
17. Jesse Dattoli - Northern 178cm - a small forward who had a strong year, looked good for VM as well
18. Kayle Gerryn - West Perth 198cm - a ruck who was very good in most aspects for WA at the u16s, in a strong WA Team and looking good in the wafl colts after a growth spurt
19. Benny Barrett - Sth Adel 174cm (Port NGA) - very similar player to Ky Pickett, had a fantastic 2022, but not so great 2023, hoping he can find his form and confidence
20. Lucas Camporeale - Glenlg 182cm (Carl FS) - was top tier winger/mid at the u16s, dropped off a little this year in sanfl u18s form
21. Ben Camporeale - Glenlg 184cm (Carl FS) - moved from hbf to midfield this year and boosted his value, so i have put them together in the rankings
22. Jayden Nguyen - Calder 177cm (Ess NGA) - speedy clever winger who can accumulate, was good at the u16s and this year had a few big games
23. Patrick Retschko - Oakleigh 186cm - really impressed with calmness and quality for VM this year, could be a first rounder if he keeps fit
24. Sam Marshall - Bris A/Sand 185cm - accumulator mid, stood out for Brisbane in their CTL games, had a good game for QLD as well
25. Zak Johnson - Northern 185cm - quality kick of the footy, kicking stood out at the u16s, has been good this year in the CTL and rep at stages too
26. Kade Herbert - WWT 183cm - had a good u18s series which i think increased his value, some have him higher, but i have him here for now
27. Caleb Nancarrow - GCS A/Oak 191cm - another shortish KPP, but has hops in his legs, hangs in the air like M.Jordan lol very athletic
28. Otis Harvey - Swan Dist 182cm - one of the better WA players, good mid and continued form in 2023
29. Isaac Kako - Calder 175cm (Ess NGA) - quality small forward, good on a lead and crumbing goals, not sure on defensive game?
30. Sam Lalor - GWV 187cm - strong midfielder, played well in CTL and for VC

Red are FS or academy kids.
I’d take most of that listing as a very general starting list.

Davo has his own way of doing things and gets some of it right and some of it wrong.

Had Sanders outside the top 20 or close to it from memory last year right up until fairly late.

Smith should not be number 6 as an example already of how Davo sometimes likes to mix things up. Should be one or two if going on last years performances.

Not bagging him out he does a good job in general but just saying I wouldn’t put too much into that list at this time of the year.

That goes for the WA boys too I’m sure a few will impress when given the opportunity.

