List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Disagree again.

They can definitely afford it draft capital wise but salary wise might be an issue if they get Baker and Bolton this year and Brayshaw out next but we will see.

If we cash in on TB and can bring in a 23yo star midfielder. Something we need badly, get it to our forwards and they will kick a wining score.

I understand some on here just want to stick to the draft picks. I don’t agree with that strategy, you pull all 3 leavers as they say but we ain’t getting much in FA due to our position.

This is an important point in the WC vs Freo argument for Warner. Yes Freo have more picks which is important when dealing with Richmond (Bolton/Baker) because they are at ground zero of a rebuild and need to hit the draft.

Sydney are going all out for premierships which is where TB is the ace up our sleeve. Would they want 2-3 draft picks for kids that will be good in 5 years but won’t help them in the short term, or would they want one of the best full backs in the league while they are competing plus 1 good draft pick for the future?

Freo aren’t giving up quality players in a trade so the value we offer is higher to a contender in that scenario. Not to mention our salary cap is far more open.

Warner stepped up and dominated in the last quarter on the weekend to get Sydney the win. He had a few down weeks while the team struggled and he got more attention but his early season form was elite and he has shown again he is a match winner. Interesting how his value will be assessed now with some varied form. He is a young gun and still improving so will iron out those fluctuations in his game.

All hypothetical as he is very unlikely to leave this year and who knows how we will be placed next year.

If Sydney’s back line is exposed in finals I wonder if they would revisit the TB trade and be willing to give up Warner given their midfield depth. Or do they win the flag and be more content letting Warner go…

FWIW I would not give TB + pick 3. If we split pick 3 for 7+11 maybe TB + 7 would suffice. Then we would have pick 11 in a very even first round to grab the best mid that slides in the top 10 plus a 23 year old game breaking mid to help pump the ball into our forwards.

Draft picks are key but are also speculative, it seems that is especially true this year with such an even first round.

We could only hope whoever we pick with our 1R ends up as good as Warner. A pick split and TB offer may give us the best of both worlds.

FWIW I would not give TB + pick 3. If we split pick 3 for 7+11 maybe TB + 7 would suffice. Then we would have pick 11 in a very even first round to grab the best mid that slides in the top 10 plus a 23 year old game breaking mid to help pump the ball into our forwards.
I think the equivalent of pick 7, 10-12 and pick 29ish is way too much to be parting with right now for a single player like Warner. We just aren't in that much of a rush to rebuild imo

He may be very good, but I'd argue he's the wrong type of mid we need anyway. If we had a young Sid Draper type already then Warner would be a better fit imo

Maybe Barrass and pick 11 with Warner and pick 19 coming back

It is that sort of draft that says he could be anything from 15 to 25 (and I am ignoring NGA and FS).

I have him on my board at 20 - PM Bangers has him at 17, Ed Pascoe has him at 21 as does Twomey.

Hamish Davis would be a similar option and a likely 20 to 30 pick.

That's what I thought as well. Late 1st early 2nd.

So if we missed out on Travagalia with the Hawks 1st say 11 we use that on a mid?

Or do we reach for Oliver?

Would be nice to somehow upgrade our 2nd to a late 1st. Get in front of band 3 compo and others who are interested. But that likely costs a F2nd. So not sure the value in that.

This is an important point in the WC vs Freo argument for Warner. Yes Freo have more picks which is important when dealing with Richmond (Bolton/Baker) because they are at ground zero of a rebuild and need to hit the draft.

Sydney are going all out for premierships which is where TB is the ace up our sleeve. Would they want 2-3 draft picks for kids that will be good in 5 years but won’t help them in the short term, or would they want one of the best full backs in the league while they are competing plus 1 good draft pick for the future?

Freo aren’t giving up quality players in a trade so the value we offer is higher to a contender in that scenario. Not to mention our salary cap is far more open.

Warner stepped up and dominated in the last quarter on the weekend to get Sydney the win. He had a few down weeks while the team struggled and he got more attention but his early season form was elite and he has shown again he is a match winner. Interesting how his value will be assessed now with some varied form. He is a young gun and still improving so will iron out those fluctuations in his game.

