List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:

Trew for me is built for a really nice WAFL career. He has AFL calibre work rate, he crashes in, tries his guts out…but he’s just not very…good. Terrifying with the footy in hand. But ****, does he try harder than half of them.

H. Brayshaw areas. If we give him a year on the main list, I’m fine with it. I just don’t have a lot of hope that the skills will ever get to a level where we can capitalise on the doggedness.

Baker, simply haven’t seen enough of to say but that worries me in and of itself.

Sheed, Darling, Jamo would all be gone if they were out of contract this year. They’re not, so I’m just showing how easy it is to make 8-10 changes without even needing to do anything remotely creative.

We won’t be starved of turnover, that’s for sure.

He is literally the best by hand in our entire side. How are you still running with this do you have eyes :tearsofjoy:

His kicking is a real worry to me. The Alesana wrap ups of his game have some disposals that terrify me. St Kilda game a good starting place.

Also has a good disposal in him, but the gulf between the best and worst is stark.

I won’t mind if we keep him on the list and give another coach a look at him, but he just looks like the classic too good for WAFL, not good enough for AFL type to me.

Yes, I'd also encourage everyone to go watch that video. Spoiled alert, Badge didn't watch past the opening 10 seconds.

Wasn’t sold on Carroll today. Although he’s probably current best 22 for us, he looks like the sort of serviceable player you don’t really want in your best 22 when you’re contending.

Would rather Garcia, Peatling or even Dev if we were going for opposition fringe players.
Was clean when he got his chances. He is a cba player but didn’t get to play there. Would 100% be best 23 for us atm and we’d take that.

Agreed those 3 above him but with our turnover need and need for mids I’d take all 4.

If Cripps was going to retire he would have done it today

It's about time some of these blokes learn that it's actually not their choice when they retire. We've paid out contracts before, never has there been a better case to do so again than passing on Jamie Cripps in his 33rd year of life. 250 games and a "legacy player" farewell is a pretty good deal. He's capable of being among our best out there, and would remain so until he's 45. It's the blocks of games in between where it kills you. For every vintage Jamie Cripps match we'll get next season the cost is basically 10 AFL games into any one of a dozen 1st-4th year players. It's an incredibly high price.

Yes, I'd also encourage everyone to go watch that video. Spoiled alert, Badge didn't watch past the opening 10 seconds.
Mate I don’t know what your hard on for me is about, but probably settle down hey? I’m a married man.

Handballs too far in front of, or behind his target plenty, and every single kick for the game was a turnover. Capable of doing some good stuff too - his play of the season is in this, when he bounces off a huge hit and uncorks a ripper of a handball.

I’m not trying to bury the boy and say he’s an absolute spud. He’s close to the hardest worker over the last month or so. He clearly desperately wants to impact the game. I just don’t think he’s reliable with ball in hand, and fits the classic mold of too good for WAFL, not good enough for AFL.

He’s not alone in using the footy poorly, certainly wasn’t in that Saints game, but I’d challenge anyone to watch that clip and say he’s the best user in our team.

He is literally the best by hand in our entire side. How are you still running with this do you have eyes :tearsofjoy:
Nevermind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn’t sold on Carroll today. Although he’s probably current best 22 for us, he looks like the sort of serviceable player you don’t really want in your best 22 when you’re contending.

Would rather Garcia, Peatling or even Dev if we were going for opposition fringe players.
Dunno what the obsession is with getting guys like Carroll and dev in. We need to churn the fat on our list and get more youth in, some will hit and some won't, but these handy downs from other clubs is wasting time on known quantities.

If we bring in an abundance of these types we're just striving for long term mediocrity (stkilda areas of list management).

Ps. I'm not against bringing in young players from oppo clubs , but it has to be for kids with untapped potential who havent quite hit yet for whatever reasons (ala buss this year was a good candidate given his non exposure at afl level)

How would people feel if we offered Melbourne pick 3 for Petracca?

EDIT - I probably should wait a day or so after a loss like today to cool down before posting regarding trades etc...
Fantastic player but he'll be 29 next year

Mate I don’t know what your hard on for me is about, but probably settle down hey? I’m a married man.

