List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:

Keen to add yet another ruckman not getting games for their current club. It's been a solid strategy for us :/
Bit of a simplistic way of looking at it when Darcy and Jackson are on the list. With English likely to stay if you’ve got a better ruck plan I’m all ears. Unlikely any rucks playing regular AFL would want to come over so we either have a stab at another Flynn type or accept our lot and plan to have one ready for when Flynn and BWilliams contracts end.

Some nuffie I work with. Is a Freo fan though so probably should just ignore him.

If I may - Just highlighting the important words for you.

posters on Dogs board saying English has re-signed.
The media Narrative changed a lot over the last 2 weeks. A week or 2 ago Rhino, Morris and Cal all said it shifted towards to the Eagles. To this week most saying they expect him to stay. Clear deliberate poly from his manager and it’s worked (plus doggies form)

Any State league rucks out there? I have faith even though it’s declining in Flynn but can’t have B Williams as our 2nd ruck.

Didn’t they also say Garcia has signed?

It’s probably right that he has, or will, which is a bit of a bummer given I’d finally got my head around the merits of chasing him after being against it earlier in the year

Just on Knobel, he's 206cm with very good ruck craft and deceptively good around the ground. Bit like Oscar McInerney IMO.

When drafted he was very raw, it was always said he was 4 years away from playing. He's currently 2 years into that, so I'm not surprised he's only really just come into the Peel league side, also has Reidy ahead of him who is more developed and ready to go. But he's done pretty well in league since coming in.

He still needs to build his size, strength and tank and at 2 years in to that he's be a fantastic acquisition for the future.
Modern day rucks need to be minimum 204cm, minimum.

It’s probably right that he has, or will, which is a bit of a bummer given I’d finally got my head around the merits of chasing him after being against it earlier in the year

Yeah I reckon I only came around to the idea about a fortnight ago - he's about the only realistic free-hit we have in this offseason. But even though he does improve our list it's not going to change us that significantly.

Sounds like that was just from observation at training with the boys getting around him in a circle after an announcement. So could be.

They just announced another player signing on their socials so might be one of those they drip feed some of these signings out.

Hopefully with what Waterman was saying today our will be similar with him and HEdwards and the rumour Burgiel has signed on .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually if Gold Coast were smart, they would bring in top line players that could make a difference.

D Rioli is supposedly a priority and that is a start. I actually think the last thing they need is a bunch of new draftees. They had a heap last year and will get a bunch more top end talent in the next 2 drafts.

Who else is on the market?

They should put their hand up for Tom Barrass and offer 6 and 26 if we pay a big chuck of his salary. They would still have the 11 and 20 to trade with Richmond for Rioli (with % of salary paid by Tigers). That would leave them about enough points for Lombard.

The Suns need to use their picks not continue to bank them forward. For a decade, the Suns continue to bank picks and accumulate young talent. Time to change tact and make finals. Rioli and Barrass would help a lot more in 2025 than picks 6 11 20 and 26.

BTW - I am not advocating Tom would want to go there, only that the Suns should be looking to lure talent up north like Brisbane did with Dunkly and Neal
The should see if they can pry Luke Parker out of Sydney. Wouldn't cost a bunch but would give them some hardness they need for a year or two.

Im not unhappy about that. I rate English as a footballer but not as a ruck. Our main gripe with our current rucks is they dont win enough taps to advantage to give our mids first use. English doesnt move the needle on that. HIs great strength is endurance and taking marks all over the ground.

I rate Ryan pretty highly and think he adds a lot to our side. It won't happen but unless we got a pick around 10. That's what I think he is worth. Is in prime years now. We shouldn't be accepting anything less then. Why should we.

If you think Liam Ryan is in his prime then I hate to see what he is like when he drops off.

Unfit with two bad legs isn’t a recipe for him to be hitting anywhere near his all Australian year. If we could nab a pick in the low to mid 20s sign up now because we won’t get that again

Nope still unsigned.
Perhaps thinking of Joel Freijah?

Ryan won't be traded because for us it just isn't worth it. The most we would get on a trade is a pick in the late 20s. He should be a lot more then that but on the market that's all he will be valued at and that's just crap. Who ever the dumb reporters saying Ryan have rocks in there head. They do need to realise he is contracted till end of 26 and Eagles need to say yes to it. It won't happen. No way we getting peanuts for Ryan. Ryan will be held till end of 2026. If other clubs are offering 3 years. I don't mind us extending his contract for another year considering he is contracted anyhow for another two with us. Make his contract till the end of 2027 and we are doing the same. After that who knows. He is a good player to have around anyhow. This talk of him going for basically nothing back to us is just nonsense crazy talk. Oppo clubs only want him on the cheap and will be lowballing us. Not going to happen.
Just hold him. Get a huge preseason into him, get him back playing vintage flyin and then sell him off end of next year for a higher pick.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Different source for that one, not posted on BF to my knowledge. Although was recently some rumblings that Garcia was in the middle of a group announcement at training and was getting the Gatorade etc treatment, read into that what you will.

The English chase has been a roller coaster, I think most would have hoped that we got a bit more out of our rucks this year so the board’s interest in acquiring him has increased as the year’s gone on.

Ultimately I think if English has re-signed its for the best, with our mids I’d much rather a tap ruckman giving first use to our bulls. Like a few others here I’m very keen on Knobel and I think if he leaves Freo he’ll show everyone what some see in him. He’s OOC this year, has been settled in Perth for two years and will walk into the WAFL primary ruck position and may get some AFL games at the back end of next year with a big preseason.

Offer him a contract he can’t say no to and someone tell Matty Clarke to pick up the bloody phone.

The media Narrative changed a lot over the last 2 weeks. A week or 2 ago Rhino, Morris and Cal all said it shifted towards to the Eagles. To this week most saying they expect him to stay. Clear deliberate poly from his manager and it’s worked (plus doggies form)

Any State league rucks out there? I have faith even though it’s declining in Flynn but can’t have B Williams as our 2nd ruck.
Generally they get taken in the MSD like Teakle if they are having a great year

I hope English has signed on he's a proper crab at ruckwork, the play is Moyle and 26 for Ryan GC or knobel and 25 for ryan FREO

Different source for that one, not posted on BF to my knowledge. Although was recently some rumblings that Garcia was in the middle of a group announcement at training and was getting the Gatorade etc treatment, read into that what you will.

Never heard of a team celebrating a fringe player getting a contract extension. Seems bizarre that this is the conclusion when it could have been one of a hundred other things he's getting cheered or hazed over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back