List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:

Haven't heard much love about Joe Richards, who I rate and is out-of-contract. Maybe it's because it's thought that small forwards can be found readily in the draft, and appreciable hope about Long and Dewar, but he sits well for us age and position-wise.

Haven't heard much love about Joe Richards, who I rate and is out-of-contract. Maybe it's because it's thought that small forwards can be found readily in the draft, and appreciable hope about Long and Dewar, but he sits well for us age and position-wise.

This guy?

IMG_5666.jpeg

Just hold him. Get a huge preseason into him, get him back playing vintage flyin and then sell him off end of next year for a higher pick.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Exactly what I'm thinking.
A pick in the late 20s is a joke for Ryan. Doesn't do anything for our rebuild because the chances of getting a 200 game AFL quality player in the late 20s is very rare these days. Why throw a player that's pure quality in Ryan away for a huge risk on a crappy late 20s pick. All I'm saying is the price needs to be right for us. We need to be smart, not stupid and desperate just because we need to bring in some draft picks.

Most years the top 15 in the draft is where its at. Anything after that is a lotto. Going by history its a 10-20% chance at best of getting a player that will be quality and play 200 games. Most end up being duds.

Anyone that says otherwise needs to go and look at every draft from 2018 or even further back if you like and see who got drafted in the 20-30 range.
Most years it only 1 or 2 that make it in that range between 20-30. Most years 8 players in that range don't make it at all.

Ryan for a pick in the 20s isn't what it's cracked up to be. It's time we started rating our players worth more highly. They know it. No wonder why they are after all our players if we are that easy at bending over. They want Ryan that badly then pay up. It's fair to say a pick between 10-15. Its non negotiable. Anything over that screw them and it isn't worth our time.

Last edited:
A pick in the late 20s is a joke for Ryan. Doesn't do anything for our rebuild because the chances of getting a 200 game AFL quality player in the late 20s is very rare these days. Why throw a player that's pure quality in Ryan away for a huge risk on a crappy late 20s pick. All I'm saying is the price needs to be right for us. We need to be smart, not stupid and desperate just because we need to bring in some draft picks.

Most years the top 15 in the draft is where its at. Anything after that is a lotto. Going by history its a 10-20% chance at best of getting a player that will be quality and play 200 games. Most end up being duds.

Anyone that says otherwise needs to go and look at every draft from 2018 or ego even further back if you like and see who got drafted in the 20-30 range.
Most years it only 1 or 2 that make it in that range between 20-30. Most years 8 players in that range don't make it at all.

Ryan for a pick in the 20s isn't what it's cracked up to be. It's time we started rating our players worth more highly. They know it. No wonder why they are after all our players if we are that easy at bending over. They want Ryan that badly then pay up. It's fair to say a pick between 10-15. Its non negotiable. Anything over that screw them and it isn't worth our time.

We'll get what we deem as fair or overs in value (I think pick 10-15 is about right) or we'll keep him. Just like Barrass. People say contracts aren't worth anything anymore but they are at the trade table.

Anyone that says otherwise needs to go and look at every draft from 2018 or ego even further back if you like and see who got drafted in the 20-30 range.

This draft is deep.

And difficult to assess.

Some recruiters saying best player may end up coming after the 20s it is that difficult to rate. And clubs with different needs or views will rank players very differently.

So in essence if you were going to cut deep and draft late. This is the draft to do it.

Especially with very compromised drafts from now on and Tassie coming in.

Last edited:
I can't say I've watched him for Perth, but for WA I thought he looked a tantalising prospect as he has some elite traits; leap and agility. I also thought his skills looked really good, kicked a few pearlers.

His ability to dance with speed out of heavy traffic was amazing, I'm super keen to watch him next year. I had him top of my list for F/S and NGA prospects, then Banfield then Walley.
Athletically he is gifted and he is a great kid too . But his skills are lacking .

Think how duggan just slams it forward under pressure and that what he does .

Blind snaps and long kicks without looking .

Composure , lowering the eyes , kicking to targets and kicking proper drop punts is what he needs to work on .

I can see over the season he has been working on it. Its an obvious flaw he needs to work on so I assume his coaches at Perth or when he trains with our NGA this will be addressed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This draft is deep.

And difficult to assess.

Some recruiters saying best player may end up coming after tge 20s it is that difficult to rate. And clubs with different needs or views will rank players very differently.

So in essence if you were going to cut deep and draft late. This is the draft to do it.

Especially with very compromised drafts from now on and Tassie coming in.
History tells us otherwise with later picks. I've heard that chestnut a few times over the years. We should be trying to get multiple picks in the top 15.

If we come out with 3 or 4 picks in the top 15 we have done extremely well.

I'm not sure on the order with academy picks but roughly something like this.
Split pick 2 for pick 5&12
Barrass for pick 10 and 21

On trade pick 21 and our 2nd rnd pick for pick 13

Ryan for pick 11. We could throw in a late 3rd if we think its worth it.

Come out with pick 5,10,11,12

Well if we miss English its not a huge deal.
Hopefully we can get Flynns injuries sorted for next year, and hopefully Barnett comes on big time next year. 3rd year ruck needs to be playing reasonably well in the WAFL.

Might need to start looking elsewhere for a young ruckman or at least a better medium term solution

A little bit of info on the Barrass situation from a source I trust, feel free to attach whatever weight you wish to the following:

Both Barrass and Eagles are happy to deal with any VIC club, preferably one with finals on the radar.

Hawks and Eagles are well down the road in discussions. Hawks have agreed a potential trade would include their 1R pick and have also (short of going 0-3 and finishing 13th) offered their F2. Eagles have asked for a player of value instead of the F2 (i.e. NOT DGB).

A little bit of info on the Barrass situation from a source I trust, feel free to attach whatever weight you wish to the following:

Both Barrass and Eagles are happy to deal with any VIC club, preferably one with finals on the radar.

Hawks and Eagles are well down the road in discussions. Hawks have agreed a potential trade would include their 1R pick and have also (short of going 0-3 and finishing 13th) offered their F2. Eagles have asked for a player of value instead of the F2 (i.e. NOT DGB).

Not sure they'd have anyone worthwhile that's valued the same as a f2.

I'd take the future 2nd

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Their F2 is likely going to be high 20’s/low 30’s so isn’t all that attractive. Would rather the Collingwood R2 this year they hold

Ward is a good option but doubt they’d be willing to let him go and we’d have to convince him to move across which would be a hard sell

Not sure there’s anyone else on their list they’d be willing to part with

Alternatively swap their F1 for our F2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back