List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we overrating Barrass? Compo pick (11) + Garcia + Buss/F2?

This will only make sense if pay 400/500k of Barrass salary and we throw in our R2. Otherwise heavily weighed in favour.

If we need to get Baker across the line I’ll chuck Tigers a F2

I’d also go hard at Sheldrick this year with F3, and at the very least start getting in his ear for 2025 when he is OOC.

I hate this period, another four weeks with crazy trade scenarios to consume the board for another two months.
I don’t think so? I’ve said all along Barrass and salary is a 6-10 pick plus a pick in the 20s or 2xpicks in the early teens.

I’d also take Swans pick 18,19, Sheldrick and F1 in exchange for Barrass (and salary) pick 23 and our F2. A betting man would say the future pick is most likely 1 pick upgrade (excluding FA compo).

Can’t think of a lockdown KPD who is clearly better than him.

You still have failed to highlight an actual difference in their attributes. Only ones you have said are size and speed which were wrong.

Is trew being fringe on Trew or on Simmo? He clearly should have been playing all year.

He is a year younger than dev. Played 30 less games. Yet he has a significantly higher output.

This fascination with a delist material player at another club is sad.
I didnt say Robertson was faster, he's definitely bigger though. Trew is a stick.

He has higher output because he's playing as an inside mid, dev has never had the opportunity.
As I said before its not because he can't do it, it's because there are too many ahead of him.
Trew has had very little ahead of him.

You are literally arguing for Trew, all I'm saying is Dev>Trew, and I'd swap 4th rounders with Brisbane for him.

Idk why you think I think he's elite or something. He would be a solid role player who can do a role, a role we lack.

If Dev is at any club other than Brisbane he's getting games.

You are being unnecessarily difficult.

This is a chunky one. In the first half it felt as though Gerreyn was involved in every play as he racked up over 20 disposals. He was simply too much for East Fremantle to handle, too big, too strong and too skillful. After the last two weeks of dominating play it really feels as though Kayle has out grown the Colts competition. Time for a call up to the senior squad!

I didnt say Robertson was faster, he's definitely bigger though. Trew is a stick.

He has higher output because he's playing as an inside mid, dev has never had the opportunity.
As I said before its not because he can't do it, it's because there are too many ahead of him.
Trew has had very little ahead of him.

You are literally arguing for Trew, all I'm saying is Dev>Trew, and I'd swap 4th rounders with Brisbane for him.

Idk why you think I think he's elite or something. He would be a solid role player who can do a role, a role we lack.

If Dev is at any club other than Brisbane he's getting games.

You are being unnecessarily difficult.
Any evidence that trew is smaller other than vibes?

Not really being difficulty. Just think there is zero point trading in list fodder at other clubs when we already have similar.

Absolutely nothing to suggest dev fills a role we lack other than maybe his draft year half a decade ago.

They might both re-sign but Eagles definitely won’t be trading for him and not apart of the TB trade.

Sort of counterproductive if you know how Free agency and compo picks work

Yeah I realise that, just saying English is worth more than Barass due to being younger and more impactful around the ground.

I hope we don’t trade for Barass anyway seeing as Lobb has filled that hole for us.

With the re-emergence of Tim English as a target, I have slapped together some data for people to reference off.

I cut off any player that doesn't average at least 30 ruck contests per game, which unfortuantely means Jack Williams was left out, which I didn't click on to until too late.

Ruck:
  • With Flynn & Williams selected, we average 43.1 hitouts & 9.9 to advantage at 23%.
  • English alone is averaging 28.8 hitouts & 8.7 to advantage at 30%.
  • For the record, J.Williams averages 16.5 contests, 3.5 hitouts & 0.5 to advantage at 14%.

1721640484781.png

Around the Ground:
  • No surprises, it is a bit of a landslide, however English is often refered to as an extra midfielder once the ruck contest is complete.
  • The only stat English doesn’t lead is clearances, which is probably because Bailey averages more than double the Ruck Hard Ball Gets (grabbing it out of the ruck).

1721640627312.png

I hope Flynn can get himself on the field for the final five games and we can have a proper look at him. Along with pairing him with both B.Williams and J.Williams (individually, not all together at once). I think he is a very capable ruckman, unfortunaltey, we've only seen it in arguably one of his four games.

English comes at a salary cap price and is not a great age, but by golly do we need to get things heading in the right direction. He could be the perfect pairing to unlock J.Willaims playing every week, as could Flynn, but we dont have enough evidence of Matt's durability. English is incredibly durable, albeit some concussion concerns. Tim can also play alot of minutes (avg 85% TOG) ensuring our FWD/Ruck could spend significantly more time forward and less time in the ruck.

Next five weeks could be very telling.

Last edited:
Yeah I realise that, just saying English is worth more than Barass due to being younger and more impactful around the ground.

I hope we don’t trade for Barass anyway seeing as Lobb has filled that hole for us.
But he’s not because English is a free agent that your club is only apparently prepared to offer 5 years when he is younger but also offering a 3 year Contracted TB 5 years.

But he’s not because English is a free agent that your club is only apparently prepared to offer 5 years when he is younger but also offering a 3 year Contracted TB 5 years.

