List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys I'm legit concerned.

I think Tim Kelly is showing his age. And so is Elliot Yeo.

We need to draft players who can replace them.

The question is: When the ball is on the deck who do we trust???

Ginbey does not do it for me in terms of inside mid capabilities.

Is Elijah Hewitt capable of doing it? He seems like an outside player.

Untested Clay hall?????

Hence, It's official we need to look at Sam Lalor or Sid Draper
We need Sam Lalor and Sid Draper and Finn O''Sullivan and Chad Warner

And that would be just a start

This is the issue with us having a stand alone wafl team. Why Pyke hasn't canned it is beyond me.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'd say probably because King Nizzy did some irrepairable damage to West Coast's relationships with other WAFL clubs that none of them want to align with us. Which leaves us with two options stay with current team and ask for same concessions as Freo with Peel or join the VFL

Is the Allies MVP surely, & one who has definitely peaked at the right time. However I think he's just about maxed out and will be overtaken by a lot of the Vic boys in the long run.

Plus of course academy & FS tend to slide a little.
They slide due to clubs for whatever reason not bidding on them.

Lombard is AFL ready now, both him and Ashcroft are Cleary top 2 right now on the body of work they have put in. Both safe bets and ultra professional. However no one talks about them because they aren’t in the open pool.

They may or may not end up the best of the draft class but they are safe picks.Its still 3-4 months to go so this may change but if the draft was tonight I’d take Lombard at pick 3 quite happily.

Our defenders apart from Gov and Tommy are so bad

The best is Hough and Duggan when he is playing back there

Tom Cole is a b minus at best as never got better
Witherden been better this year but is still a C grader
Rotham hopefully will take free agency some where else

I would honestly be giving Baker a few games now and see if he can develop at a higher level

Same with Burgiel give them a game and see if they can show something for us
cant be worst than above

I would honestly be giving Baker a few games now and see if he can develop at a higher level

cant be worst than above
Clay hall too. We need to see what they've got
Totally 👍

Let’s discuss our draftees over the last 2 years. We have H Reid, A Reid, hall, Johnston, Rawlinson, Livingstone, Gibney, hewett, burgiel, Barnett, long, dewar and baker. Thoughts on this ‘haul’ over the last 2 years and I think the cat b boys we have will develop especially dewar and Livingstone. Any misses?

Let’s discuss our draftees over the last 2 years. We have H Reid, A Reid, hall, Johnston, Rawlinson, Livingstone, Gibney, hewett, burgiel, Barnett, long, dewar and baker. Thoughts on this ‘haul’ over the last 2 years and I think the cat b boys we have will develop especially dewar and Livingstone. Any misses?
Long and Reid are the only that you would give a tick to. A Reid is too raw to really give anything. Hewett has not had a fair go of it yet. Ginbey is tracking as a bust for me. Don't know what he is out there to do, don't know what he's actually got to offer because he just shows no glipse of it. Compared to Long, he shows traits of being a clean, smart and precise player from a sample size. Ginbey has just existed. Could argue that nobody knows where to play him. But I think he's been thrown around, been given different roles all over the ground (except up forward). He's been given enough opportunities.

Last edited:
Long and Reid are the only that you would give a tick to. A Reid is too raw to really give anything. Hewett has not had a fair go of it yet. Ginbey is tracking as a bust for me. Don't know what he is out there to do, don't know what he's actually got to offer because he just shows no glipse of it. Compared to Long, he shows traits of being a clean, smart and precise player from a sample size. Ginbey has just existed. Could argue that nobody knows where to play him. But I think he's been thrown around, been given different roles all over the ground (except up forward). He's been given enough opportunities.
Disagree on Ginbey. Sure, he’s not tearing games apart, but he’s been solid in a position very few first and second year players have to play. Right in the guts and having to extract the ball.

The rest, it’s still to early to tell. Hewitt and Burgiel injured, many of the others first year rookies. I’d be happy with Reid being a star, potentially Hewitt, Ginbey and Long very good players, A. Reid hopefully a very good KPP, Hall a good foot soldier and Barnett a useful ruck. That would be a win.

Last edited:

cant be worst than above
So apart from having 1 All Australian quality defender in Gov, A good FB and then 3 good players in it it is bad?

