List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah has to be, the Eagles statement yesterday seemed clear we were going to accept a first rounder wherever it may land and a ****ing spud that's about to be delisted...
You gotta read between the lines here:

"We will endeavour to meet Tom's request"
-Accept unders if need be to get the trade done.

"The clubs best interest"
-The player group feelings come first but we want to appear professional.

"Pick 43 in 2013"
-We don't rate high picks because any 3rd rounder can produce a star B&F winner

There are obviously other factors at play.

He literally had a near death experience from a work related injury. Club medico's didnt do so well.

He has had alot of time lying in bed in alot of pain. Alot of pain.

And I would suggest he came to the conclusion that due to all the other reasons. Off field. Drug use. Lack of effort. Etc. He came to the conclusion Im not putting my body on the line again for this club and this group of unprofessional party boys.

It isnt hard to understand really.
I for one look forward to the tell all article about Melbourne at some stage.

They are in the pre-2007 blow up that the Eagles were in.

Just so much smoke and stories around the traps that you know it's all going to blow up at some stage. For those old enough to remember, being out in Perth in those 2000-2007 years you'd see plenty of Eagles players off their chops, and the stories about Benny Cousins/Gardiner especially were everywhere.

Club and media buried their heads in the sand until they couldn't anymore.

Last edited:

Every club would have its share of play hard party hard types though. As well as the opposite. All types to succeed and blah blah.

I agree that any deal over 4 years is pure folly and not something smart clubs should entertain.

Petracca would improve our list✅️ but I wouldn't hold my breath hoping he would move.
Leave it to the Melbourne based clubs circle jerk while we go about our business.
Oh. If your post also suggested that we trade for Petracca then no, that’s batshit crazy.

So is dbg an upgrade to harry edwards/bazzo?

Has been a complete bust of a pick by the Hawks and would hold currently no value whatsoever and is more than likely delisted end of the season.

There are obviously other factors at play.

He literally had a near death experience from a work related injury. Club medico's didnt do so well.

He has had alot of time lying in bed in alot of pain. Alot of pain.

And I would suggest he came to the conclusion that due to all the other reasons. Off field. Drug use. Lack of effort. Etc. He came to the conclusion Im not putting my body on the line again for this club and this group of unprofessional party boys.

It isnt hard to understand really.

From a few mates close with the Dees and semi-involved in the club (not trying to claim I'm ITK or anything just passing on general vibes) the issue is way less that he's annoyed at the club and more that he's made the annoyance about him and not the club.

I love when good players get angry at their club's standards when they think those around them should be doing better than they are - sounds like the reaction Viney in particular has had internally and I wish there was more of that at West Coast the last few years. However the friction with Petracca seems to be that it wasn't like he'd been voicing that all season and then got fed up when nobody listened - he's had these reasons building up and decided he wants out rather than grinding them out. The whole 'only wanting to play for a big club' thing, if true, does make it feel like it's all about Christian Petracca.

Compare it with Jake Waterman (and obviously different situations) but he had a hospital-related issue that it sounds like the club didn't do great by him with, is obviously someone who trains to extract the best out of himself and seems like he'd also get angry at complacency, but who has been paid a lot less than Petracca (probably rightfully so up to this point), hasn't won a premiership with us and probably owes the club less. Would have his own suitors, Melbourne included, but at least verbally has stated he wants to grind things out with us and have the rewards of making it out the other side.

I know you were more saying we don't know all the factors rather than actually suggesting we trade for him but just as a general point, I feel like we're in need of better leadership, standards and a bit of anger for the club's sake from the playing group just as much as we are in need of some talent in the door. He would probably be great at a team like Geelong who have all the standards and could handle a player who was a bit me-first if they were as talented as Petracca but for us I want more players prepared to grind.

Has been a complete bust of a pick by the Hawks and would hold currently no value whatsoever and is more than likely delisted end of the season.
This. Just because he’s from WA and a high draft pick it doesn’t mean we should be throwing away list spots when he’s done nothing to suggest he’s worthy of one short of a solitary game swung forward in the VFL.

Happy to give him a massive running program and have him train with the squad over summer and leave a list spot open for SSP. Gives him 3 months to show whether he has the ability and hunger or not and we can observe him properly to make an informed decision. Can’t see him surviving at the Hawks with Barrass and Battle coming in and Frost, McCabe, Serong and Blanck on the list.

From a few mates close with the Dees and semi-involved in the club (not trying to claim I'm ITK or anything just passing on general vibes) the issue is way less that he's annoyed at the club and more that he's made the annoyance about him and not the club.

