List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonner delisted from the saints. Wasn’t too bad this year, decent kick coming out of D50 and probably an upgrade on witherden/rotham. Any interest?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Meh. Pass.

I do think we need some creativity off the half back though. I’m not opposed to Ryan going back there tbh. Especially if Brockman and Long come back in and do their role as pressure smalls that can rotate through the mid at times.

“While the club respects Tom’s request, he is contracted for another three seasons and our vice-captain.

“We will endeavour to meet Tom’s request while protecting the best interests of the West Coast Eagles.”

I’m glad this but sounds a little bit campaignery.
Well, far better than sooking it up on OTC, like Lyon has been about Petracca recently ;)

Id want something, seeing all the values being thrown around like a late teens pick for Baker, 2x 1st rounders for Bolton, pick 6 for Rioli, a pick in the 20s for Noble, etc.

Taking 12-15 for Barrass is just settling for unders, hes not worth less than Rioli for example, and their situations are no different. Both have requested a trade and are seen as required by their destination clubs.

Sure - but realistically, what else can Hawthorn give us? We also only have 3, 23 and a trash pick at the moment and we have Gaff and others on the delist pile.

We'd need to get a third club involved imo to improve that offer.

Bonner delisted from the saints. Wasn’t too bad this year, decent kick coming out of D50 and probably an upgrade on witherden/rotham. Any interest?

I thought about it for about 5 seconds, no thanks.
Turns it over way too often and cant defend. Was dropped from the saints for a good reason

Sure - but realistically, what else can Hawthorn give us? We also only have 3, 23 and a trash pick at the moment and we have Gaff and others on the delist pile.

We'd need to get a third club involved imo to improve that offer.
the hawks have 30, their f1 and their f2. They also have some players who may look for opportunity elsewhere.
Serong(shorter KPD), Reeves(ruck), and a couple of mids who cant get games may be of interest

The Office No GIF

If we're going to do that, just keep Witherden.

This “Tom Barrass is one slight breeze away from never walking again” stuff is so weird.

He played 18 games this year, which included a one week suspension, a one week concussion and a two week shut down to preserve trade value after said concussion.
Shaun Burgoyne went to Hawks from port with a really bad knee or something as a 27 year. Went on to more than double his career tally at port and play another decade of footy. Think Hawks have a decent medical team

Should we look at James Van Es delisted at saints key defender listed at 196cm and only 20 hasn't played an afl game but has potential form looking at his highlights. He hasn't played all year coming off ankle surgery but the talent is there. I reckon he should train with us and see how he goes. Rookie list in my opinion it is all there and his potential needs to be unlocked.

Meh. Pass.

I do think we need some creativity off the half back though. I’m not opposed to Ryan going back there tbh. Especially if Brockman and Long come back in and do their role as pressure smalls that can rotate through the mid at times.
Careful...I've been suggesting that for a year or two and the masses hate it.

the hawks have 30, their f1 and their f2. They also have some players who may look for opportunity elsewhere.
Serong(shorter KPD), Reeves(ruck), and a couple of mids who cant get games may be of interest
I would take their first and Mackenzie in a heartbeat (not that they'll offer it).
Obviously I was big on Mackenzie pre-draft. Hasn't come on yet as hoped, but still only 20 so plenty of development remaining.

They still are definitely hitting the draft, though. I'd do 12 and F1 - but I doubt the Hawks do. Unless they make a Grand Final this year, maybe I guess.

Personally, not a fan of Serong. Is Ned actually wanting to leave? Understand Meek has pushed him down the pecking order but haven't heard noises from him leaving. Which mids do you think we can target? (inb4worpel).

Anyway, all academic at the moment as we need to see how finals shake out.

I would take their first and Mackenzie in a heartbeat (not that they'll offer it).
Obviously I was big on Mackenzie pre-draft. Hasn't come on yet as hoped, but still only 20 so plenty of development remaining.

Exactly this. I mean, there's a few I'd like from Hawthorn but they aren't coming back the other way for Barrass unless we do something silly like throw in our pick 3 and/or 23 as well.