Updated Ranking
1. Finn O'Sullivan - Oakleigh/Vic Country 181cm - cousin of Sam Walsh, great over head, good user of the footy, smooth mover in traffic
2. Sid Draper - Sth Adel 180cm - one of the better mids for SA at the u18s champs, good work rate and good movement through the midfield
3. Levi Ashcroft - Sandringham(Bris FS) 179cm - small forward who can also accumulate in the midfield, has slowly moved up the rankings with quality performances
4. Josh Smillie - Eastern 194cm - tall midfielder type, who can also play hbf well, good vision and positioning
5. Tyler Welsh - WWT 191cm(Adle FS) - shortish KPF, great work rate and speed for a KPF, movement is fantastic and a good goal kicker
6. Jagga Smith - Oakleigh 181cm - accumulator midfielder, good goal kicker, good agility and movement
7. Leonardo Lombard - GCS A 178cm - a fantastic midfielder who took a few big steps in the CTL and VFL, rising up the draft boards
8. Phoenix Hargrave - Sth Adel 182cm - dominant quality mid at u16s, was solid this year at the u18s and was MVP in the sanfl u18s this year
9. Nash King - Calder 181cm - tough quality midfielder, was ok at u16s but his CTL form and VM form this year confirmed his highish rating going into 2024
10. Joe Harrison - Syd A 187cm - only seen a small sample, but he looks quality, had a big game for NSW
11. Tom Gross - Oakleigh 180cm - tough contested midfielder, goes in without fear which is a good trait, a bit erratic
12. Tobie Travaglia - Bendigo 187cm - watching bendigo he would steal the show with his intercepting and general quality play off hbf/hff
13. Jobe Shanahan - Bendigo/NSW 192cm - another shortish KPP, good contested mark, very impressive for Bendigo/NSW
14. Christian Moraes - Eastern 182cm - was decent at the u16s champs, but his year this year was top knotch for VM and during the finals
15. Harry O'Farrell - Calder 196cm - a KPD that has improved and caught my eye in a couple of rep games, also has the height to possibly go high in the draft
16. Jonty Faull - GWV 194cm - a KPF who improved dramatically this year and again could rise in rankings based on late season form
17. Jesse Dattoli - Northern 178cm - a small forward who had a strong year, looked good for VM as well
18. Kayle Gerryn - West Perth 198cm - a ruck who was very good in most aspects for WA at the u16s, in a strong WA Team and looking good in the wafl colts after a growth spurt
19. Benny Barrett - Sth Adel 174cm (Port NGA) - very similar player to Ky Pickett, had a fantastic 2022, but not so great 2023, hoping he can find his form and confidence
20. Lucas Camporeale - Glenlg 182cm (Carl FS) - was top tier winger/mid at the u16s, dropped off a little this year in sanfl u18s form
21. Ben Camporeale - Glenlg 184cm (Carl FS) - moved from hbf to midfield this year and boosted his value, so i have put them together in the rankings
22. Jayden Nguyen - Calder 177cm (Ess NGA) - speedy clever winger who can accumulate, was good at the u16s and this year had a few big games
23. Patrick Retschko - Oakleigh 186cm - really impressed with calmness and quality for VM this year, could be a first rounder if he keeps fit
24. Sam Marshall - Bris A/Sand 185cm - accumulator mid, stood out for Brisbane in their CTL games, had a good game for QLD as well
25. Zak Johnson - Northern 185cm - quality kick of the footy, kicking stood out at the u16s, has been good this year in the CTL and rep at stages too
26. Kade Herbert - WWT 183cm - had a good u18s series which i think increased his value, some have him higher, but i have him here for now
27. Caleb Nancarrow - GCS A/Oak 191cm - another shortish KPP, but has hops in his legs, hangs in the air like M.Jordan lol very athletic
28. Otis Harvey - Swan Dist 182cm - one of the better WA players, good mid and continued form in 2023
29. Isaac Kako - Calder 175cm (Ess NGA) - quality small forward, good on a lead and crumbing goals, not sure on defensive game?
30. Sam Lalor - GWV 187cm - strong midfielder, played well in CTL and for VC

Red are FS or academy kids.
I'll be staggered if Nancarrow goes in the top 50.

Gee after only 2 years as you say, the deterioration of the 2018 economic powerhouse of the AFL's operating profit (after divy to WAFC) and crowd numbers has been 'dramatic':

2021:

WC $7.2m
Freo $1.55m

2022:

WC $3.46m
Freo $2.43m

WC $1.9m
Freo $1.55m

2023 Home Game attendance:

WC: 42,251
Freo: 41,199

If Freo make finals this year (or even finish with 7/8 wins), they will well and truly surpass us on Operating Profit and Home Game Attendance and it would be an even bet whether we even make an operating profit this year.

For reference, in 2013 we had in excess of 4x Freo's Operating Profit after finishing 13th whilst they had their most successful year.

You snooze, you lose .... and our failure to trade out established stars or turnover list cloggers has created such an unbalanced list that is going to take another 4 year's minimum to rectify (unless the AFL steps in, at the moment we make flogging a dead horse seem quite reasonable).

Fox Sports predicted at the start of 2023:

"Retaining so many of their older players is a tricky move to assess. On the one hand, it will keep them somewhat competitive in the short-term, but conversely it could extend the amount of time before they’re a side in premiership contention."

Got the 1st part way wrong and the second part absolutely right.

