List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ashcroft’s a bit different because he’s committed to the Lions as a father-son, I don’t think there’d be too many Sandringham Dragons prospects who’d be lining up for Brisbane’s VFL side otherwise.

I get that it’s a product of the different systems in place in the different states, but on this occasion the outcome is that a big Vic club who is likely to hold the number 1 pick is being given the opportunity to audition a handful of players, an opportunity that wouldn’t be available to other clubs. It just seems to be another “one of those things” that just happens to give a leg up to the one of the AFL’s darlings.
Richmond is only able to play these kids as what they call the 23rd man because due to injury, they do not have enough players to field a VFL side. Not mentioned in the news article.

Also all clubs have recruiting staff watching these games. If you don’t your amateurs. There’s no real advantage. Every club was aware of how these kids performed.

Last edited:
Jagga played his third and final VFL game of the season, again playing predominantly in midfield and producing excellent numbers against grown men. This might have been the least impressive of his three VFL outings, but Jagga Smith doesn't play a bad game. His willingness to put his body on the line and wear the hits to win contested footy was a particular feature in this one.

Richmond is only able to play these kids as what they call the 23rd man because due to injury, they do not have enough players to field a VFL side.

Our reserves went through a similar thing last year. We weren’t able to call up top-10 draft prospects, we got some East Freo reserves and enticed Schofield and Kane Mitchell out of retirement.

For those curious about the distribution of players - https://central.rookieme.com/afl/2024/08/09/preview-vfl-hosts-coates-talent-league-prospects/

Also note that Freo get to look at Bo Allen, as he plays for Peel.

Bit like Ginbey in his draft year.

I imagine then that the issue(again) lies with WCE's current setup in the WAFL. Needs to be set up like a proper club IMO, not just AFL players with a bunch of ammos.
Doubt the WAFL or AFL let that happen. Once the Port Adelaide Magpies become the Power full time ressies they had to get rid of their own ressies and colts and lost their SANFL zone.

What local talents could we get with our later picks, there is quite alot of late talent coming through our WAFL colts system.

I find it interesting that a lot are writing Jagga off because of his size. Considering the trend being towards fleet of foot and fast hands midfielders. Tackling and holding the ball changes seem to have benefited them.
The top 10 in the AFL coaches award are;
Naicos, Cripps, Heeney, Serong, Neale, Bont, Guilden, Treloar, Merrett and Warner.

The only 2 above 185cm are Bont and Cripps.
Neale, Serong, Treloar, Merrett in particular are small inside mids with fast hands and feet. If anything I would say that is exactly the type of mid we need. A clearance player with fast hands, good vision, able to create space but also able to link up in general play.
I'd still take Draper ahead of him as he seems a better two way player and better by foot but think Jagga would still suit our midfield very nicely if Draper is gone.

Richmond is only able to play these kids as what they call the 23rd man because due to injury, they do not have enough players to field a VFL side. Not mentioned in the news article.
Good thing for all teams to get a look at them against men anyway. Still weird they can call up the best kids. Go get some ammo players like the WA and SA teams have to.

Agree with the other call, align the Coates league teams to the stand alone VFL teams.

Will be interesting to see if we go down this route with our future NGAs and FS like the Crows did with Welsh. Seems to have fallen in the rankings due to playing against men every week (didn’t have a great carnival either) but you’d think his long term development would be far better.

Not sure how his training worked, arranging their study classes around Eagles AFL training sessions? ect.

What local talents could we get with our later picks, there is quite alot of late talent coming through our WAFL colts system.
Not sure if they'll go too late in the draft but Luke Urquhart, kayle gerreyn and Hamish Davis all go ok

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have Moraes at 18. Reality his range is probably 14 to 24. Other well respected draft watchers have him at 30, some in early teens. He is a very hard one to assess.
I think I heard that he's rated higher than that on talent by his peers. Obviously they could be wrong, but it's an interesting observation.

Our reserves went through a similar thing last year. We weren’t able to call up top-10 draft prospects, we got some East Freo reserves and enticed Schofield and Kane Mitchell out of retirement.
Richmond VFL is our reserves and presently are playing 8 players from Melbourne local leagues because they have no other option. They have been given dispensation as we could not drag anymore players away from our affiliates. It was just coincidence that Smith and O’Sullivan were 2 kids not in year 12 at school or we would not have been allowed to play them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond VFL is our reserves and presently are playing 8 players from Melbourne local leagues because they have no other option. They have been given dispensation as we could not drag anymore players away from our affiliates. It was just coincidence that Smith and O’Sullivan were 2 kids not in year 12 at school or we would not have been allowed to play them.
O'Sullivan was playing for Xavier this year...

Crows are going hard after Lukosius now, I reckon they’ll probably have to split their first for him and they are dumb enough to do it.

Might take them out of the Draper sweepstakes
Yeah, might take a F1 as Crows would bank themselves into having a good year and GC don’t need anymore points this year.

Maybe tied into the Richmond Rioli trade? Even more so if they are getting his money off the books.

But If I was I would be pushing for pick 4 and maybe the WB pick going back the other way. Depending where that lands. Get in front of the academy bid.
You

Honestly could be for the best - we will still need a ruck in my opinion, but English was piss poor against ROB yesterday

West Coast WAFL is our reserves and even with a relatively healthy injury list we regularly play that many players out of the local ammos. Last year we had so many injuries we were having to reschedule games, borrow players from the opposition etc.

I doubt we asked if we could play Curtin or Collard or any of the other prospective draft class, but I’m willing to bet on what the answer would have been if we had asked.

The good news is we will have a choice out of two of Smillie, Smith, Draper, and FOS. If anyone else is good enough as a mid to push themselves into that group then we've got even more options.

EDIT: Should say i have never seen any of them play, but they seem to be consensus top midfield grouping.

Is Smillie explosive? Worried he's just excelled due to his size and when he gets to AFL that wont mean as much. Needs to have burst too.

Honestly could be for the best - we will still need a ruck in my opinion, but English was piss poor against ROB yesterday

I've talked myself into English as he's exponentially better than B WIlliams and Flynn (partly due to unavailability), but i've never rated him as a top level ruck. Could survive missing out on him, but would like another decent ruck option.

I've talked myself into English as he's exponentially better than B WIlliams and Flynn (partly due to unavailability), but i've never rated him as a top level ruck. Could survive missing out on him, but would like another decent ruck option.
Yep same here

Crows are going hard after Lukosius now, I reckon they’ll probably have to split their first for him and they are dumb enough to do it.

Might take them out of the Draper sweepstakes

Hope they don't trade away the picks they were gonna offer for Rotham.

Let's be honest. Any ruck is exponentially better than B Williams. As bad as our ruck situation is I'm glad if we miss out on English so we don't overpay for a guy who barely shows up unless it's all going his way...which would be almost never if he plays with us over the next couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back