List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
We literally have 3 mids in our starting rotation.

Hell, even Schofield and Brayshaw couldn't name more than that tonight.

Too many mids? WTF.

We're playing HBFs/HFFs in there because we don't have enough.

All we currently have is Reid, Yeo and Kelly and Kelly should be playing HFF himself.

We don't have any actual wingers, we have Reid and Yeo doing the heavy lifting and Kelly playing a role he's ultimately not suited for.

How anyone can look at our list and think we don't need top end mids is completely beyond me.
If we were to add in a Peatling/Dev type next year, thats 4. Add Hewett rotating in thats 5. Add Hall who will look for game time more next year is 6. Kelly can still rotate in and out is 7. Hutchinson maybe?? is 8.

yes we arent over stocked but we have numbers IF we trade in someone and get healthy. An extra year into the younger guys means theyre more capable of taking more responsibility too.

If we draft Lindsay thats 1 wing sorted, Maric/Duggan/whoever can be the other

Most teams only bring 3-4 pure mids into any game, the rest all have to have another role

Richmond still need to stagger their kids, otherwise theyll ALL be coming out of their first contracts at the same time, itd be a nightmare to manage their salary cap.

Tassy is 2028 I believe, 2024, 2025, 2026 are the drafts for the Tigers to use, not really a huge rush to do it all this year

I don't think adding 1 more player for them unbalances their list. They probably already plan on getting 2 first rounders from Freo for Bolton and could easily miss that. But in any case they will take a bunch of kids and the higher those kids are drafted the better for them. I'd be more concerned about how they are going to meet the salary cap next year when they have no players, than I'd be in 3 years time if every one of their picks becomes a player that needs to be paid 1 million a season.

Yes, we know we have pick 3 this year. we know that Richmond will have pick 1-3 next year. Ergo, calculated risk to even break even or improve our position. The idea that the actual risk is that Richmond rise up the ladder and don't even finish bottom 5 next year, after finishing last then gutting their list of 5+ best 22, retiring veterans and replacing them all with 18 years olds is among the most unlikely things that could ever happen in football. They are taking a historic approach to ensure to virtually guarantee they can't be a competitive side next year.

I think most understand the risk you are proposing, we just don’t like it.

We need talent in now (and next year) - so a big no to trading out of the early parts of this draft.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we were to add in a Peatling/Dev type next year, thats 4. Add Hewett rotating in thats 5. Add Hall who will look for game time more next year is 6. Kelly can still rotate in and out is 7. Hutchinson maybe?? is 8.

yes we arent over stocked but we have numbers IF we trade in someone and get healthy. An extra year into the younger guys means theyre more capable of taking more responsibility too.

If we draft Lindsay thats 1 wing sorted, Maric/Duggan/whoever can be the other

Most teams only bring 3-4 pure mids into any game, the rest all have to have another role
While we have picks at the pointy end, I want another elite midfielder.

Hewett's got no guarantees his foot will let him be a top end mid.

Dev is a plodder who may have an impact at AFL level for us(if we even get him). Would play a defensive role, I imagine, like Redden.

Peatling is good, no guarantees he comes to us.

Hutchinson's played half a game as a mid. Looked very good, hope he trains there over summer but it's a very small sample size.

Hall can't kick for shit. Good size to play the extractor role though. Keep him as far from the wing role as possible.

Kelly should be an outside receiver. Disposal is shocking under pressure(shocking under no pressure recently also).

Duggan needs to seriously work on his kicking if he's to play a role on the wing.

Maric looks ok on the wing. Would like to see him base his game off Sicily though. Played back before his draft year, so it's not unfamiliar territory for him.

Yeo - Old.

Need someone elite to pair up with Reid at centre bounces and any of the top 5 rated kids in the draft look likely types, all with different strings to their bows.

Tom Delonge Wtf GIF by Justin

Could be Darling looking around if he knows hes only got 1 year left at west coast with almost no chance of an extension.

