List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't rate English at all as a ruck.

Having said that, we are so dire, if we can get him as a free agent for reasonable coin (expensive but no obscene) and not too long (6 years max), then do it. We just need talent. Wlliams is poor, Flynn isn't much chop and made of glass.

Williams the younger and English will be fine as a combo

In a position where most teams play 1 player for 80% plus TOG there will obviously be a scale of #1 in the league to #18.

BW would be 17/18 on that list, English likely 5-8ish

That is a significant improvement to our team, and sure he isn’t a hitout beast - but he is AFL standard in the ruck and above average around the ground (as much as we may not value uncontested possession from a ruckman in general it is a massive weakness for the side so also improves us immediately).

If we can significantly front end the deal also (25/26 specifically… save for HR in 27) it seems like a no brainer.

Ideally we chase another FA or two also (and we miss out on any Rotham compo, but the reality is that would be minor if any, plus the value is his list spot anyway).

BW - hopefully he is keen to explore opportunities elsewhere. Not sure on value but our team really wouldn’t have a spot for him if English came in (he hasn’t shown enough as a forward to play ahead of JWilliams).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Been against English all along but if its on a cheaper deal and we can use it to generate some better pick with a Barrass deal then I'm less against it.

Just don't expect any uptick in hitouts/clearances as a result. He gets bullied at actual ruckwork
Bailey sucks in the ruck and also sucks around the ground

At least English racks it up .

I would also rather keep barrass and sell bailey williams .

An extra 2nd round pick would be lovely in this draft

Young ruck perhaps but English is 27. His decline will start way sooner than this side starts to rise up the ladder
Exactly. People assume he’s young still. Closer to 30 he gets, the more likely his athleticism wanes and he no longer offers anything on the spread or in the ruck contest.

I think we will definitely get him and we’ll rue the cap space he takes up for years (maybe)

English on a cheaper contract than initially offered, significantly better than any of our current rucks and will cost nothing at the trade table.

Definitely have come around to it

Bailey sucks in the ruck and also sucks around the ground

An extra 2nd round pick would be lovely in this draft

If he sucks why would anyone pay up a 2nd rounder for him? 🤔

Fwiw I'm firmly on the sell the farm wagon now. Anyone over 25 that has any value I'm happy to be shopped and see what we can get. I'm not sure what "culture" or on field leadership we're worried about losing, there isn't any.

This is silly and not grounded in any sense of reality. Do people really believe this stuff? He'd walk into any teams best 22.

No he wouldn’t… if you can’t kick and hit targets with some sort of consistency you won’t walk into any top side… he is a prime reason as to why we are where we are… has talent but isn’t putting in the work to actually go up a level. Infact he has regressed…. Badly.

English is an absolute no brainer at this stage. Flynn hasn't worked, and we can't risk another year of BW solo rucking.

English has long enough left that either Barnett comes on or we are able to draft another ruck who can be about ready when English is finishing up.

Flynn can play WAFL for the rest of his contract and be backup.

With any luck by 2026 Barnett has found his feet at WAFL at least and can be the backup ruck for English if he gets injured, in the case Flynn doesn't stick around not getting games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No he wouldn’t… if you can’t kick and hit targets with some sort of consistency you won’t walk into any top side… he is a prime reason as to why we are where we are… has talent but isn’t putting in the work to actually go up a level. Infact he has regressed…. Badly.
Hes kicking under pressure most of the time, to players that are uninterested and dont provide options.

We remember all the shit kicks but the ones he hits go unnoticed.

Hes going at 72% kick eff this year. That's more than solid

English

Pros:
  • Our rucks are trash, he's a massive upgrade
  • We've got plenty of salary cap space and we can front end his contract
  • It allows us to draft another ruck in 1-2 years who can succeed English
  • Allows us to potentially trade B.Williams
  • He's a good ruckman, maybe he can rediscover his best form
  • He unquestionably makes us a better team

Cons
  • He's soft
  • Concussion history
  • Not a great tap ruckman

I think this is a smart play and hopefully we get it done.