As a pickup Finn O'Sullivan will be a suit for us. He is a medium 182cm midfielder that can also play that half forward role as that game recently played I am pretty sure he bagged in 3 and 20 touches. Best out of the draft is a Josh Smillie. Big contested ball winner and really good around the ground, better than Jagga Smith IMO.
I would hate Josh Smillie for West Coast, we need midfielders with good agility and pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would generally think it’s fair value if it were 5 years ago but there is a huge demand for elite kpd with little supply so his value has to be higher. Like just last year Essendon paid a kings ransom for spud McKay and hawks were gunning for him also because there are no other options..

Technically not paid a king's ransom in terms of draft picks, he was a free agent.

It was the AFL that wanted to help North by making that compensation pick 3.

I do see and agree with your point though. Ready made KPDs are rare.

Shaun Burgoyne went to Hawks from port with a really bad knee or something as a 27 year. Went on to more than double his career tally at port and play another decade of footy. Think Hawks have a decent medical team
Better make that a first and two seconds then

2 for 8 & 12 still would've been done without Willie being involved, and F3 for 40 was just about banking our 3rd round pick.
It wasn't even enough to get the player we wanted lol.
It was pick 40 + F3 = Clay Hall.

So the deal was Rioli for a future second?

That seems reasonable. Port going on to make a prelim and then the first round blowing out to 29 picks made it look worse.

I have a weird gut feeling that our recruiters will love Langford and we'll grab him at 3 (or push back a few spots to get him)

He looks a jet. We really can't go wrong with our selection - whether it's Jagga, FOS, Draper, Smilie, Langford or Lalor

Excluding M.Reid from the above list because of the mumma's boy concerns
I still think that we need to try our best to turn 3 and the Barrass pick into 3 or 4 picks. See if gcs will swap 3 & 12 for 6, 13, 20. Throw in 23 if it gets the deal done. So we end up with 6, 13, 20 & 23. Use 20 on Baker and we are left with 6, 13, & 23.
Or... see if Sydney will swap 13 for 18 & 19. Throw in our 57.
In a perfect world that gives us 6, 18, 19, 20 & 23. Use 18 on Baker & we have 6, 19, 20, 23. The question, is either of those hands better than 3 & 12 and having to scramble to get Baker.

Try being a Suns fan... about to pay Pick 6 for Daniel Rioli, not too long after they delisted a best 22 player in Jarryd Lyons with a year left to run on his contract... only for him to be picked up as a free agent by none other than their rivals Brisbane.

And we mustn't forget about that time they gave Cockburn Pick 2 for Lachie ****ing Weller.
Suns…. fan…. What is that? Didn’t know such a thing existed

They still are definitely hitting the draft, though. I'd do 12 and F1 - but I doubt the Hawks do. Unless they make a Grand Final this year, maybe I guess.

Personally, not a fan of Serong. Is Ned actually wanting to leave? Understand Meek has pushed him down the pecking order but haven't heard noises from him leaving. Which mids do you think we can target? (inb4worpel).

Anyway, all academic at the moment as we need to see how finals shake out.
Why wouldn't the Hawks give up two firsts? Their list is in an excellent position. Their midfield is set with ample replacements in Moore and Mackenzie playing off a half forward flanks. The positions they need to round out the list are positions that they can fill with second, third, fourth rounders. Their biggest need is a KPD and they've now got an All-Australian calibre defender requesting a trade there.

12 + F1 won't come for free. I expect to give back our F2. Hawthorn's draft hand this year is already thin and if they give us 30/F2, they'll be down two picks over the next two drafts versus a pick downgrade alongside losing pick 12. I don't know Hawthorn's list or targets so I don't know what other levers they could pull but I would be surprised if they put up much of a fight when they're potentially going to land a genuine premiership piece.

Why wouldn't the Hawks give up two firsts? Their list is in an excellent position. Their midfield is set with ample replacements in Moore and Mackenzie playing off a half forward flanks. The positions they need to round out the list are positions that they can fill with second, third, fourth rounders. Their biggest need is a KPD and they've now got an All-Australian calibre defender requesting a trade there.

12 + F1 won't come for free. I expect to give back our F2. Hawthorn's draft hand this year is already thin and if they give us 30/F2, they'll be down two picks over the next two drafts versus a pick downgrade alongside losing pick 12. I don't know Hawthorn's list or targets so I don't know what other levers they could pull but I would be surprised if they put up much of a fight when they're potentially going to land a genuine premiership piece.

I'd do 12 + F1 for our F2.

More the idea that an established and proven KPD is not their only hole. But I see your point.