We would get **** all for him, may as well keep him around as an experienced player in the WAFL. But if he wants to go I wouldnt stop him either.
That is what the situation will be. The club won’t push him out for the sake of a late third rounder, but he won’t be best 22 next year and won’t get another contract so if he wants to extend his career then I doubt anyone would stand in his way.

A late pick for Darling might be enough to land one of the fringe guys we like without having to split or trade down. Or if this draft is as deep as they say perhaps there will be some genuine talent available late.

Darling has been a champion player for us so I’d be happy for him to go and push for some extra games and success elsewhere if that’s what he wants.

So do the crows rate Draper or Sharpe more

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well, they could conceivably end up with Draper this year simply by doing nothing.

Highly unlikely they end up with Sharpe next year, unless it all goes to complete shit for them.

While we have picks at the pointy end, I want another elite midfielder.

Hewett's got no guarantees his foot will let him be a top end mid.

Dev is a plodder who may have an impact at AFL level for us(if we even get him). Would play a defensive role, I imagine, like Redden.

Peatling is good, no guarantees he comes to us.

Hutchinson's played half a game as a mid. Looked very good, hope he trains there over summer but it's a very small sample size.

Hall can't kick for shit. Good size to play the extractor role though. Keep him as far from the wing role as possible.

Kelly should be an outside receiver. Disposal is shocking under pressure(shocking under no pressure recently also).

Duggan needs to seriously work on his kicking if he's to play a role on the wing.

Maric looks ok on the wing. Would like to see him base his game off Sicily though. Played back before his draft year, so it's not unfamiliar territory for him.

Yeo - Old.

Need someone elite to pair up with Reid at centre bounces and any of the top 5 rated kids in the draft look likely types, all with different strings to their bows.

Maric surely has to play the Witherden role next year.

Taller, faster, better kick. He’s competitive and keeps trying, hasn’t proven he’ll sit in the hole and be as tough as Witherden has been this year - but hasn’t shown anything to say he wouldn’t or couldn’t do that.

One of his issues is production (welcome to the Eagles!), but HBF distributor improves that a lot.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, maybe at worst it is pick 3. But it could be pick 1 or 2. And there is some chance if it's not pick 1 that means we might of beaten them to the spoon so that's fine. Very low risk of backfiring against a team that finished last and retiring 3 premiership players, selling their best player, selling their probably 2024 club champ and selling to us multiple best 22 players. Just how badly would things have to go for us or North, or any club that finished Adelaide or above, to finish bellow Richmond next year? And the OP was talking about Sharp being a clear #1 prospect in the mould of Harley Reid.

If we take 5 kids in the draft this year and 5 next year, by 2030 does it really matter if we take pick 3 this year of 2 pick in the top 5 next year? It depends entirely on who you drafted not where or when you drafted them. And as I said, good luck to any 18 year old being starting midfield next year competing for a spot with Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Graham [who we are trading in to play defensive mid it seems] and either of Baker or Duggan. Oh and there's a kid by the name of Hewitt wanting into that mix as well.
Simply too much risk of this failing bro. Aint no way recruiters put themselves on the chopping block for this. Aint no way I would. Love the creativity but safe option, get top end talent in now.

JFC I take a break from one of the busiest days of the year and roll into this crap.
We're trading #3 and #23 for Baker and Richmond's F1st apparently, because it's a 60% chance of getting us #1 next year, which is an amazing play, supposedly.

Who needs draftees this year anyway? Certainly not WCE!

JFC I take a break from one of the busiest days of the year and roll into this crap.

Phil if I'm not mistaken haven't you said you are not a fan of all of these kids everyone is frothing on and proposed that there were scenarios where we don't have pick 3 either?

Very simply, do you see us playing pick 3 in their position in the best 22 next year? Just curious. I don't really give a shit who we draft I usually wait and see who we pick and then let confirmation bias allow me to believe we've got the best 5 kids in the whole draft.

What specifically would you hate about taking 1 and 3 next year and 12 and 13 this year? Would there be no worthwhile picks with upside in that 1-15 range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back