Handballs too far in front of, or behind his target plenty, and every single kick for the game was a turnover. Capable of doing some good stuff too - his play of the season is in this, when he bounces off a huge hit and uncorks a ripper of a handball.

I’m not trying to bury the boy and say he’s an absolute spud. He’s close to the hardest worker over the last month or so. He clearly desperately wants to impact the game. I just don’t think he’s reliable with ball in hand, and fits the classic mold of too good for WAFL, not good enough for AFL.

He’s not alone in using the footy poorly, certainly wasn’t in that Saints game, but I’d challenge anyone to watch that clip and say he’s the best user in our team.

Nevermind.

I've got a hard on for Trew not you, he comes from the same junior side as I did. Sorry but Gingers kinda gross me out so you've got nothing to worry about there, there's something about not having a soul that unsettles me about you guys ;)

We've gone over the video before that's why I'm surprised you're sticking to your guns. He had 17 possessions 14 handballs missed one because Jack Williams didn't stick his mitts out as it shaved his dick then hit the saints bloke on the other side of the pack, the rest hit their target. And the 3 kicks were to 50/50's. The past 2 weeks he's kicked some classy goals and been even better by hand. Had very low output today but appears pretty obvious he was tasked with a shut down on Cripps [that he hadn't prepared for pre game] in the second half but started strong with 4 clearances early.

Can anyone other than Badge make an honest case for a player on our list with better hands than Trew? Harley maybe?

Can anyone other than Badge make an honest case for a player on our list with better hands than Trew? Harley maybe?
Long and Johnston. Would also have Maric and Archer Reid up there in spite of their size.

Is Jagga the biggest clearance player/ball pig in the draft?

He may not be the player I want but he probably is the player we need, if that's the case.

He’s an incredible extractor, he’s very Butters like with how evasive he is at the coal face.

Smillie is the best pure contested / battering ram inside mid but is extremely limited outside of stoppages and has a big advantage over kids he plays against due to his size.

Jagga 42ds and 1 goal today apparently.
Yes, also Murray had a day out with Murphy kicking 6 goals, Jack Whitlock kicking 5 and Matt Whitlock kicking 4 goals.
Taura went forward for the Power and kicked 3 goals and Stobie had 30 disposals and kicked 2 goals.
And Ashcroft had 46 disposals, Reid had 39 disposals and Trainor had 33 disposals and 10 marks for the Dragons.

Long and Johnston. Would also have Maric and Archer Reid up there in spite of their size.

No bad, I'd agree Johnston is good by hand have definitely noticed that. He's a bit loopy though so doesn't necessarily buy the receiving player a lot of time. Long can't remember and not sure what we're going to do with him once he's back. Maric good at everything really but I don't think his hands are as quick as Trews, good as they are. Archer Reid, interesting. You can add Brockman to the list of guys at another level by hand compared to our veterans who are all pretty terrible.

I just think it's an area of competency where we've fallen far behind the rest of the comp as we basically have a core group of older players who are diabolical by hand. You could probably say most of the players drafted in the past couple of years are far better in this area. Its not like I want Trew to be the best player in the side, I want us to be elite moving the ball by hand and that requires being able to strong a whole chain of players together to move the ball fast and accurately to eventually get to the outside.

Dunno what the obsession is with getting guys like Carroll and dev in. We need to churn the fat on our list and get more youth in, some will hit and some won't, but these handy downs from other clubs is wasting time on known quantities.

If we bring in an abundance of these types we're just striving for long term mediocrity (stkilda areas of list management).

Ps. I'm not against bringing in young players from oppo clubs , but it has to be for kids with untapped potential who havent quite hit yet for whatever reasons (ala buss this year was a good candidate given his non exposure at afl level)
We likely delist a heap of known spuds in their mid 20s and older this year.
We wont have 8 draft picks to replace them all. A few players in their 20s with higher upside than what we have delisted and who play more suitable roles (Like an inside mid perhaps) will be required.

We already have half the list 22 and under, take away 8 players over 22 and only use the draft to replenish then we have 75% of the list 23 and under.
Thats North territory.

We need better role players traded in from other clubs, and find stars in the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back