List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
We desperately...DESPERATELY need a player who can go to contest to contest and get their hands on the pill. Far too many times this year am I seeing McGovern or Barrass at the top of our disposal list. McGovern had 25 today, next best was Kelly with 19. McKercher 37, Sheezel 30, hell even their ruckman had 30.
I wonder the last time a team got a win with only one player above 20 disposals. I guarantee that player would not have been their full back either. We really need some high production mids that can accumulate the footy and complement our attacking on-ballers

I wonder the last time a team got a win with only one player above 20 disposals. I guarantee that player would not have been their full back either. We really need some high production mids that can accumulate the footy and complement our attacking on-ballers
Also just shows how overrated possessions are if you dick around with them.

It's like early season Freo. Mids were getting huge numbers but most of the game was spent between the arcs, as they couldn't push the ball forward.

With the Talent League taking a break there are plenty of draft prospects making their VFL debuts this week giving us a chance to see how they step up to a higher level of competition. Playing off a half back flank, Travaglia looked comfortable and confident, displaying his usual intense competitive drive in contested situations as well as his run and carry to launch attacking moves.

Also just shows how overrated possessions are if you dick around with them.

It's like early season Freo. Mids were getting huge numbers but most of the game was spent between the arcs, as they couldn't push the ball forward.
Agreed, hate seeing teams play kick-to-kick across half back, much prefer playing direct. But the reality is we won in the last 20 seconds against the second worst team in the comp. The game we played likely wouldn’t have beaten any other side except Richmond.

Holy **** Tigers are doing whatever they can to convince themselves to pick fos.

He has 9 posseion while jagga has 21 and trying to convince themselves fos is God

Didn’t mind that from FOS. Spent a lot of time forward when the ball was up the other end for most of the first half and took his chances with some classy finishes. If we keep the pick I think he’s more likely than not to be an Eagle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t mind that from FOS. Spent a lot of time forward when the ball was up the other end for most of the first half and took his chances with some classy finishes. If we keep the pick I think he’s more likely than not to be an Eagle.
Yeah he’s got class, I’m not convinced that’s his best, I think there is still more there. However I think we need to go with some safer options if we retain pick 3 at this point.

He’s very good when given a bit of space but I’m a little bit concerned with how often he’s beaten this year in contested situations.

He’s going to be one of those picks where our recruiting staff are potentially dammed if they do and dammed if they don’t.

Ashcroft finishes with 35 disposals and a goal. Would have to be the clear number one now if he wasn’t already.

Jagga 21 disposals. Wasn’t his best game today but worked pretty hard.

FOS 11 disposals and kicked 2.1.
Goals were nice moments in an underwhelming performance otherwise.
First game at that level coming off a very interrupted year, still carrying a couple of niggles. Calm the farm. If Jagar and Draper are gone at 3, FOS is next best.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

While I had Trew as a delist come October, I think that is less likely given the last month. He is very solid depth when played in his position
We would have to upgrade him to the senior list because under the new rules to get a 4th/5th year on the rookie list you have to play under 10 games .

Interesting as I would 100% keep him on the rookie list but senior spots will be at.a premium .

I would say trew's form has stamped cully's papers

Ashcroft finishes with 35 disposals and a goal. Would have to be the clear number one now if he wasn’t already.

Jagga 21 disposals. Wasn’t his best game today but worked pretty hard.

FOS 11 disposals and kicked 2.1.
Goals were nice moments in an underwhelming performance otherwise.
Dev another nice stat game too.

Geez need these Hawks to go out first final now. Pick is really blowing out or Freo to win out (or Blues but we will put them to the sword next week)

Yeah he’s got class, I’m not convinced that’s his best, I think there is still more there. However I think we need to go with some safer options if we retain pick 3 at this point.

He’s very good when given a bit of space but I’m a little bit concerned with how often he’s beaten this year in contested situations.

He’s going to be one of those picks where our recruiting staff are potentially dammed if they do and dammed if they don’t.
Good post. There’s strong arguments for selecting and not selecting him. We don’t have a great record with recruiting based on underage years/performance. Despite being IMO the most complete footballer of the draft class, using a top 3 pick on him as you rightly point out is risky. Can’t believe I’m even writing that after his champs a year ago. If he’d played the whole season and this is what he’s producing I’d take Draper but if the draft was tomorrow and he’s available I’d still take FOS.

Both of these kids have an outstanding attitude and we can’t really go wrong with one or the other. If they are both gone I’d take Smillie who by all accounts seems to also be a great kid from a good family.

1. FOS
2. Draper
3. Smillie

There’s a chance the decision is already made for us in the unlikely event of the Tigers not taking Jagga at #1.

Last edited:
I just want a first rounder. If the pick is too high Hawks won't give it.
They were always giving it around where they were projected to finish. It was just if a 2nd came with it.

I really like Langford if Draper is gone. Anyone know if he is planning on playing VFL this year?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back