As opposed to our midfield which has a total of "checks team sheet" 2 good players out of 10 in it.

We have many many problems. Pretending defense is one of them wont make the bigger ones disappear im afraid

Disagree on Ginbey. Sure, he’s not tearing games apart, but he’s been solid in a position very few first and second year players have to play. Right in the guts and having to extract the ball.

The rest, it’s still to early to tell. Hewitt and Burgirl injured, many of the others first year rookies. I’d be happy with Reid being a star, potentially Hewitt, Ginbey and Long very good players, A. Reid hopefully a very good KPP, Hall a good foot soldier and Barnett a useful ruck. That would be a win.
If Margot Robbie says yes to my marriage proposal that would be a win also. Like the above I dont think thats going to happen

A strong performance from Lalor who's still getting back to his best after his long injury layoff. He played through the midfield for most of the game with stints in the forward line and while he still lacks the tank to get to an many contests as you would like, he showed his ability to influence stoppage with his power and physicality. Up forward he was a dangerous marking target, and chipped in with three valuable goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly I think 3 of those players probably wont even be on our list next season in Rawlinson, Burgiel and Baker.

So yes, definetly a few misses

They slide due to clubs for whatever reason not bidding on them.

Lombard is AFL ready now, both him and Ashcroft are Cleary top 2 right now on the body of work they have put in. Both safe bets and ultra professional. However no one talks about them because they aren’t in the open pool.

They may or may not end up the best of the draft class but they are safe picks. Its still 3-4 months to go so this may change but if the draft was tonight I’d take Lombard at pick 3 quite happily.
Big Call!!

For me- he was better last year in the Talent League which is always a bad sign for development.
Is probably that safe second tier type of midfielder like a Callan Ward or Jack Redden rather than an absolute top liner that you would want with a top 3 pick.

Id prefer someone who has off the scale contested ability like Smillie, or a real smooth mover who can win their own ball too if I had the option. And this year I think we will see the best recruiters prove themselves.

If Margot Robbie says yes to my marriage proposal that would be a win also. Like the above I dont think thats going to happen
You don’t think Reid can be a star? Or Hewitt or Ginbey or Long can be very good? Hall and A.Reid are guesses but are both first year players so bit early to suggest they can’t be any good.

I didn’t even mention Rawlinson or Baker or Johnston as they could easily be busts.

Was simply an average outside leaning player in 2021.
You can say with hindsight about many players but I wouldn't have listed him then either.

School footy counts as zero considering how the few top players in it absolutely dominate in a mickey mouse comp.
Can’t agree with you although he is obviously a much better player now than in 2021. I watched Humphries a lot in PSA and WAFL footy over the last few years and at every level he played at he was the best kick on both feet and made players around him better. It’s no coincidence that his fellow backmen Zach Tuohy and Mitch Duncan have had their best games for Geelong in the last two weeks since he came into the team defence. I saw exactly the same thing happen in the Swan Districts league team last season. In saying that I’m sure that not getting selected in previous drafts motivated him to work harder, however it seems the Geelong recruitment team led by recruiting guru Stephen Wells recognised that improvement whilst Eagles list manager Rohan O’Brien and his team did not 🙂

Gee there's a few too many on here tough on Ginbey - he's a 20 yr old halfway through his 2nd year.
That's 2nd year when many suffer 2nd year blues.

This time last year we were singing his praises.

I think too many of you see glass half empty on a young kid.

Big Call!!

For me- he was better last year in the Talent League which is always a bad sign for development.
Is probably that safe second tier type of midfielder like a Callan Ward or Jack Redden rather than an absolute top liner that you would want with a top 3 pick.

Id prefer someone who has off the scale contested ability like Smillie, or a real smooth mover who can win their own ball too if I had the option. And this year I think we will see the best recruiters prove themselves.
No issue with different opinions mate just don’t see Lombard being a second tier midfielder.

Margot has read your Bigfooty posts and had sent me a PM to say that you are a pass

Last edited:
Gee there's a few too many on here tough on Ginbey - he's a 20 yr old halfway through his 2nd year.
That's 2nd year when many suffer 2nd year blues.

This time last year we were singing his praises.

I think too many of you see glass half empty on a young kid.

Ginbey in a half decent side would be getting praised for his performances.
Totally agree. Kid is doing just fine for a 2nd year player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back