List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Any follow up why his manager didn’t want him to do it? Want him to go to Sydney by that stage? Didn’t think he should ask for a new drawn up contract?

Just weird because what seems to be a regular Tradies pod segment ‘how to get Harley out’. Cleary said should Eagles play nice with TB manger because he has the same manager as Harley. Did think, didn’t TB go against his managers advice?

TB appears to have gone to Nisbett/RoB(or whoever was in charge of list management at that time) and received a 'handshake' deal, which Gieschen told him not to do.

Since then, the regime changed and he received a small bump but nothing that was 'promised' because those 2 are no longer in charge.

I imagine his manager thought it should've been left to him to actually do his job and get something in writing but TB jumped the gun.

Not sure what that has to do with Harley/Gieschen, other than Vic media having a wet dream of Harley playing for a 'big' Vic club.

TB appears to have gone to Nisbett/RoB(or whoever was in charge of list management at that time) and received a 'handshake' deal, which Gieschen told him not to do.

Since then, the regime changed and he received a small bump but nothing that was 'promised' because those 2 are no longer in charge.

I imagine his manager thought it should've been left to him to actually do his job and get something in writing but TB jumped the gun.

Not sure what that has to do with Harley/Gieschen, other than Vic media having a wet dream of Harley playing for a 'big' Vic club.
Weirdly McClure was the one who shot it down.

They’d get a pretty good idea of their work ethic, how they train and prepare for games, how they might go in another position…

Langford’s a Dandenong product, why is he playing for Richmond and not Frankston Dolphins? Smith and O’Sullivan are both Oakleigh Chargers who traditionally have a relationship with Port Melbourne.

Meanwhile we don’t even have our NGA academy players in our WAFL side.

I just think it’s suss.

Because like us, the players train on with a VFL side and get to play in the local league. The difference is that our players are tied to other WAFL clubs already, having come through the Colts system.

It's not a Vic thing, Levi Ashcroft played for Brisbane VFL side on the weekend.

Seems it's more of a WAFL thing than some 'advantage' being handed to the Vic sides.

I imagine WAFL clubs don't want young players coming through their system to play for WCE/Freo.

I'm pretty sure the same thing happens in the SANFL.

How could any team justify paying a first and second rounder for a bloke with a bad back whose 29.

You'd think teams would be looking at how poorly the Tim Kelly trade went for us.
Its not his back that is the worry.

I have a feeling he and the club are ignoring his concussion issues so he can get a fat new contract.

He wants the security of the big contract and we want draft picks

I am all for as many Vic kids training and playing with the Tigers AFL/VFL team.
Means they get a lot more in depth look and hopefully keeps them away from Draper.

Because like us, the players train on with a VFL side and get to play in the local league. The difference is that our players are tied to other WAFL clubs already, having come through the Colts system.

It's not a Vic thing, Levi Ashcroft played for Brisbane VFL side on the weekend.

Seems it's more of a WAFL thing than some 'advantage' being handed to the Vic sides.

I imagine WAFL clubs don't want young players coming through their system to play for WCE/Freo.

Ashcroft’s a bit different because he’s committed to the Lions as a father-son, I don’t think there’d be too many Sandringham Dragons prospects who’d be lining up for Brisbane’s VFL side otherwise.

I get that it’s a product of the different systems in place in the different states, but on this occasion the outcome is that a big Vic club who is likely to hold the number 1 pick is being given the opportunity to audition a handful of players, an opportunity that wouldn’t be available to other clubs. It just seems to be another “one of those things” that just happens to give a leg up to the one of the AFL’s darlings.

IMO no, because we will still be in the black overall if we are paying 100-200k.

However I hope we actually offered TB a 50k pay rise per annum and not something like 25k or less. That way if he wants to make bank its not realistic to expect 100k pay rises and best for everyone to move on for a net gain.
From what I gather TB has roughly 3 years at 800k per year left with us .

He is getting 5 year x 900k offers .

With the Pay increases clubs have cash to burn .

I don't think we have a problem matching the 900k part we are just not giving him an extra 2 years .

So he is getting offered 2.1million more total than his current deal .

I doubt we stand in the way but we would expect compensation for a contacted player with a 4.5million dollar contract offered by another club . He is not a free agent .

Clubs like hawks , Carlton and bulldogs who have already stocked young talent and need high end key players will part with good picks to get him

Ashcroft’s a bit different because he’s committed to the Lions as a father-son, I don’t think there’d be too many Sandringham Dragons prospects who’d be lining up for Brisbane’s VFL side otherwise.

I get that it’s a product of the different systems in place in the different states, but on this occasion the outcome is that a big Vic club who is likely to hold the number 1 pick is being given the opportunity to audition a handful of players, an opportunity that wouldn’t be available to other clubs. It just seems to be another “one of those things” that just happens to give a leg up to the one of the AFL’s darlings.

It's just the luck of the draw.

Like I said, Harley trained and played for Essendon and Carlton's VFL teams last year, despite having no chance of drafting him.

In this instance, it's simply a happy coincidence for Richmond to get the opportunity and nothing more than that.

Plenty of the other teams would've had train-ons and players for their VFL affiliates that they had no chance of drafting.

SANFL a little different. Their father son prospect Tyler Welsh got to play for their Ressies this year and went back to WWT u18 during the state carnival.

Do agree it’s a small advantage but probably even bigger as they will have the number 1 pick and all 3 kids will be in that range.

Not as big if they rolled out for 3 different sides or a top 8 side ect.

SANFL a little different. Their father son prospect Tyler Welsh got to play for their Ressies this year and went back to WWT u18 during the state carnival.

Do agree it’s a small advantage but probably even bigger as they will have the number 1 pick and all 3 kids will be in that range.