Need to find our next Darling/Gov in the next couple of drafts before we even start to break even and that's assuming Reid/Ginbey are our Shuey/Yeo replacements.

If Reid doesn't sign an extension before mid season there will be some nervous people at Eagles HQ.

I for one hope everyone at the Eagles is being dramatic, because we haven't hit the bottom yet.
Unless we see the full P&L statement you don't know $$$ being banked before WAFC are paid.
Profits from investments being reinvested means we are light years ahead of the mob down the freeman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I'm thinking this could be a great year to split pick 1 or 2.

Like you say at this (admittedly very early) stage there is no Reid/Ashcroft/Daicos standout, but a group of 4-6 potentially who are hard to seperate.

Also, going off the Nisbett interview with Duff, there appears to be a definite softening of the 'no handouts' stance they once had. If WC have another year like the last two, we'll be getting something from the AFL for sure.
I'm only splitting IF we get either Jagga Smith or Finn S. Need the outside mid accumator linker player like mckercher. Given how even the draft is nobody is going even want to give us a top 5 pick for pick 1.

The only way I can see a split being entertained by another club willing is if Josh S rises up the board. He's not someone I want and is the do not touch. He's not the risk we can take on with our already high ceiling players.

Last edited:
I was surprised at the death of WA names, my typing is...., well I blame auto correct.
Unless, this is a tent city special?
It isn't a problem for us because It is not as if we have access to them.
Would like us to have access to NGA players at 20

I’d take most of that listing as a very general starting list.

Davo has his own way of doing things and gets some of it right and some of it wrong.

Had Sanders outside the top 20 or close to it from memory last year right up until fairly late.

Smith should not be number 6 as an example already of how Davo sometimes likes to mix things up. Should be one or two if going on last years performances.

Not bagging him out he does a good job in general but just saying I wouldn’t put too much into that list at this time of the year.

That goes for the WA boys too I’m sure a few will impress when given the opportunity.
I agree, looking at that list I was a tad shocked with a few in there. Smith at 6, he's top 2 IMO and Moraes at 14 is crazy! He was electric in last years finals and deserves to be top 5-6.

No Murphy Reid and Luke Trainor in the top 30, whaaaaattttttttttttttt.

Watching Chad Warner in the last quarter last night, he was the difference when game was on the line.

Still irks me that we gave up so much for Kelly, just needed to keep that pick 38 which is exactly where Warner went. Although I'm not confident we would've taken him there.

Would love to get him on our list, tough, good ball use, runner, defensive pressure.

I agree, looking at that list I was a tad shocked with a few in there. Smith at 6, he's top 2 IMO and Moraes at 14 is crazy! He was electric in last years finals and deserves to be top 5-6.

No Murphy Reid and Luke Trainor in the top 30, whaaaaattttttttttttttt.
Harvey Langford Ave 22 disposals last year in 14 talent league games. Was best on in a couple of those or very close to it. Should be top 30 easily.

Article on why Deven Robertson elected to stay with Brisbane.
I wasn't disappointed TBH.

Still irks me that we gave up so much for Kelly, just needed to keep that pick 38 which is exactly where Warner went. Although I'm not confident we would've taken him ththere.
Yeah I feel this - but then even if we kept the pick and did take him, would we have developed and given him the same opportunities he has had with Sydney to get him to where he is now? Also not confident.

Also feel like if we were so keen on him, it wouldn't have been so hard to work our way back into the draft that late.

I'm only splitting IF we get either Jagga Smith or Finn S. Need the outside mid accumator linker player like mckercher. Given how even the draft is nobody is going even want to give us a top 5 pick for pick 1.

The only way I can see a split being entertained by another club willing is if Josh S rises up the board. He's not someone I want and is the do not touch. He's not the risk we can take on with our already high ceiling players.
Clubs will always look to move up.

Strange calling Smillie a risk, he looks a sure thing. Agree with you regarding the type of mid we should be looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back