List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 55 19.1%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 81 28.1%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 32 11.1%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 45 15.6%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 8 2.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft prospect video highlights by noobermensch

Wow, no Smilie

Don’t take to much notice of the AA Team selection, as you need to remover there are always agendas behind the individuals selected.
AFL’s obsession with all regions inclusivity prevails in the selection process.

By way of example pre the Allies there would always be a token Tasmanian, QLD, NSW and NT kid included if possible, often at the expense of a more deserving kid.

Also like the AFL AA side the rewarded players don’t always play in the positions that they are picked in.

So view the team selection, with a healthy grain of salt.

Massive trade and draft period for the club not least because we go into it with a new CEO, new List Manager, new Recruiting Manager and, at some point either just before or during, a new Coach

Pyke has stated more than once we intend to be aggressive using a combination of the three available levers of trade, draft and free agency. Simpson let slip just before his departure that as many as 10 players may be cut although I think that was a bit of a throwaway comment and don’t place much importance on it - doubt very much it’ll be that many

So what does being aggressive look like and how do we use those levers to best improve our list

Free Agency

As it currently stands, we aren’t being seriously linked to any of the higher profile FAs. Perryman is high on the wishlist here but hasn’t been connected to us. Same with Cumming. English was considered a target earlier in the season but our interest has reportedly waned to the point of disinterest

Jack Graham has been mentioned on occasion but he doesn’t strike me as a particularly attractive option given his lack of pace

Brandan Parfitt looks the best of a slim range of other options but tbh we don’t seem to be a player in the FA market at this stage

Trade

If you ignore wild speculation and/or Christmas wishes the only player we are being linked to is Liam Baker. That said it’s to be expected that further players might be linked as we approach the end of the season but I’d anticipate they’d be more fringe players at other clubs that might improve our depth a little

Maybe we revisit the Deven Robertson trade and one poster has indicated we’ve offered Steely Green a contract. Other board favourites like Busslinger and Garcia have recently signed new contracts

The likes of Warner seem a pipe dream and even if it were to have a chance of happening, it’s more likely to be next year

Draft

From all reports, and the opinion on here of posters I trust, this draft seems to be relatively even with good depth. Having 3, or preferably even 4, picks in the top 40 or so would be nice. We currently have 2 being our R1 and R2 which on present ladder position translate to picks 3 and 23

In promising news, it appears we may be able to match a bid on NGA prospect, Malakai Champion, at any point although it might be he doesn’t attract a bid before pick 40 anyway. If so our 4th round pick (59) might be enough to match

Overall, at this early point we may be looking at another year of building primarily through the draft with maybe a couple of depth players through low value trades/FA and perhaps Liam Baker if we persuade him to join us. He likely won’t come cheap and either our R2 or F2 would be the absolute minimum we’d get him for. Probably it would require more

For that to happen we have to somehow generate additional picks this year whilst also making enough space on our list to accommodate them plus any traded in players

Trading for extra picks

Due to the eveness of the draft and no consensus top 5 picks, splitting our R1 pick like we did in 2022 becomes an option. Without going through the mechanics of who and what, two picks instead of one might be beneficial

Alternatively, we could use our F1 pick to generate two picks this year. The prospect of trading that future pick with Fremantle for two (or more) of their 3x R1 picks has been raised. If we were able to add 2x R1 picks that way in addition to our existing picks it would give us 4 picks inside 23 and a great chance to add to the young crop we’ve brought in over the last 3 drafts

Trading players

Two players capable of generating high value picks (R1) have been reported as attracting interest from opposition clubs - Barrass and Waterman

Both players are contracted but looking to bolster their existing deals for more money and longer terms. We at least hold the upper hand in any trade negotiations should they eventuate

Can we afford to trade out either.

Our KPD stocks are largely unproven and Barrass leaving would see us relying on Edwards, Bazzo and Jamieson to support McGovern who, at 32, probably only has another year or two left in him. It’s a risk and would require a top 10 pick to justify it

We have a little more KPF depth, still unproven though, with Jack Williams, Archer Reid and perhaps Livingstone to support Oscar Allen. Maybe Bailey Williams might develop further as a forward/ruck but on exposed form that seems a long shot. Not quite as risky as Barrass but we’d want a mid to late teens pick for Waterman

Would prefer to keep both and I don’t see any other players we’d be willing to trade that might generate anything other than a late 3rd/early 4th pick

In the absence then of any trades out we need to make list space for hopefully 4-5 draft picks and 2-3 players traded in - about 6-8 players which is commensurate with recent years

Who goes?

Currently uncontracted
Andrew Gaff
Liam Duggan (close to signing)
• Luke Edwards
Alex Witherden
• Zane Trew (R)
Jamaine Jones
Josh Rotham
• Loch Rawlinson (R)
• Jordyn Baker (R)
• Coen Livingstone (Cat B) (Should be recontracted)
• Harry Edwards (Should be recontracted)
• Coby Burgiel (May have re-signed)
• Jai Culley (R)

Gaff, L Edwards, Trew, Jones, Rotham and maybe Baker look to be the most vulnerable. Witherden, Rawlinson and Culley not out of the woods either. They all have the remainder of this season to make their case for retention

We might also consider edging Sheed and/or Darling into retirement despite them both being contracted for 2025. Both loom as being depth only with more WAFL game time than AFL should they play on

Jamieson who seems to be perpetually injured is another cheaper payout option if we need list space

Most of those uncontracted players are likely to have to wait until after the trade period to be offered new contracts when we have a clearer idea of list spots required. They may also be encouraged to seek opportunities elsewhere

Rotham as a FA might get us Band 5 (R3) compensation if we’re lucky

There’s a lot for our recruitment/list management to do and little margin for error with the first Tassie draft due in 2027

My preference would be to focus on the draft using either or both of our R1 and F1 picks to generate additional R1 picks and then hope a bid on Champion comes late enough for us to easily match

Don’t take to much notice of the AA Team selection, as you need to remover there are always agendas behind the individuals selected.