All hypothetical as he is very unlikely to leave this year and who knows how we will be placed next year.

If Sydney’s back line is exposed in finals I wonder if they would revisit the TB trade and be willing to give up Warner given their midfield depth. Or do they win the flag and be more content letting Warner go…

Draft picks are key but are also speculative, it seems that is especially true this year with such an even first round.

We could only hope whoever we pick with our 1R ends up as good as Warner. A pick split and TB offer may give us the best of both worlds.
Yep, Agreed. Suits both teams, TB getting Sydney when they are in the window and will be for TB 4-5 year contract, have mids coming through at get the next one with pick 3.

Eagles have his replacement ready to go in HEdwards and get help where they need it in the midfield and would be a key figure when we are back up at the top. Bringing in Warner would definitely help with keeping Harley around too.

How you round the trade out with picks is easy to do but totally up for discussion along with how much salary the Eagles pay ect.

TB + 4* + 29* for Warner + 20* + 23* and salary. (Picks projected after NGAs, FS, Compo and Academy)

Issue being AFL as a trade movement space is trigger shy and playes having to agree is a big reason. Where it would fall down but the sounds of it, TB will want to go to Vic and Warner likely Freo.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what this so called handshake agreement with Barass was? I can't believe any player manager would ever let their players agree to that sort of deal, Sounds incredibly foolish.
He only moves if we let him, this talk of him walking out is rubbish.
We either get a deal to good to keep him or he plays out his contract.

I would be surprised if TB was a Wce player next year..Perhaps we may be at a stage where he doesn’t play the season out ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Have no problem with that, just hope we haven't gone back on a handshake deal.
I'd wish him all the best and hope he does really well where ever he ends up.

I think the equivalent of pick 7, 10-12 and pick 29ish is way too much to be parting with right now for a single player like Warner. We just aren't in that much of a rush to rebuild imo

He may be very good, but I'd argue he's the wrong type of mid we need anyway. If we had a young Sid Draper type already then Warner would be a better fit imo

Maybe Barrass and pick 11 with Warner and pick 19 coming back

I like it but I don’t think Sydney would go for it, depending on how desperate they see the need for an elite full back and how they value that need versus losing an elite young mid.

Are we sure we will get that value elsewhere in a TB trade? I feel like that pick 10 mark might be all we get. In which case maybe meeting in the middle at pick 11 + TB (if valued at pick 10) might be more realistic. Then we hold pick 7 for a good mid.

My hope was that a guy like Langford might be available in the 7-10 range if we split but he is now being talked up as a top 3 bolter.

Yep, Agreed. Suits both teams, TB getting Sydney when they are in the window and will be for TB 4-5 year contract, have mids coming through at get the next one with pick 3.

Eagles have his replacement ready to go in HEdwards and get help where they need it in the midfield and would be a key figure when we are back up at the top. Bringing in Warner would definitely help with keeping Harley around too.

How you round the trade out with picks is easy to do but totally up for discussion along with how much salary the Eagles pay ect.

TB + 4* + 29* for Warner + 21* + 23* and salary. (Picks projected after NGAs, FS, Compo and Academy)

Issue being AFL as a trade movement space is trigger shy and playes having to agree is a big reason. Where it would fall down but the sounds of it, TB will want to go to Vic and Warner likely Freo.

The salary piece is a good point. A team like Sydney won’t have much cap space having signed on some top players this year, while we should have plenty of cap space up our sleeve.

Hope Freo land Bolton and then can’t afford Warner. The talk has been all VIC for TB but surely he can pay his sisters rent to move back to Sydney if he extends his contract for a few years on big money

That's what I thought.

So if we missed out on Travalalia with the Hawks 1st say 11 we use that on a mid?

Or do we reach for Oliver?

Would be nice to somehow upgrade our 2nd to a late 1st. Get in front of band 3 compo and others who are interested. But that likely costs a F2nd. So not sure the value in that.
So this is the beauty of this year's draft in that you should be able to get what you want where your picks lie. A reach of 5 to 10 in some parts of the draft is pretty irrelevant.