Not as big if they rolled out for 3 different sides or a top 8 side ect.
I get that concern but I don't think it's specifically an 'advantage' that's been handed to Richmond, just the luck of the draw in this particular case.

I don't think it's much of an advantage either, all recruiters would have a fair idea whether players are good trainers, their work ethic, etc.

I'll give this game a shot. If TB going to Sydney:

Warner + 19 to Freo for 7, 12, 16
Sydney 7+16 to WCE for TB + F2

Eagles gain: 7 + 16
Eagles lose: TB + F2

Sydney gain: TB + 12
Sydney lose: Warner + 19

Freo gain: Warner + 19
Freo lose: 7, 12, 16

So this is the beauty of this year's draft in that you should be able to get what you want where your picks lie. A reach of 5 to 10 in some parts of the draft is pretty irrelevant.

Let's look at the clubs Tom Barrass might land at and what might be the currency paid.

1. Hawks are 8th and have 2 very winnable games meaning they could land as high as 5th. I would expect a F2 or the Pies R2 this year is the sweetener. That is pick 14 and a late 20's. Pick 14 feels too late for Travaglia but too soon for Oliver while either our R2 or the Pies R2 would be spot on for Davis

2. Dogs are 7th and should beat Norf this week but then face GWS at Ballarat. Lose that and they could finish 9th. There could be an English compo pick after that (say pick 11) and they are likely to get the Geelong pick for Smith at say 17. We aren't getting both. If it is Garcia and 17, we can afford to go Oliver at 17.

3. If Swans are runner up again, they might decide Tom and their R1 and Norf PP 19. They probably end up at say 18 and 20. Take both and give them something back and we have choices.

Not saying these are the deals, but we should get something decent for Tom and it could be 2 picks this year or spread over 2 years. Either way, we can take a Travaglia if he is there or an Oliver if it is a bit later or a Davis at our R2 or Pies R2 if in play.

This is not the year I want to spend a load of currency moving up.

I am also reducing my "really want" tag on Travaglia now that Ginbey has blossomed as a HBF and is showing he can break the lines in that role (as I believe can Hough). With that in mind, I happily go say Drape or FOS at 3 and Lalor/Lindsay/Murphy/Gross/Allan etc at the Tom trade in pick.

I have on my board a massive number of talls at the later teens and early 20's. We are set for talls so we might do well in dropping back on draft night and extracting from clubs wanting a tall.
Where do you have moraes landing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At pick 3 my clear preference is Draper, but if he's gone then FOS is my preferred. Seeing him with ball in hand, and knowing in years past he's been an accumulator I think is enough. I'd be nervous with Smith, the disposal, frame & seeming lack of running power is enough to put me off for a top 3 pick. Smillie I just don't think I can handle looking at that noggin for 10+ years. Also would've thought with his frame & athleticism he should be better, I'd be concerned he projects similar to Ginbey as a mid.

Wouldn't mind a split to one of Murphy, Langford or Lindsay plus Travaglia.
He’s only about 3 weeks late with that post 😂

At pick 3 my clear preference is Draper, but if he's gone then FOS is my preferred. Seeing him with ball in hand, and knowing in years past he's been an accumulator I think is enough. I'd be nervous with Smith, the disposal, frame & seeming lack of running power is enough to put me off for a top 3 pick. Smillie I just don't think I can handle looking at that noggin for 10+ years. Also would've thought with his frame & athleticism he should be better, I'd be concerned he projects similar to Ginbey as a mid.

Wouldn't mind a split to one of Murphy, Langford or Lindsay plus Travaglia.

He’s only about 3 weeks late with that post 😂
Smillie reminds me of Yeo. Could be a midfield bull.

Good looking rooster too 😄

I get that concern but I don't think it's specifically an 'advantage' that's been handed to Richmond, just the luck of the draw in this particular case.

I don't think it's much of an advantage either, all recruiters would have a fair idea whether players are good trainers, their work ethic, etc.
How was luck of the draw decided, would determine how lucky they are? Definitely slight advantage for mine but not worth jumping up and down about compared to others.

Wasn’t FOS North aligned? So will go play for them this week? Due to North having a bye last week.

Best thing for everyone is the are playing at the level before the season is over which I think is this week.

How was luck of the draw decided, would determine how lucky they are? Definitely slight advantage for mine but not worth jumping up and down about compared to others.

Wasn’t FOS North aligned? So will go play for them this week? Due to North having a bye last week.

Best thing for everyone is the are playing at the level before the season is over which I think is this week.
Not really sure how it works myself, because it's not something that bothers me personally.

All recruiters will get a look at them and all recruiters will have a fair idea of how they prepare, training standards, etc.

It's not like they're hidden away in some bush league, after all.

Not really sure how it works myself, because it's not something that bothers me personally.

All recruiters will get a look at them and all recruiters will have a fair idea of how they prepare, training standards, etc.

It's not like they're hidden away in some bush league, after all.
Haha. Of course not but you can say where they play on a weekend.

FOS some see as a mid and others see as a hbf. You get to determine where he plays his one or two games against men before you draft him with a lot of clubs biggest asset they have. Picks 1-3.

Slight advantage but not the be all and ending all. Getting 3 out of the best 6 kids is even a little more of an advantage. Like I said nothing to jump up and down about compared to other things

Last edited:
I think everyone is maybe not thinking about TB wife. While TB clearly a great family man having listened to his Pod with Dyl. His wife would have a bigger say.

She might prefer the Sydney life style (at least they have beaches) than the cold Vic one. She came close already by the sounds of it to moving the Sydney. Cheap flights and quick flights for the Sis and bro to come up and watch games.

(I do think it is Vic for him but who knows)

As an East Coast based Eagles fan I can confirm Footscray is certainly no Bondi. Especially not for WAGs I would suspect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back