No he wouldn’t… if you can’t kick and hit targets with some sort of consistency you won’t walk into any top side… he is a prime reason as to why we are where we are…

Just highlighting the hypocrisy of this given how shitty you got with the club for delisting Patrick Naish.

Barrass signed a long term deal before the salary increases.

Our players contracts are also no linked to the salary increases like other teams .

Barrass sees spuds like Mackay getting massive coin and feels under valued .

This is just barrass and his manager getting what he thinks he deserves.

They want to renegotiate his contract for more money and maybe another year and using other clubs interest to justify it .
By the sounds of it Sydney withdrew last year due to his back injury and there has been rumours he wouldn't pass a medical at another club .

As you said I highly doubt he leaves .
According to Beatson on Gettable last year, after initially expressing interest in a possible move, Barrass put an end to discussions. Sounds like it didn’t even get near medicals and Beatson was a bit disappointed at the way Barrass had handled it.

I think Freo could be a watch regarding Barrass. They’d consider themselves to be in the flag window. Their KPD options are Pearce (who’s just broken his arm again and is injury-prone), Cox (who’s just returned from injury and is injury-prone), Draper (promising but young and inexperienced), Ryan (undersized), Davies (inexperienced and unproven) and Murphy (inexperienced and unproven).

If Freo’s pursuit of Warner and Bolton fails, and their KPDs don’t perform well in the finals, Barrass might be an option. With Freo, Barrass can move clubs without uprooting family.

Last edited:
Its telling and concerning there's no credentialed coaches willing to put their hand up and coach the rabble that is our club. There's just so little to work with in terms of young stocks, Reid aside. Its such a long way back, thanks to the lack of future vision, (non)decisions of the board, list management and coaches over the last decade.

I'm wondering now how long the loyal Eagles membership supporter base can wait it out.

Last edited:
Disagree, think having a quality ruck is essential to our rebuild. We also have a lot of money we can offload.
the tricky bit is, he's just not a great tap ruckman (that being said his HO to adv % is not too bad).
but I agree we cant continue down the path we are, as it is just totally detrimental to the development of the kids.

Plus he can pretty much take full ruck-load, meaning we can have another runner in the 22.

Of course he walks into most sides. He’s been a consistent AFL player for a long period of time. He had a shocker a few games back and it’s fresh in the minds of everyone.

Would sit in our top 5 pretty comfortably in this years B&F. Does he butcher the ball? He does at times but he’s not the only one. Have a look at some of our players disposal efficiency, he’s not our worst and sits in front of Yeo, Kelly & Ryan in this stat. Part of it’s the position that the likes Duggan, Yeo and Kelly play where they are pressured into dump kicks.

Isaac Heeney is the Brownlow favourite and is going for this season at 71% disposal efficiency, have a look at Duggans and come back to me.

Last edited:
He is the epitome of mediocrity. Nothing against Dugg but he is a WAFL standard footballer at best. Hence our whole predicament.
Rubbish. He is easily best 22 in any side in the comp, he just isn't a match winner. He is reliable and yes he can butcher the ball, but that's indicative of how we are going and the pressure the back 6 has had to sustain for 3 yrs now.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't rate English at all as a ruck.

Having said that, we are so dire, if we can get him as a free agent for reasonable coin (expensive but no obscene) and not too long (6 years max), then do it. We just need talent. Wlliams is poor, Flynn isn't much chop and made of glass.

Williams the younger and English will be fine as a combo
Top three ruckman in the comp for every metric apart from tap outs to advantage.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its telling and concerning there's no credentialed coaches willing to put their hand up and coach the rabble that is our club. There's just so little to work with in terms of young stocks, Reid aside. Its such a long way back, thanks to the lack of future vision, (non)decisions of the board, list management and coaches over the last decade.

I'm wondering now how long the strong Eagles membership supporter can wait it out.
It's coming to finals. Good coaches will be focused on that, and will talk to us properly as soon as their teams are knocked out.

There's plenty of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back