Let's look at the clubs Tom Barrass might land at and what might be the currency paid.

1. Hawks are 8th and have 2 very winnable games meaning they could land as high as 5th. I would expect a F2 or the Pies R2 this year is the sweetener. That is pick 14 and a late 20's. Pick 14 feels too late for Travaglia but too soon for Oliver while either our R2 or the Pies R2 would be spot on for Davis

2. Dogs are 7th and should beat Norf this week but then face GWS at Ballarat. Lose that and they could finish 9th. There could be an English compo pick after that (say pick 11) and they are likely to get the Geelong pick for Smith at say 17. We aren't getting both. If it is Garcia and 17, we can afford to go Oliver at 17.

3. If Swans are runner up again, they might decide Tom and their R1 and Norf PP 19. They probably end up at say 18 and 20. Take both and give them something back and we have choices.

Not saying these are the deals, but we should get something decent for Tom and it could be 2 picks this year or spread over 2 years. Either way, we can take a Travaglia if he is there or an Oliver if it is a bit later or a Davis at our R2 or Pies R2 if in play.

This is not the year I want to spend a load of currency moving up.

I am also reducing my "really want" tag on Travaglia now that Ginbey has blossomed as a HBF and is showing he can break the lines in that role (as I believe can Hough). With that in mind, I happily go say Drape or FOS at 3 and Lalor/Lindsay/Murphy/Gross/Allan etc at the Tom trade in pick.

I have on my board a massive number of talls at the later teens and early 20's. We are set for talls so we might do well in dropping back on draft night and extracting from clubs wanting a tall.

Looking forward to it. Does seem weird all 3 align to the same number 1 pick team. They ask him? How’s it work?

It seems weird and suspicious to me that Victorian AFL sides get to effectively trial Victorian draft prospects in their reserves sides. If the number 1 kid in the country was West Australian and we got permission to play him in the Beagles there’d be an uproar.

If the aim is to see how the kids go against adults, there’s half a dozen standalone VFL sides Smith and Langford and co could play for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The salary piece is a good point. A team like Sydney won’t have much cap space having signed on some top players this year, while we should have plenty of cap space up our sleeve.

Hope Freo land Bolton and then can’t afford Warner. The talk has been all VIC for TB but surely he can pay his sisters rent to move back to Sydney if he extends his contract for a few years on big money
I think everyone is maybe not thinking about TB wife. While TB clearly a great family man having listened to his Pod with Dyl. His wife would have a bigger say.

She might prefer the Sydney life style (at least they have beaches) than the cold Vic one. She came close already by the sounds of it to moving the Sydney. Cheap flights and quick flights for the Sis and bro to come up and watch games.

(I do think it is Vic for him but who knows)

Last edited:
So this is the beauty of this year's draft in that you should be able to get what you want where your picks lie. A reach of 5 to 10 in some parts of the draft is pretty irrelevant.

Let's look at the clubs Tom Barrass might land at and what might be the currency paid.

1. Hawks are 8th and have 2 very winnable games meaning they could land as high as 5th. I would expect a F2 or the Pies R2 this year is the sweetener. That is pick 14 and a late 20's. Pick 14 feels too late for Travaglia but too soon for Oliver while either our R2 or the Pies R2 would be spot on for Davis

2. Dogs are 7th and should beat Norf this week but then face GWS at Ballarat. Lose that and they could finish 9th. There could be an English compo pick after that (say pick 11) and they are likely to get the Geelong pick for Smith at say 17. We aren't getting both. If it is Garcia and 17, we can afford to go Oliver at 17.

3. If Swans are runner up again, they might decide Tom and their R1 and Norf PP 19. They probably end up at say 18 and 20. Take both and give them something back and we have choices.

Not saying these are the deals, but we should get something decent for Tom and it could be 2 picks this year or spread over 2 years. Either way, we can take a Travaglia if he is there or an Oliver if it is a bit later or a Davis at our R2 or Pies R2 if in play.