I did expect dislikes for my initial post, just wanted to try and see it from the Hawks' POV. We'll get a fair deal imo.

West Coast’s Tom Barrass requests trade to Hawthorn, steep asking price expected​

Hawthorn has won the race for the services of Tom Barrass, but West Coast are set to demand a hefty price for the defender. MARK DUFFIELD looks at what might get the deal done.
Mark DuffieldMark Duffield
Follow

@MarkDuffield1

3 min read
August 27, 2024 - 7:51PM
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/.../048e9a27f1b6b41fa65f1888e6b064f4#share-tools

Hawthorn is going to have to get creative to pull off its trade for West Coast defender Tom Barrass with Eagles sources declaring the club was likely to want two first round picks for the intercept defender.
Barrass still has three years of a contract worth between $700,000 and $800,000 a year left to run at the Eagles.
He told the club at his exit interview he wanted to be traded to Hawthorn where it is believed he has a five year deal on the table and established relationships with coach Sam Mitchell and assistant Adrian Hickmott from the 2018 West Coast premiership era.

The problem for the Hawks is a good one to have. But it is one they weren’t necessarily betting on a month ago when speculation of Barrass’s want to join them started to ramp up.
The Hawks will have to pay up for Barrass. Picture: Getty Images

The Hawks will have to pay up for Barrass. Picture: Getty Images
The value of their first round pick has diminished with every barnstorming win they have pulled off in the back half of this season and will diminish further if they find their way past the Western Bulldogs in an elimination final next week.
While the Eagles are yet to declare their hand - or set a price for Barrass, sources yesterday indicated that with Hawthorn’s first pick in this year’s draft sitting currently at pick 12 - one first round pick alone would not be enough for the Eagles to jump at the deal.
The Eagles might require a second draft pick between 10 and 20 and it may have to be in this year’s draft rather than a future pick.
West Coast’s approach to the trade is likely to be guided by two things: The club at this point believes the 2024 draft crop is stronger and deeper than next year’s, and the Eagles are likely to opt for a mix of draft/trade strategy in this year’s list management period with a view that the club needs both an injection of top end young talent and some “middle aged” talent to shore up a vulnerable playing list and achieve more consistent performance in 2025.
The Eagles could land multiple top picks in a trade. Picture: Getty Images

The Eagles could land multiple top picks in a trade. Picture: Getty Images
The Eagles are almost certainly bidding for Richmond’s Liam Baker with the potential of either a late first round pick or an early second round pick being required to satisfy the Tigers.
They are also expected to tie up a deal with Richmond’s 26-year-old free agent Jack Graham.
The Eagles currently have picks three and 23 in the draft and the ability to grab Baker and Graham and still hold three picks inside the top 25 in the draft is likely to hold significant appeal.
West Coast issued a statement on Tuesday afternoon acknowledging Barrass’s request for a trade but also stressing that he was a contracted player - footy speak for the price has to be right for the deal to get done.
“Tom has today informed us of his desire to pursue an opportunity at another club,” general manager of football Gavin Bell said.
“While the club respects Tom’s request he is contracted for another three seasons and our vice captain.”
“We will endeavour to meet Tom’s request while protecting the best interests of the West Coast Eagles.”
[PLAYERCARD]Adrian Hickmott[/PLAYERCARD] and Sam Mitchell have a connection with Barrass from their time at West Coast. Picture: Michael Klein

Adrian Hickmott and Sam Mitchell have a connection with Barrass from their time at West Coast. Picture: Michael Klein
Barrass (28) has played 150 games for the Eagles after being drafted with pick 43 in 2013.
He won the club’s best and fairest in 2022 when he also made the All-Australian squad and was a star in the club’s 2018 premiership win over Collingwood.
Barrass had previously scoffed at speculation that he had wanted out of the club last year with rumours linking him to Sydney in the post-season and that he may want out again this year.
“I am a West Coast player and unless the rug gets pulled out from under my feet I will stay that way,” he said at a press conference.
“I am really excited about what we are doing here and I am really excited about some of the talent. It (trade speculation) happens every year and it is hardly a story - AFL clubs chasing established key position player. It’s the currency of football so I wouldn’t be reading into it too much.”

I've heard switkowski might be leaving Freo.

179 forward.

Liam Ryan for 27?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back