I love when good players get angry at their club's standards when they think those around them should be doing better than they are - sounds like the reaction Viney in particular has had internally and I wish there was more of that at West Coast the last few years. However the friction with Petracca seems to be that it wasn't like he'd been voicing that all season and then got fed up when nobody listened - he's had these reasons building up and decided he wants out rather than grinding them out. The whole 'only wanting to play for a big club' thing, if true, does make it feel like it's all about Christian Petracca.

Compare it with Jake Waterman (and obviously different situations) but he had a hospital-related issue that it sounds like the club didn't do great by him with, is obviously someone who trains to extract the best out of himself and seems like he'd also get angry at complacency, but who has been paid a lot less than Petracca (probably rightfully so up to this point), hasn't won a premiership with us and probably owes the club less. Would have his own suitors, Melbourne included, but at least verbally has stated he wants to grind things out with us and have the rewards of making it out the other side.

I know you were more saying we don't know all the factors rather than actually suggesting we trade for him but just as a general point, I feel like we're in need of better leadership, standards and a bit of anger for the club's sake from the playing group just as much as we are in need of some talent in the door. He would probably be great at a team like Geelong who have all the standards and could handle a player who was a bit me-first if they were as talented as Petracca but for us I want more players prepared to grind.

I agree he doesn't sound like he is pushing hard to benefit the team or club.

And I never considered him a possibility for any team outside of Melbourne the city.

But we don't know it all. Only he does.

You gotta read between the lines here:

"We will endeavour to meet Tom's request"
-Accept unders if need be to get the trade done.

"The clubs best interest"
-The player group feelings come first but we want to appear professional.

"Pick 43 in 2013"
-We don't rate high picks because any 3rd rounder can produce a star B&F winner
“Tom”
-Stands for ‘Trade overs to Mitchell’. Smh they’ve revealed everything.

You’ve got to read even more between the lines and you’ll get the true picture, it’s the notes they’re not playing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jon “the truck”Ralph now trying to link us with Brandan Parfitt from Geelong

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’d imagine the same way as geelong did when they refused our offer the first year…..
Tom has said himself he lack motivation after winning the flag. I think he might not go into next season firing on all cylinders if he's still here
Besides that this is our best opportunity to really turbo charge our rebuild

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking at what we played this year, with players in red that are midfield/flanker types it looks like we need to find ~103 games from new/existing players

NameGamesAverage
Alex Witherden
18​
17.11​
Andrew Gaff
5​
15.6​
Dominic Sheed
8​
12.12​
Jamaine Jones
11​
11.27​
Luke Edwards
12​
10.83​
Jack Petruccelle
16​
10.69​
Zane Trew
7​
10​
Jai Culley
3​
9.33​
Tyler Brockman
10​
8.4​
Josh Rotham
13​
8.23​

Add in:
~20 from no. 3 pick
~12 additional games from Clay Hall (takes him to 15 for season)
~15 Jack Graham (Free agent)
~15 Brendan Parfitt (Free agent)
You get to 62 games. Still need to find a lot more games so picking up Graham and Parfitt for free seems to make sense if they are fit and healthy, as they won't be curtailing kids games. Can even add in Peatling for 20 games and still have plenty of games left over.

That doesn't even account for injuries / players missing games.

“Tom”
-Stands for ‘Trade overs to Mitchell’. Smh they’ve revealed everything.

You’ve got to read even more between the lines and you’ll get the true picture, it’s the notes they’re not playing!

But I can listen to those at home

I for one look forward to the tell all article about Melbourne at some stage.

They are in the pre-2007 blow up that the Eagles were in.

Just so much smoke and stories around the traps that you know it's all going to blow up at some stage. For those old enough to remember, being out in Perth in those 2000-2007 years you'd see plenty of Eagles players off their chops, and the stories about Benny Cousins/Gardiner especially were everywhere.

Club and media buried their heads in the sand until they couldn't anymore.
Fish rots from the head. That's all I'll say

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m sad to lose Barrass, I’ve really enjoyed watching him either smash or intercept countless incoming footballs into oblivion over the years. He was BOG for us in a few games I watched at Optus this year, by my reckoning.

I understand it is prudent and probably win-win that Barrass gets more cash & WCE banks a good draft haul for the rebuild, and we also have a great up-and-comer in H Edwards, but I will miss him.

Suggestions to also trade Waterman are pretty funny, yeah let’s snuff out another one of the few rays of sunshine we’ve had this year while we’re at it. The concept of dividends is lost on some stuck in the binary world of buy & sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back