This is not the year I want to spend a load of currency moving up.

I am also reducing my "really want" tag on Travaglia now that Ginbey has blossomed as a HBF and is showing he can break the lines in that role (as I believe can Hough). With that in mind, I happily go say Drape or FOS at 3 and Lalor/Lindsay/Murphy/Gross/Allan etc at the Tom trade in pick.

I have on my board a massive number of talls at the later teens and early 20's. We are set for talls so we might do well in dropping back on draft night and extracting from clubs wanting a tall.

Agreed.

This draft we can split and swap a bit but let's not burn picks upgrading a couple of spots. Let the draft come to us. If we miss out on a kid we move to the next ranked on our wish list.

It seems weird and suspicious to me that Victorian AFL sides get to effectively trial Victorian draft prospects in their reserves sides. If the number 1 kid in the country was West Australian and we got permission to play him in the Beagles there’d be an uproar.

If the aim is to see how the kids go against adults, there’s half a dozen standalone VFL sides Smith and Langford and co could play for.
Yep they had Harley going from Carlton to Essendon last year.

I think everyone is maybe not thinking about TB wife. While TB clearly a great family man having listened to his Pod with Dyl. His wife would have a bigger say.

She might prefer the Sydney life style than the Cold Vic one. She came close already by the sounds of it to moving the Sydney. Cheap flights and quick flights for the Sis and bro to come up and watch games.

(I do think it is Vic for him but who knows)
Spoken like a married man.

Does anyone know what this so called handshake agreement with Barass was? I can't believe any player manager would ever let their players agree to that sort of deal, Sounds incredibly foolish.
He only moves if we let him, this talk of him walking out is rubbish.
We either get a deal to good to keep him or he plays out his contract.
Nobody knows what the agreement was but apparently his manager advised him not to do it but he did it anyway, then was disappointed with the outcome.

Spoken like a married man.
Haha. Takes one to know one.

Yep a married man with kids and wanted to move interstate for a job which had several locations. Gave her the list and got it given back with tick and cross of the locations I could go to.

Life style plays a huge part because I don’t think the contracts will be that different of what clubs are offering him.

They train with the AFL sides during the pre-season like they do everywhere then presumably, they play for the VFL sides due to the zones.

Don't really think it gives clubs much of an advantage over others, as anyone can go watch them play.

Tigers may benefit because they get a closer look at them but in the case of Jagga Smith(for instance), he played all through juniors with Richmond's VFL system, I believe.

i don't think it gives any team a significant advantage on who to draft. Didn't help Essendon/Carlton with Reid last year, for instance.

Nobody knows what the agreement was but apparently his manager advised him not to do it but he did it anyway, then was disappointed with the outcome.
Any follow up why his manager didn’t want him to do it? Want him to go to Sydney by that stage? Didn’t think he should ask for a new drawn up contract?

Just weird because what seems to be a regular Tradies pod segment ‘how to get Harley out’. Cleary said should Eagles play nice with TB manger because he has the same manager as Harley. Did think, didn’t TB go against his managers advice?

Might have something to do with zoning and where they grew up?

If there's a number 1 quality player in the Mandurah reason, then they would like line up for Peel. They did have Naughton a few years ago in that predicament, albeit not rated as number 1.

They train with the AFL sides during the pre-season like they do everywhere then presumably, they play for the VFL sides due to the zones.

Don't really think it gives clubs much of an advantage over others, as anyone can go watch them play.

Tigers may benefit because they get a closer look at them but in the case of Jagga Smith(for instance), he played all through juniors with Richmond's VFL system, I believe.

i don't think it gives any team a significant advantage on who to draft. Didn't help Essendon/Carlton with Reid last year, for instance.

They’d get a pretty good idea of their work ethic, how they train and prepare for games, how they might go in another position…

Langford’s a Dandenong product, why is he playing for Richmond and not Frankston Dolphins? Smith and O’Sullivan are both Oakleigh Chargers who traditionally have a relationship with Port Melbourne.

Meanwhile we don’t even have our NGA academy players in our WAFL side.

I just think it’s suss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back