Highly doubt we go for Barass unless he’d only cost a second round pick which is unlikely. And there’s a 0% chance English moves interstate.

Any evidence that trew is smaller other than vibes?
Just looking at them
Not really being difficulty. Just think there is zero point trading in list fodder at other clubs when we already have similar.
We have similar but significantly worse. He would cost next to nothing. The chance of us losing on a swap of 4th rounders is almost 0. More chance Dev becomes a regular in the 22 than he does not being worth the scraps we might trade
Absolutely nothing to suggest dev fills a role we lack other than maybe his draft year half a decade ago.
????
Hes not Zane Trew or Luke Edwards mate

Highly doubt we go for Barass unless he’d only cost a second round pick which is unlikely. And there’s a 0% chance English moves interstate.
There is 0 chance Barrass goes for anything less than a mid first round pick. The Dogs will know this, otherwise they wouldnt be sniffing around.

They know he is one of the top few KPDs in the comp, and he is contracted for 3 more years on lower salary than his value as a player dictates.

Despite this they are still interested from the sounds of things.

Mayube uncontracted Barrass goes for a late first rounder. Contracted probably a pick close to 10 + a 2nd rounder or something.
You dont give up contracted A graders for scraps.

The Dogs management knows this, yet they are still interested.

English no idea.

WB would’ve know what the price would be, been widely reported what Sydney were willing to pay to try and get him out the year before in a trade. Even with that, there was no confirmation of the Eagles would’ve accepted it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's better than LEdwards and Trew is not a good reason to get him.
IMO, that's just replacing spuds with spuds.

I'd rather take a punt on a kid and hope we get a Noah Long.

Agree to disagree.
Disagree to agree.

Noah Long was never a huge punt where we got him.
Went at around 25 possessions and a goal a game at U18 level for the Bendigo Pioneers.
Should have been taken somewhere early- mid 2nd round and only slid because of his size.

It wont be too often that we get legit bargains late draft.

So is Barrass happy to stay without a renenogations of his contract?

Because the rumour of him leaving was because of him having a contract that wasn't much right?

So if we don't renogagate would he be a good boy and stay

Because the rumour of him leaving was because of him having a contract that wasn't much right?

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

He doesn’t have a choice. We need to stand our ground and if the Dogs offer a good enough deal to release him from his contract then we oblige. If Barrass does his knee twice do you think he says yes if we ask to lower his contract?

Stand our ground, the Dogs have to pay what we ask or Barrass stays. It’s a win-win.

Thinking of Lobb emerging as the Doggies KPD - if I were the Dogs I’d be softening on Tom Barrass.

Thinking of Lobb emerging as the Doggies KPD - if I were the Dogs I’d be softening on Tom Barrass.
Lobb was a stop fap that worked for one match. Can he play constantly as key back all season. I doubt it. Too small a sample size to not get a quality key back into your side when you're in a premiership window.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lobb was a stop fap that worked for one match. Can he play constantly as key back all season. I doubt it. Too small a sample size to not get a quality key back into your side when you're in a premiership window.

I guess Lobb has a 2 month audition for staying on the list next year

He’s had a solid 6 games in defence now, and been AA caliber every week. With him, Jones, Buku and JOD, Buss can’t even get a game despite dominating in the VFL.

Barass is the last thing they need, especially if it means giving up the Bailey Smith pick. Not to mention he’ll be 30 next year and has a history of back issues. I can’t understand the appeal for the Dogs even if he is one of the best defenders going around at the moment. Seems like a lose-lose situation for both clubs.

With the re-emergence of Tim English as a target, I have slapped together some data for people to reference off.

I cut off any player that doesn't average at least 30 ruck contests per game, which unfortuantely means Jack Williams was left out, which I didn't click on to until too late.

Ruck:
  • With Flynn & Williams selected, we average 43.1 hitouts & 9.9 to advantage at 23%.
  • English alone is averaging 28.8 hitouts & 8.7 to advantage at 30%.
  • For the record, J.Williams averages 16.5 contests, 3.5 hitouts & 0.5 to advantage at 14%.

View attachment 2055968

Around the Ground:
  • No surprises, it is a bit of a landslide, however English is often refered to as an extra midfielder once the ruck contest is complete.
  • The only stat English doesnt lead is Clearances, which is probably becuase Bailey averages more than double the Ruck Hard Ball Gets (grabbing it out of the ruck).

View attachment 2055972

I hope Flynn can get himself on the field for the final five games and we can have a proper look at him. Along with pairing him with both B.Williams and J.Williams (individually, not all together at once). I think he is a very capable ruckman, unfortunaltey, we've only seen it in arguably one of his four games.

English comes at a salary cap price and is not a great age, but by golly do we need to get things heading in the right direction. He could be the perfect pairing to unlock J.Willaims playing every week, as could Flynn, but we dont have enough evidence of Matt's durability. English is incredibly durable, albeit some concussion concerns. Tim can also play alot of minutes (avg 85% TOG) ensuring our FWD/Ruck could spend significantly more time forward and less time in the ruck.

Next five weeks could be very telling.
Golly is much underused these days

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I feel like Moyle is the answer to our Ruck issues, massive vfl numbers and looking for opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back