By way of example pre the Allies there would always be a token Tasmanian, QLD, NSW and NT kid included if possible, often at the expense of a more deserving kid.

Also like the AFL AA side the rewarded players don’t always play in the positions that they are picked in.

Do you really believe Smillie deserved selection solely on his U18 Champs performances?

Do you have a top 5?

since it mentioned you guy’s in the Article

DOGS MID ON RADAR

PORT Adelaide and West Coast both have interest in out-of-contract Western Bulldogs midfielder Riley Garcia.

The 23-year-old is yet to secure an extension at the Whitten Oval, but a handful of rivals across the country are monitoring the West Australian.

Garcia has played nine senior games this year around seven VFL games, overcoming the injury issues that limited him across the past few years.
Opportunities have been hard to secure in the Bulldogs' midfield, despite dominant form in the VFL.

Garcia collected 34 disposals, 17 tackles, 10 clearances and two goals against a strong Carlton reserves side on Sunday after being the unused sub the day before and has averaged 32 disposals and eight clearances for Footscray this year.
The Swan Districts product collected 23 touches and 11 contested possessions in his most recent AFL appearance against Brisbane in round 13, but was squeezed out of the 23.

Garcia was selected with pick No.62 in the 2019 AFL Draft, months after rupturing his ACL in the final game of Western Australia's under-18 championship, ruling him out of most of his debut season. – Josh Gabelich

DOGS MID ON RADAR

PORT Adelaide and West Coast both have interest in out-of-contract Western Bulldogs midfielder Riley Garcia.

The 23-year-old is yet to secure an extension at the Whitten Oval, but a handful of rivals across the country are monitoring the West Australian.

Garcia has played nine senior games this year around seven VFL games, overcoming the injury issues that limited him across the past few years.
Opportunities have been hard to secure in the Bulldogs' midfield, despite dominant form in the VFL.

Garcia collected 34 disposals, 17 tackles, 10 clearances and two goals against a strong Carlton reserves side on Sunday after being the unused sub the day before and has averaged 32 disposals and eight clearances for Footscray this year.
The Swan Districts product collected 23 touches and 11 contested possessions in his most recent AFL appearance against Brisbane in round 13, but was squeezed out of the 23.

Garcia was selected with pick No.62 in the 2019 AFL Draft, months after rupturing his ACL in the final game of Western Australia's under-18 championship, ruling him out of most of his debut season. – Josh Gabelich

1st you get for Smith + Garcia for Barrass?

Although if the first is from Geelong, I’d probably want us to say no.

Geelong’s pick would be in the late first round it wouldn’t be good enough

WC give: 2
WC get from Fremantle: 7 and 10

WC give: F1, 23
WC get from GCS: 8,9,28, Davies

WC give: Barrass, 28, F3
WC get from Dogs: Garcia, 6 (Hawks pick they trade for Smith)

6,7,8,9,10 to the draft

Yes I’m biased and yes none of these are happening, but I’ll keep manifesting it

1st you get for Smith + Garcia for Barrass?

Although if the first is from Geelong, I’d probably want us to say no.

That’s completely overs for Barass. Also, Garcia will be staying at the dogs. Of course WC and Port have interest he’s a great player, but by all reports he signed a two year deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WC give: 2
WC get from Fremantle: 7 and 10

WC give: F1, 23
WC get from GCS: 8,9,28, Davies

WC give: Barrass, 28, F3
WC get from Dogs: Garcia, 6 (Hawks pick they trade for Smith)

6,7,8,9,10 to the draft

Yes I’m biased and yes none of these are happening, but I’ll keep manifesting it
I don’t believe for a second that Barrass will leave

DOGS MID ON RADAR

1721204662090.png

images

If we could manage to keep our first and then get another 2 top 15 picks I’d love a haul of Draper, travaglia and Lindsay. All players who can kick the ball well which we need badly throw in cumming with free agency and it’d be a pretty good offseason.

Might mean trading barass but at this point I’d do it. Also wouldn’t mind trading B.Williams for a 2nd rounder but Flynn is too injury prone for that.

Sounds like this is a draft where you’d want to have as many picks as possible due to the depth.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

DOGS MID ON RADAR

Much MUCH much, prefer Garcia to Baker.

Good swap Rotham for Baker ........ just do it. ;)

Yeah Lawson Humphries - o'h hold on he's at Geelong because the Eagles didn't want him :rolleyes:

Be a good lad now and run along and find somewhere else to rattle your tin.

images-1.jpg

This is not a homeless shelter for those reliant on welfare.

If you are after some more handouts just go see Mama Kane, I am sure your blue and white shirt will match her slippers.

Last edited:
So the kid taj Hotton. Before his ACL what was his projection? I've heard someone over here in Victoria tout him as a top 3 prospect before the injury. I watched a couple hailebery games last year and all I remember was he was quite quick.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

So the kid taj Hotton. Before his ACL what was his projection? I've heard someone over here in Victoria tout him as a top 3 prospect before the injury. I watched a couple hailebery games last year and all I remember was he was quite quick.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

He was tracking as a top 10 pick, pre injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Back