List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.

So the only way we get Lalor, Travaglia and Bo Allen is with a TB trade or future picks traded.

Do not want to trade our F1st.

Sounds like pick purchasing could be on the cards this year. Think I'd prefer we bought a pick over taking what FAs are on the market right now.

Has anyone speculated as to what that might look like from a salary cap to pick value comparison yet?

Calm down.

Sharpe was described to me by the SA and Vic C u/16 coaches as on JHF/Reid's level middle of last year when he took apart VIC C's 16's side and they went down by 15 goals.

He's had a pretty decent carnival for an underager, but nothing unprecedented, Smillie had a decent one last year also. Finn Callaghan was an AA, as was Ashcroft, as was Harley the year prior.

He was one of my smokies for the Larke a few months ago, but probably hasn't had that impact.

He most certainly is not Tom Green and he's not Wardlaw from an athletic point of view. Both of these guys are just about unicorns from a physical point of view.

I'd argue athleticism would be one of Sharpe's criticisms at the moment.
Sharp can accumulate and never gets taken to the ground/gets his hands free. That's tom green?

Sounds like pick purchasing could be on the cards this year. Think I'd prefer we bought a pick over taking what FAs are on the market right now.

Has anyone speculated as to what that might look like from a salary cap to pick value comparison yet?
I think they said that won’t come in for a little while do to the complexity.

Not taking the piss they actually used the word complex again. Must be a Laura directive.

I think they said that won’t come in for a little while do to the complexity.

Not taking the piss they actually used the word complex again. Must be a Laura directive.

I had seen it mentioned in amongst the trading of picks two years ahead that it could be active from this year's trade period.

Who knows with the AFL. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see more options offered with minimal time to consider outcomes.

So I’ve just been passed some information from a Melbourne based recruiter and currently:

-Unlikely top 5 picks will be traded, only Lions and Suns depending on F/S and NGA rules are likely to trade high selections
-Travaglia has a lot of interest recently and is valued around late 1R, with Eagles very interested along with the Bombers, Suns and Crows
-Tigers have put a lot of work into Trainor and could select him at 2

Sharp can accumulate and never gets taken to the ground/gets his hands free. That's tom green?

Tom Green is 6"5 though, I think it's an unrealistic comparison.

A 188cm Matt Rowell might be a better one, even then, Rowell tested well for speed.

They are both freaklishly strong, like Reid was. So from a Rowell perspective, I think you can honestly have the link between the two in that regard.

It's a bit of a watch in regards to Sharpe and probably one of the reasons limiting me putting him in that top bracket of top prospects from the last decade vs simply a normal #1 pick chance at the minute.

The SA clubs have been preparing for him for a while, but I have tempered expectations on him just a little bit since the u/16's carnival.

He is awesome. Breakaway pick 1. Theres a reason our first is do not touch because of him. Sam Lalor is a rung down from him that's how good Dyson is

At worst you get Tom Green but with maniac defensive pressure (think Wardlaw). He's somebody you build around.

And IMO the missing piece to a dynasty midfield setup
Getting a bit carried away. He’s looks a good prospect for sure but it’s a long way till Oct 2025. There are other good prospects in that age group too.

Sid Draper was SA best last year pretty clearly and he’s looking top 10 this year to put it in perspective.

The barrass stuff is odd given he knocked back other clubs less than a year ago.

It's either all BS, or his manager has seen Yeo get his way and is now using the media to sweeten the deal for TB.

I'm not extending him knowing he has a back issue, nor am I trading him for less than a godfather offer.
I don't understand this - sweeten what deal? He has 3 years to run on his long term deal?

Putting aside some offer way too good to refuse, the only bit of logic I see in TB going is it should hasten the development of our next KPD.

This season we’ve tried playing three KPDs. But it’s only been occasionally and it’s not always the same guy. Hardly good for KPD development or team balance.

We’re stacked with KPFs but light on at the other end. I don’t see the current system of occasionally playing HEd (or Jamo) as a good development strategy.

And while Bazzo will probably be a useful addition I’m not sure he’ll ever have the size to be KPD.

At the start of the season I suggested Gov and TB should only play say 17 games each thus allowing our potential KPDs a good run at it (which might also mean squeezing an extra season out of TB or Gov).

I’m sure they’ve got ‘niggles’ or we simply ‘manage’ them. And yes it might cost a game. But their careers could be over very quickly and yet so far we’ve got nothing close to adequate replacements.

So I’ve just been passed some information from a Melbourne based recruiter and currently:

-Unlikely top 5 picks will be traded, only Lions and Suns depending on F/S and NGA rules are likely to trade high selections
-Travaglia has a lot of interest recently and is valued around late 1R, with Eagles very interested along with the Bombers, Suns and Crows
-Tigers have put a lot of work into Trainor and could select him at 2
So basically juddy presents number 3 to FOS on draft night, I like it.

Hearing gc will offer both firsts to Richmond for roili, Richmond would be dumb to knock that back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TB’s current contract to 2027 was signed in late 2021.

There’s two things that are relevant here.

Firstly, the salary cap has increased significantly since 2021 and to an extent that would not have been anticipated at the time

Secondly, it’s well known we don’t include escalation clauses in our player contracts tied to increases in the salary cap

So what might have looked like a lucrative contract in 2021 is probably unders and will be for the next 3 years

Can’t blame Barrass looking for an increase given his importance to the side and by extension his manager using trade rumours to help negotiations

I doubt he wants to leave but it’s a job and he’s entitled to get the best deal he can

We shouldn’t be offering more than 3 years though as he turns 32 in 2027 and he has a known back injury. Maybe add a trigger clause to extend into 2028

Tom Green is 6"5 though, I think it's an unrealistic comparison.

A 188cm Matt Rowell might be a better one, even then, Rowell tested well for speed.
Matt Rowell is 180cm. He hasn’t grown since his draft year.
They are both freaklishly strong, like Reid was. So from a Rowell perspective, I think you can honestly have the link between the two in that regard.

It's a bit of a watch in regards to Sharpe and probably one of the reasons limiting me putting him in that top bracket of top prospects from the last decade vs simply a normal #1 pick chance at the minute.

The SA clubs have been preparing for him for a while, but I have tempered expectations on him just a little bit since the u/16's carnival.

Knowing our age bracket of our key def stocks, I wouldnt mind giving this guy a chance if TB leaves.
4 years in the PTA system, Perth boy as well. Worth at least a look at the WAFL Eagles?

would be surprised if Burgiel has been offered a contract extension

Had some injury issues but his pace and skills coming out of the backline are what we need.
Would be disappointed if we cut him

I don't understand this - sweeten what deal? He has 3 years to run on his long term deal?
If reports are to be believed he wants 5 years. He will know given his back issue that there's a danger his career is over after the 3rd year, so locking in the $$ of 5 years gives him security. Im sure his preference will be for that to be at west coast.

If reports are to be believed he wants 5 years. He will know given his back issue that there's a danger his career is over after the 3rd year, so locking in the $$ of 5 years gives him security. Im sure his preference will be for that to be at west coast.

Lol there's no way he'd be lasting five more years, especially with his injury history. Our players tend to fall off a cliff after 30 as it is, let alone his back problems, but if other clubs are willing to offer him that then who are we to stop him from wanting to explore options elsewhere.

AFL central said John Ralph reported that the suns are willing to use 2 first round picks to get Rioli
But you missed the point that depending on the academy rules, points in Tigers later picks would go back to the Suns

Also stated it would be the lesser of their R1 plus the pick 20 the got from North

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back